My 9 year old nephew and G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Wowww I can't believe how amasing it is my 9 year old nephew loves G1 each time he comes over he wants to watch G1 TF over Ben 10 and etc. He even asked me " Uncle I know what I want for X-mas, I want you to get me all the old Transformers cartoons including the Movie where Prime and Megatron die'' Can't believe my 9 year old nephew preferes 80's cartoon over today's cartoon. I just wanted to share it with you guys on how happy it made me.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm not that surprised.

I mean, excluding a few good ones, many of "today's" cartoons kinda tend to suck ass, and by the age of nine, it looks like he's figured out how to see through bullshit.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

my 4 year old loves g1, beastwars, energon, cybertron, animated, bayverse, and prime.

im going to get some voltron soon to watch. first thing he asked me when he saw voltron lion force intro on youtube was, "is he an autobot or decepticon?" i said, "he is neither. he is the defender of the universe."

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Read him the Marvel comics as bedtime stories, instead. You won't just be encouraging him to read, but you'd also be exposing him to the superior G1 continuity.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

oh yeah. i gotta get some of those tpb.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    my youngest nephews love the G1 cartoon so much i had to buy them a set to get mine back .

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don't forget to read him some Batman comics, like The Long Halloween for example.

8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

My ten year old step son isn't very big fan of the original series. The only episodes he'll watch with me is is the "Return Of Optimus Prime" episodes. He really likes the original animated movie though. For whatever its worth, he's more of a super hero fan. He prefers when I'll watch Batman:The Animated Series or Superman:The Animated Series.

9. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's bringing them up right!

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    No reason today's kids wouldn't still enjoy the G1 cartoon. When I was a kid in the mid 80s, I remember watching Warner Bros and Disney cartoons from the 40s and 50s, Hanna-Barbera stuff too.

Cool stuff :) 

11. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

That's a good point. I remember some of the stuff that came on back then and a lot of it was not new. Johnny Quest, for instance, was not brand new.

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well I guess a cartoon is still a cartoon, no matter what decade it was made.

I loved the 40's Superman cartoons as a kid - and of course, I still do.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Proof that Kids are more intelligent then we thought. :D 

G1 was great kid friendly cartoon where they had a lot fun with their badass war.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    My nephews are 9 and one thing I always tease them about (because they agree) is that I had it best being a kid in the 80's. Best toys, best cartoons.

They prefer playing with my original GI JOES vs the new stuff. In regards to TF my one 9 y/o nephew's fav series / toys is G1 but he is going through an Armada phase right now...Technically it was his first series so I guess he already started reliving his youth lol

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Despite it being all cool now to point out how much G1 supposed sucked, it was a damn well done cartoon and DOES hold up over time to a great degree. Yeah some of the alt modes are dated now and it had its plot/continuity pitfalls, but the voice acting was top notch and very diversified, the animation for the most part was extremely vivid and well done, the characters had much more development than a lot of people (now) want to give credit for, and the show overall was undeniably engaging. For a show that was done back in the 80's that was supposedly nothing more than a long drawn out toy commercial, it's amazing how much better it still looks compared to many, many, many animated shows of present. And at 9 years old, thankfully, kids have little to compare it to or get all bitter & elitist about.

16. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    **I think the older cartoons are much better than the recent ones, with the exception of a few.**

17. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those are classics, its something that you just can't stop watching and forget and everyone knows them when there on.

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    My lil 8 year old bro got an iTunes gift card for Easter and bought 3 g1 episodes with it. He also seen the g1 movie and prefers chugs over movie toys.

19. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Your nephew has good taste!

20. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I don't know. I mean if I were a kid who had grown up over the last ten years or so on action cartoons like Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, the 2002 He-Man, the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and now with Transformers: Prime, and then was shown the original Transformers cartoon? I just don't know that I'd sit there and say to myself "Yes! Now this is what I call a cartoon!"