Minor/Repaint: my attempt at classics Ironhide - WIP - UPDATE 19 June

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Skyripper, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

Hi everyone, I've been at this site for a while but only started posting recently. After seeing all the awesome mods, bashes and what ever else you want to call them I was inspired to do one myself.

Ironhide was always one of my fave characters (even though he seemed to end up in Ratchets infirmary after every other battle lol) so I decided to do this mod with the E infreno mold I had.

After looking at the torso section it seems that it has been made one solid lump with rivets or something, so tips on how to dismantle it or tips on how to just paint it would be much appreciated.

thanks

EDIT: I've added some pics the first shows the foot articulation that I added, the second pic I added show the begining of the expoxy work on his leg. I'll do the other half of the leg when I have theupper wheels off. The next pic shows the back of the foot where I want to cut so I can get the affect in alt mode shown in the next pics. I'l try and get the wheels off soon (if I have the tools lol) If I can't I'll do some more epoxy work to the inner legs, head and forearms.

EDIT: I got the upper wheels off today and finshed the epoxy work on the legs. They look a bit on the messy side at the moment but I plan to sand them down anyways to even them out. I also cut of the powlinx port, I plan to sand it down and epoxy it up, I may end up resoting to gluing the front closed because it won't serve any pupose, I liked the opion of you guys before I do it though. I've also painted parts that won't need modding with a 2nd coat as the red doesn't want to cover the dark plastic, I might go for a 3rd if needed.

Attached Files:

2. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Sometimes you need to use a Sodering Iron to heat up the flat metallic area to remove things like wheels and heads...

To do this be sparing with the heat and pull away from the rivet with the wheel as not to damage the plastic.

Try to use a Cold Sodering Iron if available although I use an old school one with mostly success!

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^^^edit: beaten!

I don't have E Inferno, but I assume those wheels are just held on with a pin? If so, just heat the pin up with a soldering iron and then pull the tire off. Once the tires off you should be able to pull the pin out as well with a pair of pliers.

I don't know how old are you, but if you're a kid please don't do this yourself--GET AN ADULT TO HELP YOU AND WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

4. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I AGREE!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL WITH A SODERING IRON, ESPECIALLY UNPLUGGING IT!!!

When I was 13 I almost burnt down my parents house some 20 years ago by not unplugging the damn thing while bashing some Matchbox Robotech stuff. Never bashed again till about a year ago.

BE CAREFUL!!!

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard, and good luck man.

6. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

Thanks for the tips guys they'll be put to good use.

It's ok about the whole "kids shouldn't use tools" thing I'm 18 so I think I should be able to do it lol.

once the wheels are off there will be a big gap so I'l square/round him off with epoxy.

I think that I'm gona change his feet so that I can put him in better poses. At the moment I thinking alt prime feet, they firt on and the ball joint means the foot can move better, but I think I'l mod it so it is not limited at the back and fold up for alt mode, I'l get a pic up tonight. (bear in mind that I'm British so it won't be tonight for you guys in the states)

Again thanks for the help.

7. scouse--13

scouse--13 13

cool idear and nice to c more brits
    if u cant solder them out u can always dril the center of the rivet but be carefull (not for ur own safty think of the tf)

8. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

Just posting to say that I've put the pics up. I think that I may have to drill the wheel off as it looks like the toolbox of mystery in my shed doesn't have a soldering iron.

9. luke4

luke4 crocon

i think this bash is gonna look good when its done. its a real good idea!

10. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

just postin to say that I have managed to get the weels off, however the rivits/pins are provin stuborn.

I've also painted all the pices i feel needed no modind. I'll get pics as soon as possible. I'l be sculpting alot of holes and reshaping pieces soon so that will be my next set up.

...Btw does any one have any tips of getting a smooth surface and sculpting with epoxy?

thanks

11. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

When I use epoxy I usually sand it down when dry, but you can use sculpting tools too. Or you can use a plastic spoon.

12. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

thanks, I think the sanding method will de best as I can fet a smother finish

13. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

just putin up an update