My car Blew up, what to do....what....to.... do.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Well, I blew up my second Camaro last week. Took the oil pan off and I most definitely roasted some bearings. The result of piss poor workmanship, I had the motor built a year ago by supposedly the best shop in Florida because I didn't have the time to do it myself. The result was a poor tune of the PCM and nick'd cam bearings from the amateur mechanic. Add a stock 346 cubic inch motor pushed to the limit making 550 horsepower and it lasted only 6000 miles.

So, I have a dead 94 Z28 and a dead 2002 SS. Do I scrap em and sell em, buy myself a new Camaro when they come out? Or rebuild one or both and have to wait 3 years to get the new Camaro. I am looking at at least 5K to fix the SS, another 10-20K to do the Z28. The new Camaro would be stock, the old ones would be pushing 600 and 700 horsepower respectively. I think the new car would be gorgeous, but slow as hell to me. I am confused, pissed, and depressed all at the same time.

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude that sucks. Could you sell one to get money to fix the other up? I don't know much about cars, but I feel for anyone who suffers from crap workmanship.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Fix up the SS.

4. Blue Meanie

Problem is the 02 is built and only needs a shortblock, I'd have to get it rebuilt to make any money on it anyway. The 94 was a built 383 LT1 I blew up when it went lean on the nitrous. No motor and modded to hell with a rollcage, no radio, no A/C, no airbags, racing harness, no ABS brakes. Its kind of worthless, maybe 2K tops. It was also my first car when I was 17, owned it brand new and have had it 13 years. I am extremely attached to it. So I am stuck any way you look at it. I have an 05 Acura TL as my daily driver, and we just bought an Equinox for my wife. So I am not without transportation. Its just so aggrevating to spend a shit ton of money and do all this work, for it to croak a year later because of an incompetent mechanic.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sell both and buy a Honda Civic.

Then save a bunch of money and in ten years, buy a flying Camaro.

EDIT: Ok, you got a Hondaish car already. So just save up for the flying Camaro and buy it in 7 years.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:useless 

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Find the time, and shortblock the 02 yourself....it's the "easiest and quickest" to do right now....

Then sell it...like you said 5k to do it...you can make that back plus some for an 02 thats built....take that loot and start to build another engine for the 94 and keep that one....trust me, if its got sentimental value, you'll regret getting rid of it in the long run....

I got rid of my first Malibu I had as a teenager, and I have regretted it ever since....yes...even after almost twenty years later, I still wished I would have kept it....

I've had 4 other Malibu's since then, and none of them have been the same.....I've got them close, but they just didn't compare to the first one.

8. Blue Meanie

Pics of the carnage or cars? I have some debating to do. I have a class action lawsuit check coming in the fall. I guess I will wait to see what I get before make a decision.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree with this advice. Buy the shortblock and put it in yourself. It may take longer, but it'll be worth the savings.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Buy a Honda and quit speeding around so goddamn much.

Your neighbors will probably like you better too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Buy a Scion XB and join the club...

12. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

You sound like you like horsepower so don't listen to these guys with all this Honda/Scion nonsense. Get yourself a GM crate engine with a warranty. I wouldn't let the shoddy workmanship guy off the hook so easily either. 6000 miles and then blowing up would probably not look to good in the eyes of a small claims court.

13. Blue Meanie

I would roll around in a 10 speed bike before I bought me a Honda. Wait! Already bought a Honda, damn. My neighbors don't like because because they were tired of getting whipped in their imports, they be happy enough because I blew it up.

My Z (old front end, newer style on it now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The SS (old pic but basically the same, bone stock lookin sleeper, nothing but NITTO Drag Radials 555RII Road Course Tires)
    [​IMG]

14. Blue Meanie

Already looked into it, basically no way I could win with a car so modified.

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I was gonna say the same thing....but they would in turn put the blame on you just for the Nos setup....even if they were told that it would be running Nos from the get go...they would still say that the Nos caused the premature failure, and not the shoddy workmanship

So those were your rides?!....I remember reading that issue....mad props to you man :thumb ....you gotta keep it now!...its been imortalized in a mag!!

16. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

Man I don't remember LT1's being that expensive to build. A guy over my way was doing 380ish with cam, and full bolt-on's car. Nitrous he was in the 500+ range. That was on a stock bottom end. 10-20k i'd be expecting a lot more than 700whp.

If I was in the same position i'd find a stock LS1 engine from a junkyard or eBay, throw it in, and sell the 02. Take money from that and get your 94 running the way you want it.

What were the specifics of your tune (a/f ratio and all that good stuff)? Were you running a flip chip or whatever the LT1 world equivalent is? Wet or dry shot?

17. Blue Meanie

Exactly. The car hasn't been running for a year because I am doing it right. I am going to build a 454 LSX with a blower. I want to build a motor that will make 600+hp to the wheels with a mild setup. That way I get long life out of it. The 20K was for the crazy stuff we've been talking about, like putting in the Vettes paddle shifted 6 speed auto. We're seeing if its even possible right now. Were pulling out the dash and and stripping it out to make a very Ferrari 430 carbon fiber and Alacantra dash, possibly leather. It'll be fiberglass with a Carbon gauge pod and a carbon fiber face for the center of the dash with gauges. It'll be easy to make and will eliminate weight and the butt ugly dash. Just a small autometer Speedo and a big center tach in the gauge pod with an oil pressure and fuel gauge. No luxury items so no radio or AC to worry about. I am swapping the Sparco Torino seats for the new ones in a custom leather pattern. Re-cover the Torinos and put them in the SS. All of it costs $$$$$. Lots of it. The red car is my car for life, one day it'll get done. Now it looks to be on hold a long time.

The kit on the 94 was a NOS 150 dry shot. It went lean when my 125,000 mile fule pump sputtered.

18. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

One word...OUCH!

As for the rest, that sounds like a very reasonable setup. I've always been one who'd rather have a nice safe setup and tune rather than something extremely radical. Never heard of that 6 speed paddle shifter from the Vette, but i've been out of the car loop for a while. Enjoying my big red wagon and just happy I can dispose of some of the smaller fish in the pond anymore!

19. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I dunno man, big blocks should be for Classic Muscle. IMO. But don't hate me cause I said that, although it would be awesome to see a BB in that Camaro.

I look at all these Evos' and even some h22 honda engine owners and turbo's
    even the grand national v6 turbo'd out makes great power.

But with a cover car like ya got there, and talkin about makin carbon fiber dashes, I dont think youre too worried about MPG or a budget lol.

Turbo's, think about it.....haha....

check out streetfire.net , Thats a cool site.

How bout a mild v8 build w some boost?

20. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Can't say that I keep up on newer V8s, but if I'm not mistaken, he's talking about the new big inch small blocks like the new Vette have.

LT1s can cost some serious bank to build. I'm in an Impala SS club, and a lot of our guys are serious racers. One guy just did his LT1 and spend in the neighborhood of $20k. If you've got a daily, I think I'd just keep both. Sorry, but I'm not the guy to talk to about selling. I currently own 8 vehicles, which is actually the lowest number I've owned in YEARS! I feel you on the sentimental aspect, too. I've got a '69 Camaro I've had since I was 17, and it will never leave. All I can say is good luck.