Minor/Repaint: My Classics Skyfire

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Massdestruction, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Finished this mid-May but didn't start posting here til recently. I couldn't resist making a Classics Skyfire when Target had clearanced Jetfire for $10. I know the paint is a little clumpy on the backpack, but I'm still happy with it.

I kept the movement that used to release the backpack booster guns. I made it so in jet mode they are pushed back allowing the front of the booster to extend closer to the front cockpit while the upper cockpit stays back. In robot mode, they are pushed forward which allows the front of the booster to be closer to the robot's head and the upper cockpit is pushed more toward the top of the robot's back. This also allowed the wings to automatically swing up when the booster is compressed in robot mode.

So without further ado... Here's my Classics Skyfire!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love everything except for the jetpack. Just not feeling it.

But the figure without it looks fantastic.

3. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

cool

4. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Looks good.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm just not feelin' this custom. It's like you took a fantastic figure and downgraded it. It still looks good, but it looked better.

But I commend you for your efforts.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Not bad!

7. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

Glad that someone besides me likes the G1 cartoon Skyfire character. I wish the Classics Jetfire had that backpack addition to make it fit more with Skyfire than trying to tie into the Macross Jetfire look. I would’ve bought it then.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's not trying to tie in with with Macross, it's actually based on the Jetfire design from Stormbringer.

Also, you missed out on an awesome toy.

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah Jetfire is easily one of the best figures of 2006, no contest.

As for the custom itself, its a bit rough around the edges, but I think with a little touching up it'd be a fine piece.
    DN

10. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Which in turn is an homage to the original toy which was a Macross Valkyrie. Either way classics Jetfire/Skyfire is still a great toy. I made a new back pack for my own to get the Skyfire look, but mine can still use the Stormbringer armor for that look as well.

Looks like you moved the wings which means this guy has to have the pack on all the time.

11. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    It is sort of downgraded for the purposes of G1 accuracy, but like others have said I still prefer the original version. They really outdid themselves with it. It was the first toy I bought in the line and definitely sets the bar for all the others.

I'd even say he's one of the best TFs ever. :rock 

[​IMG]

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is going to be a history lesson. The first Jetfire toy utilized the Takatoku 1/55 scale VF-1S Super valkrie mold, with a VE-1 ELINT seeker fueselage(blunt nose). Bandai had the molds at the time when Hasbro requested them, and they also lent out their Dorvack and insect robot molds. The Dorvack molds would later become Whirl and Roadbuster. The insect robots became the 2nd batch of Insecticons. The Takatoku 1/55 VF-1 valkyrie toy has the distinction of being the first kanzen henkei(perfect transformation) toy, a toy that transformed but did not sacrifice the look of either mode. More info here.

Classics Jetfire is not based on the Stormbringer design. It is the other way around. Don Figueroa got an early glimpse at the Classics Jetfire toy, and he used that as a basis for his Stormbringer Jetfire illustrations. He is often credited with designing Classics Jetfire, but the only one he designed to my knowledge is Classics Optimus Prime. An Australian designer from Takara designed Bumblebee and Mirage, and one of Takara's designers from Japan designed both Classics Starscream and Movie Starscream. Classics Jetfire has influences from both the original Jetfire toy, and the Skyfire cartoon design. Its often described as being designed and influenced as far as it could be without directly remaking the VF-1 valkyrie design. It has a lot of influence from the F-14 Tomcat as well. The VF-1 is often said to be based off of the F-14 Tomcat, stemming from its twin vertical stabilizers to its swing wing design, only lacking horizontal stabilizers, and also having the jolly rogers skull and crossbones liveries on the skull leader version. However, Kawamori Shoji, the designer of the VF-1, has said that the VF-1 is actually based on the F-111 and F/A-18, and that is was designed in battroid(robot mode) first, then into jet, so it is coincidental that it is likened to an F-14 so much. We can summarize that ultimately, that it is based on the F-14. A funny thing to know, is that the gerwalk mode stemmed from the day Kawamori created a transforming VF-1 out of newspaper, and the inbetween stage of robot and fighter became the gerwalk mode. Also neater, is that he may have had a hand in the original Diaclone F-15 acrobat fighter, which became Starscream, and we all know who designed the Masterpiece version nearly 30 years later.

Also, notice how the armored boosters on Classics Skyfire resemble the FAST pack boosters of the VF-1 Super valkyrie. In the Macross/Do You Remember Love? movie, the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie sports a dual cannon that folds down on the right booster tip, rather than a missle pack. Notice how Classics Jetfire has dual cannons on both boosters, and that the cannons can fold down. The helmet is reminscent of the original Jetfire toy, which had a VF-1S head, and the Classics Jetfire helmet looks like an armored version of that.

