My bests & worsts of non-movie deluxes 2010-2011

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hired Goons, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best Figure: Tracks. Runner up: Drift.
    Dudes, it’s DRIFT. No, Turbo TRACKS. No, wait, DRIFT. Oh man, who do I choose? The hot cheerleader who I just impressed by skiing down K-12? Or the French exchange student who lives next door with Ricky? Well, it’s close, but the whole reason I started collecting the Classics stuff in the first place was so that I wouldn’t spend outrageous collector prices filling in the holes of my childhood G1 collection by telling myself that a far-more-articulated updated version was just as good. That was about $1000 ago and I’ve gotten nearly every G1 figure from the 84-85 (up to and not including the Scramble City gang) since insisting to myself that that would be the plan.

Anyway, in that case, Tracks is awesome. He looks like his G1 cartoon self to the point where I must do the Thurston Howell III voice while typing this. The biggest complaint I’ve read are his flame decals but many have Reprolabels to solve that for them, and I’m not really complaining about it myself. I’m also having trouble transforming him BACK into a car (am I at the age now where I need to read the instructions? Oh noooo!). His feet are kinda loose. But I don’t care because he looks awesome. I feel like taking him to Dancitron tonight so he can strut his stuff.

Oh, but DRIFT. What a somewhat interesting character (a robot with knives!). What a sturdy posable new mold! What a cool head sculpt. What a cool toy! A new character gets his own toy; he’s not a remold/repaint/whatever. As a matter of fact, they used this mold shortly after for an already existing character! That’d be like making Acid Storm first and releasing Starscream much later! Very crafty, Hasbro.

Classics figure most likely to make me sell off my G1 stuff: Blurr
    The runner up is Tracks, but who cares? I’m actually planning on selling my Blurr (and then Kup, and then Wreck-Gar) because I always found the cold, lifeless stares from the movie figures to be kind of creepy. Even G1 Soundwave has a warmer smile than these guys. Tracks is so awesome that he makes his G1 counterpart a ridiculous useless (and surprisingly easily breakable) brick. Oh, but that’s not totally fair, and I could never get rid of G1 Tracks. G1 Blurr, Kup, and Wreck Gar, however: get back to your Heavy Metal/Moebius alternate universe and out of my man-cave, please.
    I did pick up Kup and I like the figure. Though I haven’t gotten the head with the cigar yet, I DID put a Simpsons figure’s suitcase in his hand and I hum the theme to The Odd Couple as I look at him. So NOW I need the head/cigar sculpt…

By the way, is anyone interested in a Blurr, Kup, or Wreck-Gar?

I picked up Scourge a little later after I wrote this, but I never had G1 Scourge, so it wouldn’t count, but: awesome figure. His alt mode is WAAAAY cooler than the original toy’s ever could be.

Coolest Obscure Character That None of You Are Going To Buy: Darkmount
    This is a tie with Skullgrin, I think; Skullgrin has a better head sculpt, but I wouldn’t really know because I haven’t bought it. I think I’ve got time, there’s still plenty of that guy on the shelf, right next to all the tuner Mudflaps or Skids or whichever one of those sucks more. (Note: I did eventually buy it.) Anyway, Darkmount is a surprisingly cool figure, despite all the clip-ons. It’ll make him really handy when he becomes the foreman at your place of work. “Didja get that thing I sent ya?” is what you’ll hear from this dastardly Decepticon as he walks up to your cubicle, keys jangling from every plastic bar on his body. The pickaxe is a nice touch. We’ll be seeing this guy & Skullgrin warm a lot of pegs. I’m putting him next to Acid Storm.

Best use of a mold from a previous series: Thrust
    The seekers are almost complete. Why Ramjet got a Classics figure before Thundercracker is…well, who cares, they’re all pretty cool. Thrust and Dirge are a welcome addition, it’s Thrust’s shiny cockpit and even his bizarre detachable fans (what, you couldn’t work that into the wings?) that makes him stand out over the seeker that…I had to really try to remember was an actual robot. Oh yeah, the blue guy with the wings like Ramjet. Would it have been too much of a rip-off to make Dirge’s wings fold inward like Classics Ramjet? I guess the runner up would be Thundercracker, who again would be a far more logical choice from the get-go, who does look very cool, and I’m very pleased to add him to the collection. He should’ve beat out Thrust for the anticipation alone, but those wings win out.

