Digibash: My attempt at a Superhero Digibash... feedback?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by tikgnat, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So yeah, I remember those crappy digibashed photos that were in Wizard years ago, and I always thought to myself, 'I could do better then that!'

Well, time to put my money where my mouth is I guess. This picture started off as a nudie pic (which isn't mine or anything, I just found a suitable one off the interwebs), but I tried to put her in Kitty Pryde's Shadowcat outfit. (Minus the red belt and X symbol, no matter what I did it looked ass).

[​IMG]

I did more then the standard 'change the hue' thing which seems to be the standard way of altering these pics, I tried to add sheen, texture and lighting to the suit, but really, I don't know if I was all that successful. (For a start I messed up her foot).

Some stuff came out alright, others didn't. I kept detail on her hands, but the shadows between fingers messed up a bit. It was actually harder to get all the elements right than I thought it would be...

Thoughts?

I might try some of these techniques on plastic toys to try to make them look metallic. I dunno.

Now that I think about it the full size ones texturing came out better... resizing it has lost some detail.

Attached Files:

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've never digibashed anything like this before, but I can tell you that this is tons better than the Wizard ones of old and the ones floating around today. The resize may have dumbed-down a lot of the detail, but the texture work still shows and is a very nice touch. The seams on the outfit really help sell it too.

One thing I might suggest is perhaps playing with the hue saturation on the model's face and hair? More vibrant colors on the skin and hair might help "blend in" more with the costume you've given her. Maybe even adding some digital make-up to make her features pop out more. ^_^

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think overall, you did a really good job here. One thing I might suggest is going over some of those outlines with a Blurr tool to make the borders not so stark. Aside from that, I think everything looks really cool :thumb 

4. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hokay, I spent a little more time on this, and done some stuff to her head to try to bring it together a little more, increasing the intensity, adding extra blush and lippy. The upshot to this is now I have the whole body there, so I can drop in a new background.

New background equals more fiddling with levels to try to get the lighting right.

Anyway, here's a full size version.

[​IMG]

You can see the texture more here, detail I'm quite proud of :) , but is lost on resize. :( 

The seams were a happy mistake, when I was blocking out the entire figure I separated the suit as you would, but photoshop always selected one pixel inside my selection, which ended up being the seams going through the whole picture. Add a dark suit base and BAM! Decent looking seams. Next time I'll do it deliberately though. :dunce 

Edit
    Sorry, editing a little there. Added some outline blur to try to set her against the background better. Did too much originally, and I quite like the in focus outline.

Edit
    Now I'm getting carried away, I've added a little lens flare too now. LAWL. Looks quite good now I think. :drool: 

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    How come your edges and lines have jaggies? What are u using? PS has anti aliasing for that sorta thing.

Overall i think it looks okay ish. If you were some noob id say it looks great. But your no novice :p 

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I did it as a test, just to see if I could, so bits of it are a little rushed. Especially at the beginning, I slowed down when I could see some results.

I just used photoshop, the jaggies are because of the process I used to copy/paste/crop so yeah, they could have been better... Actually I didn't even notice they were that bad...

How odd. Next time I do one I'll have to pay more attention... :redface2: