My Belated Shopko Horror(not really) Story

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

So, June 1st arrives. I have to go down to Kentucky with my fiancee and her family for her cousin's wedding. We stop in Beloit, WI, at a Shopko. I had been looking around for the new movie toys here and there, because I never actually bothered to check when they came out. I had stopped collecting near the end of the Energon series, and had been very good about not spending money on toys. Well of course the excitement of the movie killed that and after I saw the protoform figures I knew the real movie toys would be out soon, and I knew that I would spend more money on them then I should(I have no willpower).

Anyways, so we're at Shopko, and I figure I'll see if they had 'em out yet, figuring they wouldn't because it was Shopko and I didn't know the date they were supposed to be out. I see the toy aisles, and lo and behold, there is a TF display at the very end of one. I see Bumblebee, Barricade, Jazz, Swindle, Bonecrusher, Brawl, Ratchet, and Blackout. I check inside the aisle, but they just had more of the same. My excitement is too much, and I grab one of each, piling them on the floor as I call my fiancee who is somewhere else in the store. I want her blessing to go crazy.

I talk to her, and she talks me down a bit, and I decide that I shouldn't buy them all yet. I may find another store during our trip that has Starscream or Ironhide, or even a leader class. Then I think, "I should check the prices, as Shopko is usually overpriced anyway. Doesn't pay to pay extra when you don't have to." I check the prices of the deluxe classes....

$14.99!!! Are you kidding me? Does that mean voyagers are $25?? I check the voyagers......

$30???? What is this, Kay-Bee Toys in a strip mall???? A 50% markup??? If they had Leader Optimus would he be $60??? My dreams are crushed, I will have to wait. It doesn't even pay to buy Bumblebee and Barricade, who I planned to purchase to stave off my thirst for massive quantities of transforming robot toys. Two for the price of three! What a deal. Even the small amount of willpower I have is enough to avoid being robbed.

I call a good buddie of mine who understands ordeals such as this. He sympathizes. I panic, knowing we have a long drive ahead of us, and I will be in the back seat for the first part, with nothing to transform! Price doesn't matter that much....I can stand being ripped of $5 for a Bumblebee.

I take Bumblebee to the registers, meeting my fiancee and telling her how I have been wronged by a discount store chain. My geekdom is falling down around me. The cashier rings up Bumblebee....what??? He IS $9.99 like he should be? WTF??? I purchase him, and tell my fiancee. She rolls her eyes, knowing what this means. I run back to the toys, and I pick up Barricade. Yes, just Barricade. This happiness gives my willpower new strength. I leave Shopko happy after all.

Epilogue:

On they way back home from Kentucky I found a Super Wal-Mart behind a Bob Evans everybody else decided to eat at(Yes, found! I swear it was hiding!). I was hungry too, but I had been thwarted by two K-Marts already(both just had FAB, real gear, and everything else except the regular figures which they hadn't even stocked, f*** K-Mart), and Wal-Mart looked like heaven to me. And it was the nicest Wal-Mart I had ever been in, and it had the longest, widest toy aisles I had ever seen, and it had loads of new movie toys....

I bought Ironhide, Starscream, Bonecrusher, and Jazz, which was more than I should have purchased, but I knew I could survive. Then on the way home from my fiancee's parents we stopped at a Target. I found Robo-Vision Prime, which I didn't even know existed. My wallet became even lighter.

My wallet is nearly empty now. This upcoming check is a lean one, and I will only have enough to warrant buying Brawl. Who wants to bet that I end up with a Blackout and/or a Ratchet as well?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Blackout is well worth it. If you have a TRU nearby, get the Blackot and Scorponok 2-pack ($25). They currently have a Spend $25, get a $5 gift card promotion going on, so you could even get a Real Gear (the camera rocks) for like $3

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Deluxes are 14.99 cad here and 29 cad for voyagers

4. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Yeah, took a second or two for me to realize what was wrong as the prices up here are $14.99 and $29.99 ($59.99 for Prime).

I'm used to this, but then it smarts to see our dollar is at something like 92c US, so we really are paying more for no reason.

You sound like me in the toy aisles. Except my wife does talk me down to one... or none that trip. Sniff.

5. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shopko is really bad price wise. I usually dont even bother going there any more, just mainly for legends figures. Im guessing you got the 2 deluxes from them for $10 is because they had a "sale" recently, where they had their stuff about the price of everywhere else. Oh, and where about in Wisconsin are you located?

6. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Oh dude, I know. I forget that we even have a Shopko here in Oshkosh, because I pretend it isn't there. But when your fiancee's parents are picking the stops, you can't really shout out "Let's look for a Target instead because they might have better prices on toys!"

I was prepared for deluxes at 10.99 or 11.99, 12.99 tops. Usually even Shopko isn't that bad. I also figured they were having a special "sale" on the figures, which is why they rang up at the "correct" price.