My Apologies to Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by defstar, Oct 10, 2007.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

As the title states…my apologies to the Beast Wars series is now at hand…back in the day when the show first aired I seen maybe three episodes tops from series one (don’t remember which ones obviously) but I do remember strongly despising the show…not sure if it was because I was so use to G1, that the Transformers were transforming into animals and not vehicles such as cars & fighter planes or that the show was tapping into the new realm of computer animated cartoons of the time…the only thing I do remember liking was seeing Rhinox unloading with his chain gun and sometimes dual chain guns…but that my friends was about it…

Now over a decade later (about three months ago) I’m walking around TRU in the Transformers’ section of course and I see the BW 10th Primal/Megs two pack…not sure what it was but the set just looked awesome (Though I must say that I’m a sucker for nice box art) thought about it for a while and later that night I was back at TRU picking it up…

Shortly after that I’m looking for the series on youtube (big thanks to TheUltimateOne81 for posting them) get completely pulled into the storyline which has to be the best all-time as far as cartoons go…You’ve got great character development on both sides, Dinobot who truly is a Hero in the story, the bonds between Silverbolt & Blackarachnia and also Tigatron & Airazor, Waspinator providing the comic glue and even an appearance from Ravage (plus loads and loads more as most of you already know)…

Needless to say these three months later I’ve now watched all of season’s one two and three (plan on getting the DVD’s) and have almost all the original character’s toys plus a few from the JBW side…just a great tv series and toyline that I’m glad I was able to finally enjoy…

So anyway…that is my Beast Wars story that I had to finally get out…hope you enjoyed it…if you haven’t seen BW or it’s been a while give it another look…it’s a great period within the TF timeline…Anyone else have a similar bout with BW as I did…?

Btw…We need a Ravage reissue bad…

2. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    dude its good that you enjoyed maybe the best series since G1! You have to get a hold of the DVD's i watch them all the time. Its an amazing series.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also apologized around the time that the Hasbro anniversary BW toys came out.

4. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I felt the same way once upon a time too. i wouldn't say I despised the series back in the day but I certainly wasn't a fan until recently. I first picked up the VHS tapes of season one at a thrift shop for like 99 cents each last year, plugged them in and fell in love with the series. Since then I've watched some of season 2(missed Ravage) and bought season three on DVD a couple months back. I think Waspinator has become one of my all time favorites equal too any of my G1 favorites as well. The more adult plot lines really surprised me, as did all the character deaths. I still love G1 but Beast Wars is a series very worthy of the Transformers name!

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I was just watching my season 2 dvd a few minutes ago. Awesome show, but the animation is starting to look really dated.

6. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I agree. That's the only real issue I have ever had with the series was the animation. I have never been a fan of that kind of animation, I would have much rather had conventional animation.

Besides that though, BW is very well written, thought out and just flat out fantastic!
    It is a very addicting series. Great characters, stories and even some G1 revelations thrown in for good measure(I don't want to say any more than that for those who haven't seen the series).

Its great stuff, make no mistake about it.

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah the animation does look a little dated but i do like the CGI type animation and i would love to see another good Transformers series in that type animation because i felt it gave it a technolgy feel to the show. I also think that it seemed more appropriate for Transformers.

I also wish we could get those writers back and put together a new show! I mean i hope that Transformers:Animated does good but i am a little cautions that the storyline wont be that great. So i think that if we could get the writers back from Beast Wars i mean even Beast Machines didnt have bad writers its better then the crap that has been coming out here recent i mean Cybertron was okay but Energon sucked bad!

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

So far everyone who made themselves sit down and watch BW (but previously didn't like, just like me) had an epiphany. The problem is getting all the other naysayers to do so. I vote we wrangle them all up, rent a theatre and do every last one of them "Clockwork Orange" style. What say you??!!

9. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    LOL
    Lets do it!

In all seriousness, the quality of the material speaks for itself. That's why so many naysayers change their tune after watching the BW series.
    I was never a BW naysayer myself but to those who are I say watch the 3 part Agenda arc and the first few episodes of season 3. That will give you a good taste.
    Its clear that all parties involved with the project from the writers to the voice actors were taking this series very seriously.

I also say if you are going into the BW series for the first time with LOW expectations you will definitely be pleasantly surprised very quickly.

ITS NOT LIKE the HEADMASTERS series where you go into it with very high expectations and get a major let-down! (especially if you watch the star-dub) LOL

10. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    i still find it boring and bad...

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BW is watchable but not BM for me.
    I still leave most Beast TFs as Beasts, carpet huggers. :lol 

12. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    :) 

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I've always respected BW. Not sure how much I liked it though... somewhere between kind'a and alot. It wasn't until they introduced the G1 elements that the series really got good in my eyes. Though I must say as the years have gone by, I've become a bit nostalgic for the series. Maybe I'd even like to see another BW series being made, but perhaps this time make it a little bit more like the G1 episode "call of the primitives."

