My band!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aussiehippy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Hi all,

My band recently finished recording some songs and have a few up on our myspace:

www.myspace.com/thesymptomuk

If anyone's bored, or has an interest in rock/metal then I'd appreciate it if you could give me your thoughts on what we've done.

Feel free to be as critical as you like, I can take it, lol

Just want some opinions from people I don't really know, as opposed to our regular supporters just kissing our arses, heh.

Cheers!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hear ya man, p;aying at shows all you hear is "You guys Rock", or "that's sounded awesome" , or even "that sucked" , but all that never really helps constructively.
    Plus saying "Thanks" to that so many times gets wierd.

Sent to the Gallows , 3:40 , or 2:30 on Irreducible Complexity, hell yeah man!!
    I recommend my brah Deathstorm to give it an ear

I can't crit Mindbender style because my laptop speakers. My litte crits would be to crank up the guitar tracks, and add two more.
    One track for another matched rythm track, but dropped an octive lower.
    To give the guitars a sludgier sound to match the vocals more.

And another track for effects, sprinkling in hidden synths to help sharpen the edges of the mood changes. Youy're songs change gear alot, so mood enhancements would work well.
    Kind of like Trent reznor puts in keyboard distortions, or how Obituary uses digital machine gun sounds. Or Pink Floyd.... they've mastered the 24 track board. Im sure live it's different , but it could be smoother when you're all in laid back mode, and the vocalist hits the high Chris Barnes/Cannibal Corpse scream. Maybe add some guitar punches with that. (when everyone strikes an open palm mute or something)

Hell maybe add another track of melodic solos, but leave them tuned down low.
    Hide them into the songs vertabrea if that means anything.

Seriously though, your shit sounds killer man, I bet you're all brutal as hell live.
    You're shows are problably about perfect.
    The recordings are great, but can be even greater if more color was added.
    So many local bands these days, it's who adding that extra bit of color & innovation to their music that are getting noticed.
    Im not saying I heard your sound before, but it would make it more memorable later when Im not listening.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I gave Irreducible Complexity a full listen. It's got that independent feel for sure. It's a good song all in all, but the pace switch that happens just around the 3 minute mark would have personally been more welcome in my ears a little earlier to kinda break it up some.

I really didn't get an appreciation for how wide-ranged the vocals were until I got to Dissolved. I personally would like the drumming to mix in some hammering to help deliver the bass and vocal punches. I enjoyed the listens personally and I did hear a little of old Seputura in there.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Much thanks to Chaos for recommending this. You definately have some variety going on, keeps it fresh and from getting stale.

The hardcore/crossover influence is definately apparent in Irreducible Complexity. Nice, slow, dirge riffs and Hatebreed style vocals and some Lamb Of God heaviness. Simple, catchy, and brutal.

Dissolved almost sounds like a different band, both in musicianship and vocals. The hardcore style still emminates - reminds me of an old DRI or Gorilla Buscuits song in delivery - maybe some old COC thrown into the mix. The solo has some nice complexities to it and the overlapping pitches give it almost a swedish type of sound, ala At The Gates or The Crown.

Love the intro to Sent To The Gallows but the kick in lacks some punch. It's like you hit the switch on your pedal and continued to play the same chords, but didn't give it the extra oomph it needs on the bottom end. The bass guitars and drums should kick on that (could just be my computer speakers, though). The different vocalists on Dissolved worked well but on this song it becomes a little muddled. I hear hardcore, death, clean, and black vocal styles so it gets confusing as to what you're trying to do. The clean chorus isn't doing it, just not enough there. The bridge into the end of the song is really kicking and the screams are brutal - maybe use that part as the meat of the song instead and save the clean vox for a more mellow tune.

Not bad, not bad at all. I think you just need to define a style and stick with it rather then trying to blend a lot of the main genres: 'core, death, black, and power.

If you're going to continue using clean vox then you need to clean up the delivery of them and not mellow out the music when they are used. My opinion is to stick to the more beefy, low end of the spectrum of vocal styles to match your music and have that stick all the way through the song - think God Forbid, rough voices highlighted with clean vocals. Perhaps a combo like Black Dahlia or Illdisposed - where it's death and black styles. Whatever you choose, don't switch them up so often - stick to a vocal style for a majority of the song or it will sound messy.

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Cheers guys! That's exactly what I was after

(was a little worried that the OP could be a bit of a troll-magnet)

@Chaos

I pretty much agree with everything you've said - I think extra guitar tracks and a bunch of subtle effects would be ideal.

We were a bit limited in the studio we were using as we purposefully chose one that was fully analogue - but on refelection, some pro-tools post-production would have helped.

I also think that the mastering method has something to do with the mp3 compressed files sounding flatter, on a big bass-responsive system, the bottom end sounds much much better on the CDs.

@Zherbus

Glad you enjoyed - when you say 'hammering' what do you mean? As I'm not the drummer, I'm not sure if it's a technical term or not - but it could be something we could try and integrate into the song

@Deathstorm

Thanks for listening, I know you're a bit of a metal connoisseur (sp?) due to your sig!

We try for as much variety as possible, to avoid sounding like anyone else all the time, but I can see where you're coming from regarding the mixed styles getting messy.

The vocals in particular have much variety because three of us in the band do the lead vocals - in differing amounts depending on the song. The higher end screaming and the gruffer vocals are me, the clean singing is the other guitarist and the harmonies and deep low roars are the bassist.

It gives us a pretty intense presence live - but I think it's not translating as well on to tape...

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I dig it.

Great stuff.