My brother just got fired

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lock Cade, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My older brother came home Friday afternoon bearing the news that he lost his job; his supervisor fired him under the accuse that he was working too slow. Bullshit... that's because nobody bothered to bring him the parts he needed to work on these units he was assembling! And it doesn't help matters that his supervisor never even liked him, because he doesn't take his shit. Everyone else in his department screws off, doing whatever they want and get away with it, while my brother and this one other guy get the brunt of the work. It's just not right. And of course, my family owns a farm, and apparently the supervisor made a rude comment about our damn farm, and my brother ripped him a new ass. So the supervisor just fired him right on the spot. My mom was upset, my dad was upset, and even I was upset... I just wanted to barge right into that shop, kick my brother's supervisor in the crotch, and cuss him out.

I'll have you know that my brother is a hardworker. Ever since he was old enough to drive a tractor, and trust me he had gotten his first tractor when he was five years old (which was a little John Deere H), he had been helping my dad out on the farm in the fields. He's not the type who would just work to get a paycheck and take off for a few days to go fishing... just like his damn supervisor.

So now, he's just helping out on the farm. He's going to file for unemployment for now, but for sure he's looking for a job. In fact, there is the possibility he could work for the county or our local recyling center... he'll just have to get a CDL.

Sorry guys, I just wanted to let it all out. Don't worry, I'm going to take my brother to see the Transformers movie sometime this week. I'm surprised that he actually said that yeah he would like to see it... he used to be into Transformers, at least back when it was a big thing in the 80s.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Is it just me, or is every single firing that happens in this country not at ALL the fault of the employee?

I'll be damned.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Nope never, and not just firings - nothing is ever anyone's fault.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My wife was recently let go, and it was totally her fault for regularly showing up an hour late. She doesn't see it that way, of course.

Just out of curiousity, TRANS + CRAZY, what steps did your brother take to get the parts brought to him?

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yep, people get fired. It happends, almost every day.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    wow your brother was on a tractor when he was 5! Isn't that like super dangerous?

7. honestgabe

honestgabe I

No way, thats super cool. He's like Johnny Appleseed on steroids, planting shit all over.

Anyway, yeah that sucks. Maybe he can take this time to reflect and see how he could have done things differently

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Just for context, there are people who will never ride a horse, for fear of their life.

9. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Sorry to hear your brother lost his job. But did he "lose his job" or was he "fired" because he really needed to be fired.

I see parts of your post and its always the supervisors fault. Whats wrong with taking a few days off to due whatever you want. Its your vacation time, you earned it, you deserve it. As long as you don't take it when everything is super busy around work I dont really see a problem there.

But I do see a few problems.

"that's because nobody bothered to bring him the parts he needed to work on these units he was assembling" - Was that because no one liked him because he might have been an a_hole to work with.

"supervisor never even liked him, because he doesn't take his shit." - if you're hard to work with no matter how talented you are, if you negatively affect the team, the team will kick you off it.

"my brother and this one other guy get the brunt of the work" - maybe thats what they think or see. i know i can do my work alot faster than most people at my job who do the same thing. so i might look like i'm not working as hard or as much as them but in reality i am working as hard as them and as much as them

"else in his department screws off, doing whatever they want and get away with it" - maybe because they are good are what they do, they do their job, they joke around alittle bit. what harm is having fun at work. good work environments always should allow some fun to be had by the employees.

"made a rude comment about our damn farm, and my brother ripped him a new ass" - so you're saying the boss said something your brother overreacted, possibly cussed at work and acted inappropriate to a supervisor and he got fired.

Sorry man but from just readin that 1 paragraph from your side of the story, i can see that your brother might have been an ass to work with and the rest of the team just got annoyed by it. It seemed the supervisor and him didn't get along so maybe in the end this is the best for him. If your brother didnt like the job/work environment, why did he stay?

One good thing though most people say they get fired at one job and then turn around and find a better job. So good luck with the job search.

10. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    pschh I rode my horse like once, for fear of my life I refuse to ride him lol so I know what you mean. I would never recommend horseback riding to anyone. I have to admit there are some horses that are trained and ride-able most aren't. My horse is mainly a companion.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Nope, I got fired and it was own fault for being so stupid and making some really bad choices. It was ultimatley for the best though.

12. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Well you know I worked at a deli for a month and I got fired for working to slow. I was the only girl there and the boys kept complaining to the manager that I was going to slow. I guess it was kind of my fault for not being as strong as them, and because I was weaker I couldn't move the heavy cutter as quickly as they could. But I am glad I got fired the boys were so mean they would always push me off my machine and finish my customer themselves because they couldn't stand to make the customer wait.... it really wasn't my fault I applied to the supermarket for stocking not deli.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    My god, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow... lot of responses.

So let me try and get this straight... my brother was fired right on the spot. He did not, I repeat, did not deserve to be fired... his whole team, including his supervisor, should have been the ones fired because all they ever do is screw around and leave early while my brother and this one other guy gets to do all the work. My brother, who is not a liar and is not an asshole, said that he had told his supervisor that he put such a high standard on him and this other guy. Then, according to my brother, his supervisor slipped a rather rude comment about our farm being stupid and that's what set my brother off, which then led to his being fired.

Now let me tell you guys something. My family's part-Irish, and my family has been farmers for generations. We KNOW how to work, we don't screw around like the people at the shop where my brother had worked in. We're good people, but say things like our farm is stupid, we will rip you a new ass. Like, if it was me who was working and had a supervisor say such a thing to me, I would not be afraid to cuss the supervisor out. So do I make myself clear on this? Good.