There is so many visual homages in the sculpt and paint job that lead nearly all of us to see that Classics Jetfire is based not only on the original Jetfire toy(which used a Macross mold itself), cartoon Skyfire, the F-14 Tomcat, but also the VF-1S Strike valkyrie from the Macross/Do You Remember Love? movie. Its not trying to tie into Macross but it sure has influence from it.

Cool custom, the jet mode is better than some of the other ones I have seen, I just with the paint job was cleaner.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    How come nobody ever ever ever takes pictures from OUR galleries??? I took a lot of pictures of him damnit.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lolol  redline

i have to confess, most times when i want to look up toy pics, ill go to seibertron.

on the bash itself, nice idea, but couldve been better on the execution.

besides the general poor finish, the bot mode just looks disproportionate. if g1 accuracy was prioritize, i wouldve went with non-transforming removeable backpack.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Not bad. I've seen this approach before in another custom forum, and I liked it there too. The paint is a bit gloppy, and the backpack unit seems like it sits a little too tall behind the head, but overall it works well.

I never used to like Skyfire all that much, and as a kid I always wished he'd looked more like the Macross-based Jetfire toy version. But now that we have this Classics Jetfire, which is already halfway to being Skyfire, I like the idea of converting him into the G1 cartoon incarnation. The space-jet mode looks pretty much perfect (even considering how weird it is that the wings connect to the booster pack, not the jet itself).

I actually found that Classics Jetfire is a bit overrated. His helmet-head is way oversized, he lacks articulation in a few key spots (above the knees and elbows, NOT below! Why??), he's painfully back-heavy, and his hands and arms really don't conceal well in jet mode. As a stylistic fusion of the sleekness of the Valkyrie with the geometric modernity of the Skyfire design, this figure has some awkward forms. Hardly a perfect figure. Cool, but not as brilliant as he could have been.

zmog

16. Massdestruction

Yes, I moved the wings to be more cartoon accurate. So yeah, the backpack needs to stay on all the time. I figured Skyfire probably never removed his backpack. Though my backpack is still connected the same way as Classics Jetfire's so I can remove it if I ever needed to do any work on it.

As for if I ever wanted to display the original Classics/Stormbringer look. I still have an unmodified version of Jetfire on display too. I only did this custom because I got a second one for $10. And I don't mind them being on display together because in my mind Jetfire and Skyfire are two separate characters. Jetfire being the military strategist and Skyfire being the scientist.

I don't believe in removing pieces while transforming, so swapping a jet mode only backpack with a robot mode only jetpack wouldn't sit well with me. And I'm the one who ultimately has to be pleased with the custom.

Also, if you look at these screencaptures (from seibertron.com... hehehe), he did have a pretty large backpack in robot mode. So my custom isn't very disproportionate in robot or jet modes.

http://www.seibertron.com/images/cartoon/fullsize.php?series=1&subgroup=60&img=Jetfire012.jpg&name=Jetfire+%28aka+Skyfire%29[​IMG]
    http://www.seibertron.com/images/cartoon/fullsize.php?series=1&subgroup=60&img=Jetfire057.jpg&name=Jetfire+%28aka+Skyfire%29[​IMG]
    http://www.seibertron.com/images/cartoon/fullsize.php?series=1&subgroup=60&img=Jetfire038.jpg&name=Jetfire+%28aka+Skyfire%29[​IMG]

You should see how high it would have been if I didn't make the backpack slide down in robot mode.

I agree with you on Jetfire being a bit overrated. Though I like the figure, he just didn't thrill me.

And even though I can understand why some people love this figure, I don't think that my custom is a downgrade. It is a more cartoon accurate version of the character from the cartoon. A character that Hasbro has never given a cartoon accurate figure. The Classics Jetfire does have a few Skyfire-like features like the head, the nose cone and the more rounded appendages, but this was still a toy that mostly looked like his former toy self. When I look at Classics Jetfire that is who I see, toy Jetfire, I don't see Skyfire. So, I made one.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Uhh yeah, I know. I was just pointing out that he is based on Stormbringer Jetfire, you just wasted a lot of time. What I should have said was "I don't think...", because obviously, I know the above, but he's based directly off SB Jetfire, hense the statement I quoted was incorrect in essence, as if he were saying CL JF was directly based of Macross, which he wasn't.

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

This ones for you REDLINE...

[​IMG]

I must admit though...I use Seibertron more often as well...it just seems faster and easier to navigate...

Now onto the custom itself...nice idea going but I think my biggest gripe would be the different shades of red...maybe paint with your red over the remaining factory red on the wings...

19. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Classic Jetfire has a Gerwalk mode too :D  you just have to pose him right since he's a bit nose heavy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Massdestruction

I had thought about doing that. But my brushwork tends to be hit or miss and I didn't want to ruin the stripe detailing on the wings. That's also why the wings weren't repainted white along with most of the rest of the bot. Someday when I have improved I may go back and touch up stuff, but for now I'd rather not risk it.