Minor/Repaint: My 2 Newest Alts - Now w/ Pics!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gen. Magnus, May 5, 2006.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Yes, I know, it's been a while. Well, I have two alternators to show for the time.

Of course, the painting has been done for some time, really. I wanted to use label paper but first was out of ink. Then, I had to wait like 5 weeks to get in my stupid decal paper. After that wait, the decal paper was garbage so I used my label paper instead (that I've had for quite some time).

Sadly, I don't have my digital right now. My in-laws have it so I can not photograph them just yet.

To get things started, however, I will let you all know what I did.

I took the prowl mold and painted it in black with a gun metal hood / chest section. This is Wild Rider. I didn't realize until after painting him that TF Master used a similar scheme. Oh well.

My other will go over well or like a lead balloon. I took Skids and made Alt Reflector. Yes, the camera. He is now a purple photo supply delivery vehicle. I think it turned out well. I can't wait to show it to see what everyone else thinks. I have attached the logo that I used for the front so you can get the idea.

[​IMG]

Reflector is really for my wife as whe is a professional photographer. She selected all of the companies that have logos on the vehicle. I have all of the logos to make it look like a corporate cehicle with sponsers / carried companies.

The real company logos are as follows: Nikon, Epson, Fuji Film, NAPP, Tiffen, Mamiya, & PPA.

Beyond that, I'll have photos to show you as soon as possible.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds awesome, can't wait to see...

3. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Sounds pretty cool. I definatly want to see this Alt. Reflector! :) 

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

What? No pix? :p 

Can't wait to see what these guys look like. WEEE!!!

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    This thread is useless without the pix :p 

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

agreed

7. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Sounds cool....and looks awe...awww...wait a minute, what are you trying to pull here...

I'm just kidding...can't wait to see it, it sounds real cool. No offense to Wildrider...but I'm more excited about Reflector!

Reflector from the Skids mold? Sounds good to me...why do you think it'll go over like a lead balloon...its probably more like an energon goodie.

Pics! Pics! Pics!

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    if reflector doesn't have a humongous scion logo with flames coming off it, I think EVERYone will dig it :lol 

9. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Hey! Don't know Skids! He's just trying to compensate!

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I like your kitbashes, I'll wait for the new ones.

11. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    I agree with you 100%. I'll see what I can do with my phone's camera today. Last night they did not want to upload.

Nope, no giant flames. The only downside to reflector, IMO, other than the fact that the purple on the labels is slightly off from the paint color (nothing I could do about that, sadly) is that the pinkish- purple I used for the face was closer to the purple I used for the body than I would have liked.

It is that the idea is a little odd - instead of a camera he is a delivery vehicle w/ a bunch of photographic logos (as if 'wrapped').

12. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Well, I finally got the images off of my phone. Sadly, they sucked. I am hoping to get the digital back from my in-laws tonight. I promise, as soon as I can, I'll post pics! I am terribly sorry for the delay. I know that the thread is useless w/o pics but I wanted to let you all know what I have been up to custom wise.

13. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Here is the old thread. Sadly, I can't seem to change the title so I made a new thread. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=98933

As the title reads, I now have pics avaliable foy my two newest custom alts. The pictures aren't as great as I would like but they'll have to do.

14. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Alt. Wild Rider

WildRider (Wld Rdr) was made with an Alt Prowl and Krylon Fusion black w/ Tamiya Light Gun Metal for the highlights. The head was actually the alt prowl head but highly cut on. The bits on the sides, IIRC, were made from the ends of an Energon Prowl's head tailpipes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The NOS tank was actually made from the end of a marker that I cut to length and wrapped in electrical tape before painting. The hoses from it are speaker wire.

15. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Alt Reflector

Reflector was made from a Skids that was painted with two different shades of Tamiya purple paint. I know the face looks really dark in the pics. It is, infact, a few shades lighter than the body. The highlights were done with a Tamiya metalic green (to copy the green block that was on his chest in the cartoon).

As was said before, this one was made for my wife who is a professional photographer. She picked out all of the logos before they were made and I made sure I got her approval on the colors beforehand as well.

I am not very happy with the color difference from the labels to the paint but it was the best I could do. I tried decal paper but it sucked. Bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The labels for the outside companies feel a little sparce. I may add some more in the future.

16. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Sorry for the additional thread but I could not change the title to reflect that this now had images so I made a new thread. If a mod wants to lock, kill, or merge this one - go for it.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Excellent work all around, GM! I'm really impressed. Wildrider's paint scheme turned out really good and Reflector's colors are magnificent - really distinct colors!

The one comment I have about the company logos on the sides of Reflector is that they don't exactly look realistic, at least in terms of a commercial merchandise vehicle.

One of the styling methods that seems to be pretty universal for product placement on cars is that, if you're going to have more than one company logo, you should group them in one location. The best example I could find is this:

Note the logo placement

...now, aside from the obvious "Oh my God his ride is pimped!" look of that car, pay attention to the grouping of the commercial logos - they're organized together, instead of randomly spaced out.

If you decide to go back and change the logo placement, I think it'd look nice if they were near the front door of the Scion - towards the front wheels and the hood - as opposed to spaced across the body.

...and, again, note - I'm only offering a friendly suggestion. Great job all around, dude!

18. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Over all I think they are very well done but I have one issue, "reflectors"windows......I know you must have had a rough time removing the "pixie dust". It is obvious from the scaring on the windows. what did you use to remove them? I have a sugestion....sand the windows with a medium grit sand paper, the work to the finest grit sand paper you can find, then dip the windows in future flore polish. on the first dip rub the future in to the window really well with your finger the just keep dipping until it comes out clear.

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Grey, all ya had ta do was ask :)  I can change thread titles for anyone in here or in N&R. I've merged your two threads.

That being said, I really like these two alts bro! I see what you mean now about the blue of his face not quite contrasting the main blue. A nifty trick I've figured out to brighten a color a shade or two is to paint (in this instance) the face with a metallic silver or gold (make sure its a good and shiny version) and THEN paint your color-choice over it after its dry. I did it on my current WIP, Alpha Trion, to get his purple paint aps to contrast better from the blue, and it worked great!

Andy

20. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:

Those are great tips. I think I'll go back and do just that. Thanks for the advice.

Gods, those were a total pain. I used paint thinner and a lot of elbow greese to get them as best I could.

To tell the truth, I'm always a bit affraid to use saind paper as I don't want to scratch the surface or wear it unevenly. I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks for the tip on that silver. I'll give it a try next time. I know it looks blue in the pics but it realls is purple. It is pretty close to the cartoon reflector's purple.

Thanks again, everyone, for your comments and criticisms.