Now, to answer a couple of questions you guys had asked me. I don't know how exactly my brother had received the parts for all the stuff he had to build, because he very rarely talks about what exactly it is that he's working on... if anything, all he had ever talked about that shop was all about the stupid bullshit that goes on in there. As for him being on a tractor when he was 5, all I can say is that he had gotten a John Deere H, which for a young kid is a good tractor to start out with, but I'm not quite actually sure if he had been actually working in the fields with the tractor when he was that young... well, I would assume that my dad had taught him how to run tractors and such before giving him full reign. Concerning that he either lost his job or was fired, he was FIRED. Was he an ass at work? Only to an old classmate who happened to be working in the same department he was working in, otherwise he is not.

Guess that's all I got to say for now... well, he found out that they had cancelled his insurance the same day he was fired (he had to cancel a dentist appointment once he had found out), and now everyone at that shop is against him, even the human resources lady who was really nice (she didn't even tell him where exactly the unemployment office is located). Well, he has a buddy that he had worked under when he had first started out there that still comes out and talk to us, and his buddy was really upset over the news.

Dare I say it to you guys? Right now I'm so f***ing mad, that I just want to torch that shop my brother had worked in... teach those bastards a lesson not to mess with my brother (or any of my family, period).

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not really my business or my concern, but you're posting on a forum, so I'm taking that as a request for discussion and feedback.

I understand that you know your brother well, and are basing certain assumptions about the situation on that knowledge.

But look at it from our point of view. Without any verifiable information to the contrary, it's reasonable for us to assume that when one person was fired, he deserved to be fired, rather than everyone else. It's just less likely that many people are bad employees rather than just one.

And while you assure us that the less likely scenario is in fact the case, we have to wonder, again, in the absence of any other information, that as his brother, you're more than a little biased. Plus, you weren't actually at the job with him, which means that you're basing your decisions solely on his reports (inherently biased) and your opinions (inherently biased).

Finally, your brother did admit that he was "set off." That's what's gonna jump out as being notable to a bunch of uninvolved folks like people on this board.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or lying AT ALL. What you're saying could be completely and absolutely true--it's not unbelievable at all (only less believable to us than the alternative). You just have to understand why people would make certain specific assumptions about the situation you described, and that you can't really be offended or suprised when those are the assumptions they express.

16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey Trans+carzy, I understand where you are coming from; I am an older brother to four younger ones who are entering the workforce, and I would want to take up for them, protect them even, when dealing with the world. It is familial instinct, and it seems you guys have a great bond.

However, to play devil's advocate, you didn't go to work with your brother. You didn't see what happened on a daily basis. As someone who is educated and experienced in management, it does not matter what the supervisor says to your brother, he should always go straight to HR and not over react - he pretty much let his supervisor win that battle by reacting at all. I know it's hard, and I am part scotch so I understand where you are coming from. But look at it like this: if everyone at his job is mad at him or no longer speaking to him, then he must have done something really big to have this type of reaction from his former coworkers. I don't know him, I don't know the circumstances, but based on what you are stating, it sounds like he may have acted in a wrong manner, which would constitute his firing regardless of how talented or how good a worker he was.

I think it's admirable that you care so much about your family that you want to take up for them. Just be prepared that when you vent on these forums, you will get feedback that you don't always like. Mostly from people who have experienced life a little longer than you have. But if your brother is as talented as you say he his, then he will have NO problem finding work, especially with our looming labor shortage.
    J

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This may be why he got fired.
    Lose it to a boss, and they can always win that arguement/wordfight with "ur fired"

Got to supress that anger, and stay on a professional level.
    The guys (dicks) sounded like they were trying to get him to snap, and he possibly did, when he should've went the opposite way.

This is one of the reasons why we need a cold brew when we get off work.

But yeah, F those guys, your bro will get a better job and they can kiss his ass.

18. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Man I love this place. You know after a hard nights work I can come here and laugh........."Johnny Appleseed..Planting shit all over the place" thats good stuff. Nver been fired but I am afraid to ride goats.
    Oh and its bugging the hell out of me.........................exactly what kind of shop does this brother work at..all he mentions is shop am I the only one that this bothers?

19. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

QFE

Back in the day, i was in a similar sit.

When i was 16, i cussed a supervisor out and quit on the spot (fast food joint). I called in sick (first time) b/c my car was in the shop and i had no transportation and manager Ok'd. Another manager called and said they were understaffed and overwhelmed and i had to be there asap. So i called a friend and got a ride. I hadn't eaten the whole day b/c i rushed to work. So when i got in i wanted to fix something else to eat. Manager told me to get on register right away and we got into argument. I quit and left on the spot. I was mad b/c all the other workers took sick days and got off for stupid reasons and it wasn't fair. I played the blame game too.

Now that i look back, i can't say it wasn't my fault. I guess when you get older and get into other job settings you learn that sometimes you gotta take indignities, b/c its apart of life. Can't always jump the gun everytime you get poked. Especially at work. If you want to keep a job you gotta learn to stomach things and swallow your pride.

Your brother lost it on his supervisor, what did he think was gonna happen? Minute that happens, hes almost obligated to fire you. Especially if it was in front of other workers.

20. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

No one wants to accept responsibility for their own actions, it's always someone else's fault. It's like a drunk driver saying sueing the city because his car was stopped by a fire hydrant. "It's not my fault!"