Minor/Repaint: My Classics Minibots

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Massdestruction, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Finished these a while back. Gears hasn't been started yet, but he will be a bashed Cybertron Hardtop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmmm, this looks familiar ;)  while some of the paint doesn't look very neat, I like the bashing that you've done. how did you do the head for brawn and the pipes for huffer?

on a side note, search for "minibot project" here to see the ones I've done.

3. Massdestruction

Yeah, I'm not the neatest of painters. And most of these pictures were taken after the bots had been sitting on my shelf for a while and been transformered more thn a few times. So some of the original paint has worn.

Brawn's head was bashed from a...

how do I put this...

A transforming ice cream cone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Huffer's pipes/guns are missles from a Zoid. I don't remember which one cause I bought alot on clearance just for the weapons.

Oh, "minibot project". Boy, you're going all out with those, even including the season 3 bots. I have a few of the season 2 bots made using minicons. My hope is to someday have a collection of custom bashed bots for all the season 1 and season 2 characters.

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Windcharger looks great, but I have to agre that these aren't the neates paint jobs, but the work done on the bashing is sweet!

5. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Your concepts are indeed sound, and the bashing is first rate. Windcharger came out particularly well, and I'm sure that if you continue to practice, your painting will improve with time.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice! But i don't really see BB and CJ from Brakedown.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, transforming is murder on paint jobs :( 

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool ideas.

9. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the Windcharger is perfect but the paint could use some touch ups.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but just to show you how I did it, here's my gears:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Breakdown looks great as BB and CJ!

12. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The paint looks a little too thick.

But otherwise, they rule!

13. Massdestruction

No prob. I like seeing what other people did. It sometimes gives me ideas and has on occasion actually made me scratch a project and restart using another mold. Though in this case I really want to see what I can do with Cybertron Hardtop as Gears. I had a perfect piece to simulate the toon head, but I misplaced it in the bash small parts bin (which is actually pretty big. I hope to come across it again soon so I can start Gears.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd agree with ckhtiger here. You've got some WONDERFUL concepts going, but just keep pushing the envelope on your painting skills :thumb  The more you do; the better you'll become :)  I hope to see more from you!

BTW ckh, even your own "hijacking", *shameless plug attacks* are making me proud of you :D 

15. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I guess I can't hi-jack the thread since it already has been. You painted Brawns windows, black, like I should have and you did a nice job with the weapon and head. I'm in agreement on the painting but you bashing skills are excellent. I wasn't sure who the yellow or red guys were until some posted BB and CJ. They look good but wouldn't be my choice for those mods. I like the spoiler mod but the butt kibble doesn't work too well for me.
    If you search for threads started by "me" you will find some more minibots. Including Brawn.
    I would like to say that the movie toys are not working for me as additions to the minibots. They are either too large or too small. The dropkick mold is a needed pickup truck mold but I feel it is too large. Also Ratchet is, both, too large and too small. (and I need an ambulance or paramedic truck).

16. Khaotika

Khaotika Desire Is Dead

Very nice work there, especially Windcharger! :) 

17. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

have to agree with everyone else, your custom work is great, love what you did with Windcharger. Paint needs work though.

Just some advice. Don't skimp on the brushes or paint. You go to a hobby or craftl shop and pick up some decent brushes. Sable hair are usually pretty good, two to three different sizes, definitely a thin detail brush. And get yourself some quality paint and very fine grit sandpaper. If you have good tools it makes the job alot easier.

Once you have the right stuff use several thin coats, if after putting a coat it looks bumpy or uneven lightly sand it before putting on the next coat. This will give you a much cleaner smoother final product. Took me alot of practice and good advice from other bashers but this has improved my own paint work dramatically.

Now any chance you could explain what you did to build up the back end and all on Windcharger?

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seconded.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'd be willing to bet it's styrene, cut to fit.

20. Massdestruction

It mainly involved just gluing a few plastic sheets from the existing feet to the ridge at the rear of the car. I used an old CD case which made it easier to see through and make my cut marks rather than alot of measuring (which I usually mess up on). Then once the pieces were in place, I made the back window shade using the black grooved strip from the CD case. Hope this helps, It's hard for me to explain how I did stuff cause I usually use alot of trial and error and I figure things out as I go along rather than having everything planned out.

Close, CD case. As I said, I like being able to see through it so I can make marks for cutting. I know it's not professional, but I use anything handy and I don't have any craft/hobby stores close to get real supplies.