Every time BW is brought up, I feel the need to mention that Car Robots is what really got me back into TFs big time. BW was just sort of neat and a why to keep Transformers in my life. BW always sort of felt like it should have been it's own series and not related to Transformers. Maybe then I would have liked it a bit more.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been getting BW from Blockbuster online, and have been fairly impressed with the stories, and how individual episodes still tie into a bigger plot- something not even most TV dramas do well. The characters seem a little two-dimensional at times, but I don't mind. I may be obtaining a small collection of BW toys soon, and am looking forward to it.

-Tony!

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BW was the best Transformers series period. The animation is still better than some shows on today, and totaly blows any cartoon out of the water. The toys were among the best we've ever gotten, and they had great characters. I love the show and toys and watch my VHSs and DVDs whenever I can.

Some of the less spot-lighted characters in the show were a little two-dimensional, (Scorponok and Terrorsaur, but then, when have we seen a series besides BW/M, Armada and G1 that gives any character development at all besides groans and punching teamates?) but most were very well developed. (Megatron, Primal, Tarantulas, Cheetor, Rattrap, Dinobot, Tigatron, Blackarachnia, Rampage, Silverbolt, Waspinator(!)...) I'm also glad you and others are enjoying it too.

And someone said it was boring, how so? Was it because the fights were actually violent? Or because it actually had a detailed plot past "Bad guys fight good guys"? Or that the Characters could show emotion past a straight line that arch's up or down in the center? Or that they had intricate details and individual looks past "red box man #1 and blue box man #3"? Or was it because it used dynamic camera angles? Or because it actually used inuendo? Or was it because with most characers, when they died, you actually felt sorry for them? Or was it because when they transformed, they actually looked like they were transforming and not morphing/melting down into a puddle in the shape of a car, or haveing violent seizers? Or was it because (especialy in the second season forward) the characters actually looked like the toys?

I am a huge BW fan, and I have only two minor negatives with the show as a whole:

1- No Sky-byte. LULZ.

2- Though the dialog was fantastic, (especialy Megatron's) some of the battle phrases spokken by lesser characters (Cheetor) were a little lame. (Though, to be honest, I was too busy staring at all the detail in the designs and fighting)

BM is also excellent show, still years ahead of most shows, but there are a few things you must remember to do before watching it:

1- Don't watch BW right before.

2- Pretend it doesn't have anything to do with TFs, because it will just destroy it. Even with all the references to BW and G1, just, forget.

3- Don't think of them as robots as much as they are robot animals that change into huminoid forms.

Keeping those three facts in mind, it is easily an excellent "Kids" show.;) 

16. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Couldn't agree more...they keep the plot going very well from episode to episode...first time viewers should really start from the beginning and try not to jump around or you'll spoil the surprises ahead...

If you're going to start collecting the toys I would recommend going first with the TRU 10th releases...you'll be able to pick them up a little cheaper on ebay and their colors are closer to that of the show IMO...

Couple of people said before that the CGI looks dated...I think it still looks wonderful...I love how the designers were able to use it to create the beautiful landscapes and changing weather environments...

The only thing that was a little tough for me was almost all the series one characters turning into TM's...Megatron's new form/s was the best looking...all the others didn't look as well as their original forms IMO...but again it's the story that does most of the shining with this series...

17. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

I remeber LOVING it when it aired. I was working at the University of Wisconsin Madison, and we had a group of student that would come in everyday, and all the tv's would be switched over to BW. After a few weeks, the group kept growing, and more people would be "what's that". A new Transformers series, I would say....many became engrossed. Surprisingly, there was a BIG group of women that started getting into it also.
    Due to the thread a couple of months ago ( where a new fan just started watching it for the first time), I rewatched the whole series :)  I understand some of the gripes about the CGI. Season one looks dated, but season 2 on got much better. The main reason I feel many people don't like it as much is...

1.) It's not G1 (blasphemy!!)
    2.) How many cartoons have a theme/storyline carried out for more than an episode or 2?
    3.) The whole no cars/jets/etc.

To bad Transtech never saw the light of day :( 

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I've only seen one episode. One toy I bought came with a Transmetal episode. But thats all I ever saw. Once I get my broadband connection back, I'll have to check them out on youtube.

19. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I've always liked BW, I just wish it had a way better continuation/sequel.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I HATED the idea of Beast Wars. I was into the X-Men stuff when it was first released, and I see the toys on the shelves with the old G1 character's names as animals and immediately declare bullshit. I did get Dinobot however, which I thought was a pretty cool toy. Then I happened to catch Code of Hero on TV and was blown away. I watched it a few more times and eventually bought the TM2 Cheetor and Dinobot toys. I had bought a few BW toys on ebay over the years after I got baack into collecting, but it wasn't until last year that I saw the entire series when I bought the DVDs and became completely immersed in it. Went on ebay, bought a bunch more toys, bought the BWX reissues. It's such a fantastic show. I also like Beast Machines as well (still can't like the ending though ;)  ). I've said it a lot in the past, but G1 will always be my favorite Generation since I grew up with it, but Beast Wars is a much better series. I can't watch half of the G1 cartoon now that I've seen BW/BM since it's so horrible.