My Cat is Pooping on the Floor.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poho, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    One of our cats is no longer using the litter box. she peeing inside her little house thingy attached to her scratching post, and pooping on the floor just outside of it. She's barely a year old, so it's not feline senility or anything. However, she has been acting very strangely for the last two weeks and has almost consistently had shit stuck in her fur.

anyone know what we can do about this?

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Do you have just one litter box for multiple cats?

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

She doesn't like the litterbox any more. It's either dirty as fuck, full or being used by the other cat.

You need to figure out which before she becomes constipated and very sick.

4. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    or the cat is pissed at you for some reason, is there a change in your life, new guy/girl, pet, change in food... but twin twist is also correct if the litter box is probably no good anylonger.

5. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Clean the litter box!
    If it's not the litter box, then I've got a few suggestions for you.
    Is he the top cat in the household?
    Have you been mean to her? Cause some cats will purposley poop on the floor to get attenttion

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed with the above, and also, use vinegar to clean and sterilize the spots where she's peed already to take care of the smell and deter a re-pee. And think about a second litter box.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yep, whatever else has already said.

Cat are EXTREMELY picky about their litter boxes. You can either consider getting a second or committ to changing your little box once a day.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you have two cats, you should have three litter boxes. Cats are shitty like that, the number of litterboxes needed increases exponentially with the number of cats.

I had the same issues until I learned this and it's helped greatly. They should also be cleaned daily.

9. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Is your litter box big enough? Is it almost always clean? Is it near an area where an outdoor cat could have peed around?

Usually my cats poo outside the box if it's dirty enough, but it is big enough for the three of them.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pee and poop on the cat. That will teach it.

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    KILL it with fire!!!

The litter box, silly. Not the cat ¬_¬

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    add a second litter box i have 3 cats and 2 works well for them and clean them regularly

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Yeah, as others have said, cats can be exceptionally picky about cleanliness.

My cat's box is cleaned twice a day, once before I leave for work, once when I get back. He will literally wait to use it until I clean it. Within minutes of the second cleaning he's in there, very consistently.

What later became housecats initially evolved in arid regions, and they instinctively seek loose, particulate ground (ie: sand) to bury their waste in. It draws out the moisture and renders it harder for any predator/competor to detect. If they can detect it clearly, they will tend not to want to go there until they can't anymore. In a house, there are no other options for them except the litterbox, so it gets problematic if their instincts are telling them it's not "safe" to go there.

Dogs, on the other hand, evolved from wolves, which have few competitors due to their size and social nature. When they drop their waste in an area, it helped keep other predators out.

- Coeloptera

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

If I had a cat, and it shit on my floor, it'll quickly become and "outside" cat

15. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never had a problem with my cat dumping everywhere, but he has had problems with peeing for a long time. We only had one litter box and two cats. We finally got some advice for the 2nd litter box (supposed to be 3 but we have an apartment) and thats helped tremendously. We also moved into a new apartment and he hasn't peed anywhere outside the box yet.

Also, try rewarding the cat for using the litterbox with treats or some lunch meat :) 

16. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

I have the very same problem.

I have three cats and one of my female cats is notorious for pooping outside the litter box of peeing outside the litter box.

First, make sure the cat is in good health. Cats cannot tell you they feel ill so doing out things like pooping or peeing in another area gets your attention.

Second, get another litter box. Two cats will share one litter box, more than this and they will start having issues. I have two different types just to give you some examples on how picky this female cat is. She likes to only use litter box 2 and pitches a fit when other cats use it. The other female cat is borderline feral and at least dumps in box one, the boy could give a damn and craps in any box. He has human size crap, where does he store it, it is so big it can jam the first litter box.

I have this model

ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box - Litter Boxes - Litter Boxes & Accessories - PetSmart

I also have this model

Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System - Litter Boxes - Litter Boxes & Accessories - PetSmart

Third, your cat may have what is technically called litter box avoidance. It is known in the vet world and is difficult to deal with. Sad is it is irreversible. I recommend using this product here.

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Litter Attractant - Litter - Cat - PetSmart

This product has special ingredients that makes your cat want to go back to the can and take a dump.

Of all else if you see the cat poop in the litter box old or new and especially if it meows at you, praise the cat.

Litter avoidance is a stubborn and almost irreversible habit.

Feel free to message me and I will help you the best I can.

AA

17. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    hmmm....

well it sounds from this that i need a second litterbox (i do have two cats) and that they need to be cleaned every day. this isn't that big of a deal.

but yeah your explanations have pretty much explained her odd behavior.

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

My nine cats share one litterbox. I clean daily, of course, but I couldn't imagine having 13 litterboxes lol.

Though I use to have one in my private bathroom for my cat Baby. Then she died, but another cat (Little Man) has taken to shitting on the floor where that litterbox use to be.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh snap dude, I think you hold the TFW record.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Get a dog instead.