My best friend became a woman! o.O

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rapid_fire, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

So long story short I grew up being friends with what I considered a brother for years and years and years. His name was Kev, as teenagers we hung out all the time, went on random adventures, got into trouble, typical best buddies, who were always there for each other. Then somewhere out of the mist when we were in out mid 20's he came out of the closet. This shocked me of course, I knew the guy for 10 years at the time, had no idea (I am straight btw). I was able to shrug my shoulders and support his new life style, it happens right? He eventually got married a few years later to a guy a few years older then him, I was happy for him, after he was sleeping around with who knows how many guys he finally found one he thought he could settle down with and start a family. I was his best man at his wedding and stood right next to him as he wed the man of his life.

But then something last year surprised me, I found out he was taking estrogen pills. I never actually confronted him about them, I just saw them sitting on the table one day. Half a year later he's now legally changed his name to Sarah and is wearing fake boobs and girls clothes, and on facebook now refers to himself as female.

Is my long friend Kev gone forever? Has this woman consumed him? His husband has now just broken up with him because he wanted to marry a man, not a woman. I feel Kev has died and my best friend gone forever. I actually haven't talked to him since after he started taking estrogen pills. I guess it bothers me he's done this to himself, and I really feel bad for his husband who really thought he was gonna be happy with Kev.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool you should give her your support because all she's doing is trying to become the person she can be happy being. She is no less the person who was/is your friend than any person you've been friends with for years who has changed and grown in various ways over a period of time.

Unless of course she's taking these estrogen pills without medical supervison or oversight in which case you should reccommend she gets that.

3. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    What Aernaroth said.

This is random and odd. Yet it shouldn't change anything unless if this becomes personal or you two get into giant arguments over your friendship or serious matters.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Only one way to find out. Give her a call.

In other news, I suddenly feel in the mood for some Aerosmith.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Stay friends with him, sounds like he needs some support no matter if you agree or not. Yes, him. You're not a woman unless you have two X chromosomes.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm kinda on the fence on this.

I never understood changing one's sex. To me you can get your balls chopped off but you are never really a woman. To me unless you have the reproductive organs (Uterus, etc) then you are never truly changing your gender. You are just playing dress up and pretend as far as I'm concerned. But if someone does decide to do that it is their right and choice.

I am fine with gay marriage and all. Who am I to talk. I am straight, but I am asexual and aromantic. Sex and romance hold no interest in me. That isn't to say I am incapable of love. I can love family and friends. If I had a son or daughter I could love them like any normal parent. I just have no desire to date or to get married. So yeah I am abnormal as well. If you find someone you can love and loves you then all the more power to you.

I do hope your friend does find happiness however. I say continue to be his friend. Perhaps get to understand he reasons for the change.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if theres some discomfort on ur part u reserve the right to air it out. Not so much as an ultimatum but u deserve a straight up explanation since u have been so receptive/supportive. For all u know hes been waiting somebody to ask him that question w/o going the psychiatrist route.

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    She was your friend as a guy there's no reason to think she wont be just as much your freind as a woman.

I went through an almost identical situation with a high school friend...who is still very much my freind after more than 25 years! The best advice I can give you is be upfront...feel free to steal this...."We've been friends a long time and I'll admit, I'm a little weirded out and this will take some getting used to, but when the chips are down you are my friend and I've got your back no matter what." It's probably exactly what your friend needs to hear, especially if the divorce is as painful as they usually are.

You may have lost a brother, but you've gained a sister who probably acts exactly the same as what you're used to. No point throwing away a perfectly good friendship.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd agree with pretty much all of the above. I know several people that have gone through or are in the process of going through what your friend is in terms of changing (but not the divorce thing). Unless you're utterly against sex changes then I'd say support your friend. Sure it's a big change for you but just remember it's an even bigger change for your friend. The best thing is to have a proper talk with your friend and sort everything out and hopefully reach an understanding. Posting here is fine for advice but we're not really the people you should be talking to about your concerns and how you feel.

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "You gonna hit that?" post in 3...2...

11. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

I agree with much of the previous posts, although I would use the word "empathize" rather than "sympathize." In other words, you are trying to understand the behavior/lifestyle choices, not necessarily pretend to support them. You are still (it seems) friends, so you can keep it at that. Once you fully understand her reasoning (if you ever discuss it), then the path you should take (or stay on) will be clearer. I would guess that right now she needs "silent companionship" more than someone giving her advice. (Which she probably got in spades from her soon-to-be ex.)

12. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    okay?? o_O 

13. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    She may be different on the outside, but it's still Kev on the inside. She's still the same person you had adventures with and got into trouble with.

And if you want an explanation for her taking of the estrogen, then ask. If she truly is your best friend, she'll give you an honest answer.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would honestly think that if someone were in a homosexual relationship then both would want eachother to be the same sex, so I find it odd that he would want to be a she, but I'm not in the person's brain.

I think you should just talk to him, try to be understanding and be honest with your feelings. If you are as close of friends as you say, I don't see the issue with it.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Does this make their marriage legal everywhere now? Just curious.

16. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I think that the fact that they're now divorced renders that question moot.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I know it's hard, but although he looks different and sounds different, he's still the guy you grew up with. Your best friend. Talk to him.

18. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    o_O  Wow uuhhh weird...

19. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I friend stays a friend no matter what, give the person a call or just email her if you find it hard to call her.

20. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    Honestly (almost) everything everyone said is right, just because someone has changed on the outside, doesn't mean they're the same on the outside. Be there for him/her. (However you perfer it)

Also, educate an idiot here, what are estrogen pills?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.