Best Design From A Certain Video Game: Soundwave
    Runner up is Bumblebee, who looks a little different from the friendlier versions we’re all accustomed to: he has kind of a vacant, amoral look in his face that says “I’m checking you out before I stab you.” His alt mode is pretty cute, like a reject from a Tron game. He was repainted with a new head for Cliffjumper. But it’s Soundwave as a vehicle and with a chest cavity that wins the day. Yay Soundwave! Now we have a classics version for you, though I can’t seem to fit any of the cassettes into your chest. What’s that about?

Worst Design From A Certain Video Game: Optimus Prime
    This should have been a Voyager sized toy. There, I said it.

Worst Design overall: Megatron
    I’m being very harsh, but c’mon: I can’t keep the gun on his arm, and when I try to fix it I end up launching the missile thanks to the light trigger. I just look at it and it goes off. Also, he’s got snowshoes. What’s that about?

I wrote all this, but then Wheeljack became available to me, so I got him, and now I love him, negating everything I said before.
    This is one of the reasons why there’s a Classics in the first place, I would hope. His car mode (if I can ever fully transform him again) is MUCH cooler than Tracks’ thanks to the spoiler and front bumper. But then I’m getting down on Tracks, which I don’t want to do: without his mold, there’d be no Wheeljack! And because this mold gave us both Tracks AND Wheeljack, their combined cool is greater than that of Drift & Blurr’s. So the decision is final: Tracks, best mold. …until I get a Warpath, Perceptor, or Wreck-Gar.

-Paul#3

Attached Files:

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    moved to correct forum.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    He seemed to be a pretty popular fanwank figure until Skullgrin came out. Did you mean to post this a year ago as some sort of prediction thread that ended up being completely incorrect once hindsight was factored in?

Argued to death already, but his size isn't a design flaw, it's a choice you would have preferred. As a voyager, his design would have been pretty much the same as it is now, he just would have been larger. It's a pretty neat figure, but him being so small keeps me from fully enjoying it, which clashes with the "he's just so cool though" aspect of it.

4. Hired Goons

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant to post it a decade ago but decided to wait until some of the figures came out. Then I waited until Wheeljack came out. Wheeljack, my new best friend. And I am probably in an unlucky region that sees nothing but Skullgrins and Darkmounts. It's a cool figure. Just not as cool as Drift and definitely not as cool as Tracks. Cool being the ONLY way to describe things, by the way.

Maybe if I combined Skullgrin & Darkmount into Mecha-Shiva, you'd agree.

Well, I don't know if it was to the 'death,' I mean I'm still alive. It's neat but kinda flimsy compared to the other figures. Granted, I also dig the Prime from the deluxe two-pack with tank Megatron from a few years ago, just not in vehicle form. So these deluxe primes will just hang out, holding on to Simpsons figure accessories while I figure out what to do with them.

-paul#3

Hey, what's your comic called?

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Probably not surprising, but I don't agree with anything posted.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    best of 2010 animated rodimus
    best of 2011 rts jazz
    worst of 2010 double clutch
    worst of 2011 windcharger J.K. it is blurr just because he is to blocky to be blurr.

7. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Since nobody asked...

BEST: I'm going with WfC Cliffy J. He's stubby and doofy, but swagging his Tronisms. Plus they actually gave him a different head than Bumblebee this time, because he's earned it.

Worst: That one dumb Decepticon jet. Screw that guy.

8. Hired Goons

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the local board members had a blue one, like the generic Autobot soldier in the first level or so of WFC. I thought that was actually cooler than Bumblebee. He claimed it was a prototype or something. (I guess I could just get a Bumblebee and paint him blue.)

In my best Tobias Fuenke:I just blue myself.

Yeah. Are we talking Dirge because the put out yet another seeker ahead of Thundercracker (which of course I bought a decent KO of the Henkei the DAY before they announced the new one, hooray.) or THUNDERWING, because he's got this creepy look on him and all you really do is unfold the thing and stand it up?

