My cat passed away today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickback, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Today my cat of 18 years, Snuggles, passed away.

I awoke the morning of October 10th to Snuggles having a massive seizure. She has been having them for a few months now and I had seen them before but something about this one just screamed abnormal. I picked her up, she was limp in my arms, and I moved her to her favorite blanket and set her down. At this point I was in tears, because I wasn't losing a pet, I was losing my best friend since I was 7 years old.

I took her to the vet before I went in to work and they immediately put her on liquids and wanted to watch her overnight.

At about noon today the vet called me and told me the bad news -- her body was shutting down, little by little. Her kidneys were already shot, she had become anemic, she was probably only a few days away from becoming diabetic, and her red count was so high because she was literally struggling to stay alive.

I called my parents and told my mom the news and she took it very hard. My mom fell and hurt her head very badly back when I was in high school and Snuggles was a huge part of her recovery. My mom would lay on the couch for hours at a time in tears and Snuggles would be on her lap the entire time.

My mom and dad decided the best course of action was to put her to sleep, to finally let her relax and no longer be in pain. They called me back to tell me their decision (I'm sure the WalMart staff in Commerce City enjoyed me nearly in tears) and they went to call the vet. I got a phone call back after an hour from my parents.

Snuggles had a seizure after the vet had called me originally, and this one was her last. She died having a seizure, the vet was unable to rececitate her.

This may sound stupid to so many of you but I feel like total shit over this. The last night she was home she wouldn't leave me alone, kept laying on me and following me around. My parents are out of town so I've been watching her all week. I feel like I let them down, like I let her die. There was vomit near my bedroom door when I woke up that fateful morning, she had been looking for me apparently and couldn't find me. I was in my parents bedroom because that's where she always went every morning.

Now comes the hardest part -- putting away all the things that belong to her, moving the blankets that are up around the house where she liked to lay.

I haven't lost a pet, I've lost a best friend.

At least now she will be with her sisters, Buttons and Sugar, who passed away 8 years and 5 years ago, respectively. Rest in peace Snuggles, I'll see you again in the future.

2. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Very very sorry to hear about your lost. :( 

It's okay to feel the way you feel. A pet dying is just like having a family member pass on. And don't feel guilty. I had a loving pet die a few years back from drowning in a pool. I felt so bad over it, but I came to the realization that I had no control over it. Coming to that conclusion however was very difficult. It involved a lot of deep thinking and talking it over with my husband. Maybe talking it out with someone will help you out.

3. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dude, that sucks man. I think most of us have been there. Don't beat yourself up over it too harshly, you did everything you could. That's all anyone can ask for.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Sorry to hear that.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Im sorry to her about your loss. Im sure she had a happy life, it sound like she was really loved. She had a long life too, which is really amazing. Just find comfort in knowing shes in a better place.

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I may not have always seen eye to eye with you Kickback, but as far as this goes my heart goes out to ya. I'm truly very sorry dude, I know what it feels like to lose a friend like that. I grew up with a cat that was taken due to feline luekemia late in life, and then my calico that tried to take her place was put down last year due to cancer. It's tough, but we have to go on. You loved the cat and that's all that matters now.

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Hmm. I was gonna make a joke about a grandma, and possibly a brotheranlaw or sisteranlaw, but perhaps I shall pass at this time.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry for your loss, Kickback. Nothing I can say will take away the pain of losing a friend. RIP Snuggles.

9. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

that sucks man. Im gonna go hold my kitty now...

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aw man, my cat is purdy old too.

i thought theyre supposed to run away when they know theyre gonna die? like joe pesci in 'with honors'.

sorry for the loss, tinkles.

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel for you man. My family had a cat (named Mr. Cat, my mom's name since she disliked cats and would ask him, "Cat, you wanna die?" every time he'd get into something) he lived for around 15 years and was a central part of the family. He had a relationship that was unique to each of us. We had to have him put to sleep as he was suffering from a very advanced form of arthites.(sp?)

Now I find myself facing the same thing again with my cat Cog. She's around 15-16 and while seemingly healthy, she begining to show signs of her age. (she's slowly losing her eyesight) Anyone who read any Antarctic Press comics in the nineties would recognize her as the same Cog who was thier unofficial mascot. (along with her daughter Sprocket who I heard died in a fire this year)

It is sad to lose any family member and if you ever have had a pet, then you know how much a member of the family they can become to you. It's hard to see them go and all you can do is remember them in your own heart and mind. (and thru all the pics you have of them) And while you can never replace a beloved pet, I'd recommend sharring your home with a new cat at some point when you feel comfortable with it.

