My Brother As Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    My younger brother does an uncanny impression of Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime (and Frank Welker's Megatron too, for that matter), and I've been trying since the 90's to get him to record some and post it online.

Well, he finally gave in after my dad gave him a karaoke machine that he hooked up to his computer so he could record.

Bear in mind that this is his first attempt at recording himself doing Prime -- his live Prime is dead-on, but I'm working with him for when he's recording himself doing voice matches and impressions.

Still, for a first-time recording, I found myself amazed that he pulled this bit off so well: here's my brother Jon doing Prime's monologue from the end of the new movie. The clip will start playing as soon as his myspace page loads, but be sure to listen through the end of the clip of Jon doing a piece of classic Prime vs Megatron dialog from the original animated movie:

http://www.myspace.com/usukifudontreadthis

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :eek: 

That is pretty slick, like almost perfect!

Like a young Optimus Prime!:thumb 

3. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Agh, I'm sorry, but that page is a little to hard for me to navigate. Mind dropping a direct link or something?

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You don't have to do anything, he starts speaking the second the window comes up.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    No need to navigate -- the audio clip loads as soon as his myspace page loads. And it's set to auto-loop.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Wow, nice for an amatuer. I can dig it. Still he needs to work some more, but I think he can pull OP and Megs voice OK.

7. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    That was awesome! If he slowed down the delivery in some parts, that would be a dead on Cullen voice!

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

A good impression! The last two lines sounded the most like Cullen to me, from "I am Optimus Prime..." on.

9. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

A little lower, and he'd be perfect. The synthesis over the voice sounds a little cheesy, though.

10. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

Ok thats just freaky right there.

11. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    If that's the case, it's not loading up for me. But I've always had problems with getting MySpace media to load. Dang it.

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If he could lower his voice a bit more and slow down in some spots, it would be dead on. As is, it's still really good! I'd like to hear his Megatron

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're brother is awesome.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    daaaaaaamn. im more impressed with his megs than ops.

15. TYS

TYS Autobot

AWSOME!!!!!

Forgive my ignorance but who is performing the version of the TF theme in the background please????

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Seriously dude, you need to get your brother in VA work. Even if it's just local radio spots or something. I think that is how David Kaye started. Doing local spots, station DJ, etc.

17. Razorclaw

Yeah I wanna also who sung that Tf theme in the background.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Isn't that the mutemath song from the CD? Not sure as I don't own the CD.

19. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the encouragment!

If you guys don't know, that's me. But unfortunately all my MySpace friends are complaining about it and are starting to avoid my page, so I'm about to pull it down. I may do a better recording sometime later. The software I used was Creative Labs Audio Studio and I'm sorry the synthesis sounded "cheesy!" But looking back on the old show, the synthesis is pretty cheesy too.

That was my first attempt at Megatron's voice. I studied the two actors Cullen and Prime while repeatedly watching their interviews at the Transformers game website. Cullen talked about how he tries to resonate the top of his head and his chest and lowers his voice and tucks his chin in for Prime. And Welker explained that he added in raspiness and agitation as though Megatron was always angry and agitated and maybe "there was some hurt in there" too. Those tips greatly improved my impressions which I never really thought were that good to begin with, but voiceroy nagged me to death until i did it. If there was a way to post up recordings HERE, I would... any suggestions?

The song is available for download from Sector 7's site, if it's still up. It's listed in the transmissions or message board section. I sort of thought that it should have been the way the movie should have ended. The only HINT of the original theme song I actually heard in the movie was the first part of the Mexican song playing on the radio at the used car lot.

Thanks to an unknown poster for actually writing down the words for Prime's final narrative. I don't know who you are but you made it a heck of a lot easier to have something to read.

I've also recorded his opening narraration, but either the synthesis sounds too heavy or the impression's either too low or too high. Still need to iron it out. Believe it or not, the recording I made was the best of three I attempted. I'm about to put a site together on Bellsouth.net (it was free with my contract). Hopefully, you ALL will be able to hear or download it. Not to brag, but it does sound better than the NON-movie Optimus Prime helmet.

I actually pulled off a Soundwave impression too, after learning that Welker did it with his "Dr. Claw" voice from Inspector Gadget, but I haven't finished recording it yet.

Thanks anyways. I know how critical it can get around here, and you all were fairly kind. Guess I don't suck as bad as I thought I did.

20. Razorclaw

You don't suck at all. Keep up the good work.