Well that's fine...WHA?

I hear ya, I hear ya. Jazz is another reason to have a Classics line. This one is also kinda flimsy and I haven't perfected balancing him without giving him minor chicken legs. But, dudes, and I know you disagree with me and are prepared for internet snark: it has SPEAKERS. SPEAKERS! One of you Radicons have to make them working speakers and you will be cooler than Jesus and L. Ron combined.

Blurr? Too blocky? The G1 blurr's head looked like an old TV set, though he may have been the first G1 normal size vehicle to have working knees. (Waiting for someone to correct me in 5, 4, 3...)

I prefer Animated Arcee to Hot Rod, er Rodimus. Rodimus looks too much like Classics Hot Rod (but still a cool figure). Arcee...well, maybe it's just good to have an official girl bot. For the boy bots. Who get lonely.

(2...1...)

-paul#3

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    ^classics blurr car mode looks fast but his robot mode does not. Every time i see him i see a blue drift with guns. I think blurr is one of those big characters who deserves his own toy mold.

10. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Yes, him. Not to dump on anyone who loves that figure... but he's pretty much the worst Transformer that's ever been made. Ever.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure my friend, Wheelie says think again.

[​IMG]

12. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    I'd Frenzy/Rumble 11 Wheelies together and make the best combiner of all time and you'd still be stuck with a dumb jet from the comic with fangs for teeth. Canon Schmanon.

Maybe Thunderwhatever can team up with Armada Demolishor with his dumb monocle and they can go around and commit and/or solve crimes. I haven't decided which yet.

13. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Uhm no.

14. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Wanna bet?

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ STAAAARSCREEEEEEEEEEEEEAM!

-Oh, wait, this isn't a "TFTM quotes" thread?

Thunderwing is boss, he's supposed to look creepy. His transformation is about the same as those Seekers that I hear people fawn over. ;)  Besides which, I don't buy TFs for complexity of the transformation. It's the results that matter, and he somehow goes from a jet that's all lines to a robot that's all curves.

16. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Best of 2010: Drift. I transformed and posed that mofo so many damn times when I got him and was amazed at the balance he achieved on one leg...plus the freakin' swords!

Worst of 2010: Thunderwing. Sure he looks all kinds of badass in both modes, but the transformation is so simple a blind retarded monkey could transform it with ease. He makes a throttlebot look like a level 5.

Best of 2011, so far.. It's a tie between Kup and Wreck-gar for me. I honestly love 'em both just as much and they're a fucking joy to transform and pose.

I honestly don't have a worst of 2011 yet.

17. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Best of 2010-2011 = Scourge.
    A perfect evolution of the G1 design and joins his pal Cyclonus in the top 3 Classics molds made so far. I currently have 1 United version & 2 of the Generations version with a 3rd en route.

Runner up = Jazz
    Was a long time coming but worth it especially the United one which makes it's Hasbro counterpart look like it's been left in the house of a chain smoker.

Worst of 2010-11 = Blurr
    This mold is fine for Drift but it's disappointing to see Blurr reduced to a generic car 'bot when there was a great update of his G1 alt mode in his Spotlight issue that could have been used.

The robot mode is also too kibbly for a character that's meant to be a sleek, athletic speed machine........something along the lines of his Animated toy would have looked better.

Runners up = WFC Prime & Megatron
    Great designs but too fucking small.

18. Hired Goons

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not only would I pay someone to tape 11 Wheelies together (well not pay), I would also watch The ThunderWing/Demolish-or Crime Movie Of The Week, as long as it alternates with a Columbo-style mystery series starring the upcoming movie Megatron figure in his rumpled overcoat/cloak thingy. "Just one more thing..."

I GUESS it was a cop-out to reuse the mold, and maybe a slap in Blurr's face to use that mold for Drift FIRST and THEN Blurr, but I still dig it, and the saucy gun action.

Scourge is actually pretty awesome (the wings open up and store weapons? get out of here, cousin Larry!) but like the Jazz figure, I have to balance him carefully, and the legs look weird or it just looks like he's got poor posture. And he doesn't need THAT. Otherwise, one of the best figures of the year.

-paul