My cat, the furry alarm clock you can't shut off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CripNite, Jun 24, 2008.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

For the last 2 weeks, almost every morning my cat has started crying away at 6am exactly. It used to be she'd do this once in awhile, but lately it's been more often than not. As I'm someone who gets off work at 1030pm and usually stays up until about 1am, you could see how this could drive a person a little insane as a meowing cat first thing in the morning is just not fun to listen to.

I've had her for almost 10 years, the last year of which she's been an indoor cat. Almost 2 months ago we moved to a new basement suite as the old one had the most assholish upstairs neighbours in the world. The new place is much quieter, but the street it's on is next to a marsh. The early morning this time of the year, you can hear the birds quite a bit, and I'm wondering if this is what is setting her off. I'm only debating because there's been a few rainy days in that time and you hear the birds considerably less on those days. We have one window that we keep the blinds open on for her to sit in and look out (there's no big living room window, just one in our spare/computer room and one in our bedroom which is as far from our bedroom as possible), but we've also tried "grounding" her from the window as a means to keep her from seeing the birds, but it's had no effect on her at all.

I'm at my wit's end. Even if I get up and sit on the couch and watch TV it takes a long time for her to stop crying and go back to sleep. I play with her, but she'll keep crying. I gave her some catnip this morning (fresh catnip which I grew in our herb garden) and it's had some effect, but she's still pacing back and forth, not passing out like she usually does after rubbing her face on it (ALSO: she eats this fresh catnip... usually the dry stuff she just rubs her face into it, but this stuff she eats after doing the rub).

Anyways... anyone who's a cat expert who can help me out or point me out to an answer, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a light sleeper anyways, so it would be beautiful to get a full night sleep right about now. We moved because we were getting woken up by upstairs neighbours constantly (note: the cat did not do this crying act until a month and a half after we had movied, so I don't think it's the old place that "programmed" her to do this), I'd rather not be woken up because of my own cat every day.

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

You said that it's a "she"?

Do you think that she's in heat?

You also mentioned you moved, cats can develop diffent habbits when they're moved away from their terratory. I think maybe your cat just wants to go back to it's old home sense that's what she was familar with. My cats usually freak out of a little while but get use to the new home. Give her time.

Cant think of anything else right now.

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    My cat just started doing that too! It's really odd. My mom thinks he cries when the sprinklers go off. That he hears the water going and he thinks someone is running water. So I guess my dad would get up and wash his face and feed the pets. So he associates the sound of the water going in the morning with getting fed. Not sure if thats the case but he was for a while doing it at 4:45 EXACTLY every morning. I am pretty sure he isn't looking at his watch. So maybe your cat is doing something similar?

4. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

3:50 am here.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    When they make noise early in the morning, it's usually at birds that are up too. She was an outdoor cat for many years and is now an indoor cat? Sounds to me like she misses hunting and wants to get out there and kill some birds. Is she chattering her teeth? Is her tail puffed out?

6. CripNite

Nope. She's fixed.

I did work early shifts for about 5 years, but haven't for over 2 years now. My early shifts had me getting up at 3:30am though. I gotta say that I doubt that has anything to do with it.

You poor, poor bastard.

She's never done the teeth chattering, and I haven't noticed any tail action like that. She usually does this little "cooing" thing at the birds if she's after them, but she's not doing that. She's just doing her "crying" meow.

Oh, and hey... after I finally got her to go back to sleep this morning (and myself as well) I got woken up by some bill collector looking for some person who's not me or my significant other. I told them they had the wrong number (which is funny because I'm the only person to ever have had my phone number) and to take me off their list or whatever. Then... when I got BACK to sleep a second time, they call again and I get to have the fun of telling them again. Both of these phone calls are after my girlfriend told them off for calling at 5:30am three days ago. If it's not a noisy cat, it's a noisy bill collector. I'm gonna be a peach at work tonight.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You need to invest in earplugs, dude. When I used to ABSOLUTELY need sleep, what I'd do is place a loud-ass alarm clock right near my head, put in the earplugs, and go to sleep. It's a nice formula and earplugs like the ones in the link below help you snooze through just about anything - I think they block like 15-20dB of noise.

Howard Leight Max earplugs are what I've used for years when I need sleep and everybody else is being noisy. $20 nets you 400 earplugs.

8. CripNite

I slept with earplugs in for nearly 10 months in my last place when I had the upstairs neighbours from hell. There was times I'd get woken up at 4:30 by the adults screaming at each other. Plus they had 3 terribly behaved children that would just annoy the piss out of you all day. I'm glad I moved.

Actually, the catnip worked pretty well this morning, she's been sleeping for quite awhile. I'm awake, but that's just me, I think. I have a hard time getting back to sleep as my mind wanders pretty easily.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Give her plenty of positive reinforcement by giving her catnip and attention when she's *supposed* to be awake, during the day or after work but before bed. I had a stint with one of my cats getting up early and I was warned to be careful not to make a habit out of paying too much attention/affection at that time or he would come to expect it.

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    My Indoor Tabby Cats wake me up at all hours of the early morning (I crash around 2:00am ish, 12:00am if I'm dead tired), just to leave or come into the room -- I keep my door shut -- or so they can be fed.

They neow at the top of their lungs, usually right into my ears, whenever I'm sleep. When it was hotter than hell, they wanted me to constantly open the door and I had the AC on trying to keep them and myself cool.

11. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

My two siamese cats were usually pretty quiet. Especially in the morning. Unless they were sick or it was thundering outside. They actually had the opposite effect on me. I'd wake up with them sleeping on the blanket over my legs, and since I didn't want to disturb them at times, I'd sleep more. They made me lazy alot.

12. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I have a furry alarm clock too.

It goes "yiff yiff yiff".

It was a present for Twin Twist, but I couldn't bear to part with it.

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

:lolol 

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Something's making her anxious. A drop of Bach's Flower Essences Rescue Remedy placed at the back base of the ear (not inside) and rubbed in, plus another at the spot where you'd rub a flea control product helps. Its an herbal mixture you can buy at a lot of stores, particularly health and organic food stores, and is actually recommended for anxiety in pets and people. You can also put a drop in her water or canned food. I did the last with a foster cat who's recovering from surgery she had yesterday, and its made her darned mellow.

--Moony

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:( 

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You know those cat clocks where the eyes move and the tail pendulously swings back and forth? It was sort of like that.

Sort of.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yup, ours does the same thing too. I'd swear she can read the clock, because when I had to get up at 4:30, she'd start meowing RIGHT on the dot. then, when it was my day off, she'd still do the same thing.

I think they just think it's time for you to get up, maybe to feed them, maybe to play with them. one or the other.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Or so you think...

Also, Lance wins yet another thread.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Did Doc Brown have one of them on his wall of clocks?

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Hanging a wall clock
    He falls off of the toilet
    Flux capacitor

-haiku by flamepanther