2D Artwork: my attempt at colouring WWI

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by limabean, Feb 12, 2006.

1. limabean

limabean Well-Known Member

well since i finished doing the litho iv had like a manic amount of creative energy. i cant help it im colouring like crazy. i found this page ages ago and woke up this morning and just decided to colour it :D 
    so here we are
    crit and everything welcome
    http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wwi34pj.jpg

2. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Well you've asked for crits, these will be pretty harsh.

First off, I don't think this is one of your better colorings as I think you can do a whole lot better, why? Well, you've been rather inconsistent with the lightsources, especially noticable on Kup and Grimlock which seems to be one panel of the rather confusing set of panels Wildman made there (some people like it that way, but I don't, one of the things I dislike about Wildman's pencils next to them often looking sloppy and unfinished or deformed for a proffesional - see Starscream's face for instance).

If you're going for shiny/glowing eyes, that didn't work out, they're too dark and they're overwhelming the lines a bit.

The sky doesn't quite look like a starfield as I presume your intention was. It looks more like you use a gaussian blurr directly over a noise filter, and just colored the radiant color of the explosion over that in a rather irregular way, especially as the radiant just simply stops instead of fading away. I suggest you look up a starfield tutorial. http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts_arts/making_a_star_field.html This one is the one I use and Josh uses since I handed it to him. :)  It takes some work but the results are amazing.

The explosion itself needs to be more vivid. It's a little bland at the moment. The smoke and dust seems to be too thick and in my opinion is also a bit too blobby (again, particularly around the edges) rather than dusty.

There seem to be two Swoops in the image rather than one that's transforming. I suggest you fade the lineart or blurr that part of the image such that you feel the suggestion of speed and that there's clearly only one Swoop rather than Swoop and his twin behind him.

I think it was Snarl driving on the right, right? I think you could add in some laser fire from his cannon there.

Lastly, I think you could have made a few better picks for the flat colors, particularly on the tires and tracks on Grimlock, as well as a bit more orangy yellow on Grimmy, though the latter is a personal preference.

Next to that... it's Wildman... that doesn't help it for me either... >.>

Aaaaanyway, sorry for the abundance of crits, but I hope these help you in the future!

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for that star tutorial man!

And yeah limabean if you incorporate some of the crits hans here said it'll look great (and the colors aren't too bad now either!) :D 

4. limabean

limabean Well-Known Member

fair do :D 
    lol iv just been using texture>grain for stars.
    i couldnt get the right number so i stretched it lol.
    lightsources for kup and grimlock i was using a) the laser sword, the big explosion in the background and the punch/explosion on octane. i hope that kinda makes more sense. and for colours i dunno i just i dunno im weird with the colours arnt i :D 
    but seriously thanks for the crit, i love your stuff, your proffesional right ?
    well im gonna go devour this new tutorial and post some new stuff :D 
    cheers though

5. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Proffesional? Heeelll no. :p  I'm just overly critical (which can be a good and a bad thing I think) and have some nice connections to get lineart. ;) 

Maybe one day but it's just a hobby for me at the moment. :) 

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah you suck! ;)