My Business Idea!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjd1981, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jjd1981

jjd1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello TFW2005 members!

I have a business idea that is based on the Etsy.com model and I am seeking some opinions!

I have couple of questions, if your interested please let me know your thoughts:

Do you think sellers who sell toy and game items on ebay and amazon would be interested in moving to a site that is geared toward collectors and is setup more like etsy.com?

Do you think there are enough people who create their own, non-intellectual property infringing products that are looking for a more affordable place to sell their products? These would be people who cannot afford to mass produce.

Do you think that a site like this would be more appealing if all people had to pay was a listing fee per item, say $.75 to $1? I do not plan on having a monthly, yearly, or commission fee associated with a listing, store or other.

I appreciate your input!

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Oh brother - not this thread

3. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Can other users vote to ban/remove scalpers and the ridiculous high pricers?

If so then count me in, if not, I wouldnt waste the time.

4. Sunstorm202

Sunstorm202 TF2er

I could see this going somewhere. I think, Just a thought, You could add a donation area that could, depending on the level of donation, give perks to the user who donated. The number perks and length of the perks increase with the amount paid in Donations. Here's some examples:

Donator: No listing fee, User banner, Free shipping - Price: $45 - Length: 30 days

VIP: No listing fee, User banner, Free shipping, access to VIP Lounge - Price: $75 - Length: 60 days

It's just a couple ideas I thought I'd throw in.

5. jjd1981

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback. The user perks idea is actually pretty good and I hadn't thought of that one.

For the guy who said Oh brother - not this thread. Thanks for the negativity?? This is something I think will actually think work and having done a lot of research over the last 6 months on I think I know how to do it and do it right. I have a Master's degree in management and I am currently a Project Manager for an online company that has a similar platform for Associations that sell online Credit opportunities.

In regards to the scalpers and banning them, I have given this some thought and I think I know how to handle it.

I am looking at having a rating system in which you can rate by accepted prices. Those who charge higher than people are willing to pay will be moved to the bottom of the list that populates in your searches based on buyer feedback about prices. The way I look at it is that I am going to set the fees reasonably and not scalp the stores, therefore I expect the same from the stores.

Based on that one guys response I guess people must ask about this stuff from time to time. My bad for bringing it up, but I just wanted some feedback from people who might use the site to sell or buy. I have also been a member of the boards for a while now and love TFW2005. Sorry to have upset you.

Thanks to those that did respond with positive thoughts. I do appreciate!

6. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Just ignore Diatarn, he likes to pretend he's a mod. Delusions of adequacy.

As for the idea, is this for an auction site or are the prices sellers put fixed? Also, I definitely think a feedback system like the old ebay one could provide a self sustaining system.

7. jjd1981

News Credits:
    Thanks transtrekkie.

It would be fixed prices. I am still working out the rules and regulations for it, but the etsy model is pretty good so I am working off that with some tweaks and modifications.

I have the old ebay system in mind for the feedback system. I believe modifying it and adding a twist or 2 are what would make it work for a fixed pricing model over the auction model.

There are other concepts like say someone creates a new board game but can't mass produce it. People will be able to help fund its production by buying the item in advance knowing the product will not be available until after production. This will allow the seller to start a business knowing people want the product and gain the capital in advance. I guess Kickstarter does this in some fashion. I have the details worked out but I don't want to give away the secret haha.

Thanks again for the feedback!

8. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    So let me get this straight. You will accomodate the buyer by selling items at the price that he thinks is reasonable and willing to pay for? If so I would support this lol.

9. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    whats etsy.com?

11. jjd1981

News Credits:
    No sorry, that id not what I meany. U can rate a seller as being excessively over priced. As the seller gets many complants like this then their price then their products will not be put front and center. Again im not going into detail about it. Im giving a rough idea.