Again, sorry for your loss.

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Well, Kickback, I know how you feel. My family lost our dog Mowgli to a rattlesnake back on August 31st. He died three hours after getting bit, despite my Mom and I getting him and our other dog that was bit to the vet within 30 minutes of getting bit.

My family still is crying over his loss, and it has really impacted my Mom who was VERY close to Mowgli. He was her only friend for three years when we first moved to Phoenix. I was at school or studying most of the time, and my Dad was working alot.

When you have a pet such as you did, you bond to that "animal" really close. I have a cat as well that I'm close too and wish could be part of the family. But, Rat Terriers LOVE to chase anything that runs from them. It was that way with our past dog Mowgli and our new puppy Rambo. So, our poor cat is either stuck under the couch or in her room during the day. At night, though, she has full reign of the house.

I cannot fully express how sorry I feel for your loss, as it is a very difficult. I've been through (and still going through) what you're dealing with. My Mom, as close as she was to Mowgli, had to be medicated in order to "function" the first few days after he died. Just a few days prior to Mowgli getting bit I was told by one of my doctors that I should take it easy and not do too much. With all that happened I was literally forced back into driving after not having driven for six months.

Dude, if you really need or want to talk to someone about this, just PM me.

13. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I know how this feels. two years ago in February my cat Sassy died. She'd been my best friend for 12 years. She was always there for me. A good friend, great listener. Cats are wonderful animals. They never judge you or look down on you and love you just for being who you are.

I've spent this much time feeling empty. I'd dream she was still here only to wake up and find her gone. The empty doorway where there once was my cat eagerly greeting me when I came home cut into me every day.

Still with that emptiness I found it hard to find the courage to get a new pet. I was afraid that yet another one would die and I'd have to go through the same thing again.

Last week I finally opened my heart to a new animal. My rabbit 'Nel whom has been the light of my life. She's warm, affectionate, intelligent, always happy to see me. I can't say I chose her, more like she chose me.

I don't think of her as a replacement for Sassy. Rather Nel is a new companion who will comfort the emptiness inside, while at the same time finding a place of her own in my heart.

My advice is this. Even if you're sad and empty without your cat, don't be afraid to open up to a new pet. Animals are understanding in a way humans can't be. A new animal will be able to comfort you in your hardest time and help you move on into the next part of your life.

Believe me you don't want to try going it alone. It's a bleak miserable existance.

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

My condolences. My cat died at 18 a few years back. That was my cat, man. When we went to take a look at the litter of 5-6 kittens, all the rest of them backed away or hid; the (relatively) big black kitty marched up, sniffed my feet and was like, "'Sup?" Named him Dragon (after the big mean fucker in Secret of NIMH) and he lived up to the name. Dude scared away dogs five times his size, hated my mom, tolerated my dad, and would randomly attack everybody else's leg...but would jump on my bed and sleep at the top of my pillow every morning.
    I'm still not ready to get another cat. Don't know that I will. My girlfriend has one and he sort of begrudingly accepts that there's another person around, but his personality is just way different. By the time he passes, there may well be a kid around and he can go pick out his "Dragon."

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The hardest part is putting away her stuff. Just looking around at where she used to lay on the couch, or the chair in the kitchen, or that when I come downstairs in the morning she won't be there to greet me...

Those are the things that are going to hurt the most and take the longest to heal. I knew it was going to be hard, but not this hard.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sorry to hear about that, I really am.

17. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I know it sucks to lose a pet that you love.

Sorry to hear about that, Kickback. :( 

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

*Looks at our cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, laying on the futon.*
    Sorry to hear that, man.

Y'know, I was totally against getting our cat when we got him as a kitten, but I've grown to love this little guy. He seems to have such a big heart for me and my wife, but he absolutely HATES Insane Galvy. Hisses a lot every time he's over hear.

Insane Galvy, are you satan?

19. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I know how you feel, Kickback. I too lost a friend. My cat, Rusty, passed away at the age of 9 on July 23rd of this year (I made a thread about this earlier in the year when it happened). It sucks losing a pet you loved so dearly. I'm sure both our cats and everyone else's pets will be in a better place now.

R.I.P. Rusty
    R.I.P. Snuggles

:( 

20. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Go ahead if you feel like crying, it's better than holding back.