Minor/Repaint: My attempt at leader optimus prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jaspimus Prime, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

been lurking around for a while now and finally decided to get this started, only done about an hour on it so far but will update periodically with new pics

not much to comment on but go for it anyway if you want

p.s the sword isnt finished thats just a first coat

Update (more pics will come i promise)
    ive been very quiet for the last few weeks been busy and had a holiday to go on :)  ive been taking all the free moments i get to do some more work though
    comments welcome

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

so far so good.

I like it :) 

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yes, looking good.

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    You seem to be doing okay painting in the head details. I would recommend painting the inside of the backpack (and any other 'insides of panels' you may wish to paint) black before adding silver. That way it is more movie accurate. Plus, the silver detailing does not look very nice against all of that blue IMO. :) 

5. Jaspimus Prime

i like the idea of the black, i havent TOTALLY made my mind up yet whether or not im keeping it just lightly drybrushed or not, just thought id test it out plus ive seen another mod on here (not sure whose) where it was just drybrushed on the blue and i thought it looked ok......i admire your work though so i will def consider changing it :) 

6. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

That might have been mine, its drybrushed silver over the blue.

I plan to change it to what Mampy suggested above, and add some gold highlights in there, it should look a lot better. I repainted my Prime twice but forgot that bit the second time.

The swords will also look a lot better with a matt black base coat under the silver.

Nice work with the head, looks very clean.

Hakka.

7. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What brushes are you using on the head? It really looks great!

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Looks great. I echo what mampy said on the backpack. What I did was I will run it over with gunmetal and then later drybrush it with silver for the details.

As for the head, use the mugshot of Prime that came with the box of the toy, there are gold parts that you might want to highlight.

Anyway, I can't wait to see yours finish :thumb 

9. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

keep on updating man! Lookin' good so far.

10. Jaspimus Prime

thats great coming from you I love your work and although i like keeping my transformers just that....transformable i get lots of ideas from your designs so thats put a grin on my face after a crap shift at work :) 

all different but the two main ones are made by gamesworkshop (the guys who do warhammer) there called "fine detail" or something like that, they are tiny but i use them in combination with a magnifying glass and crocodile clip setup which is how i got the paint work fairly neat (my eyesight sucks without it)
    the head isnt finished yet, infact i added some more today including some gold, will post later though cos otherwise ill be flooding the board with 1000s of pics

a question i have though....how are we painting the "silver" ie the grey bits that should be silver on optimus, does everyone undercoat black, then paint silver, then layer on drybrushing? or what cos i cant make my mind up how to do mine keeping it looking good?

11. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Matt black base with silver drybrush for the metal looking parts works for me.

Hakka.

12. Jaspimus Prime

updated with new pic (only one for now) been undercoating in black...by hand its taking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggges