My 1st Scopedog... the story.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Codimus Prime, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

[​IMG]

Got this from ebay...
    Kaiyodo Xebec Toys ATM-09-ST Scopedog (Damage Version

Boy is it a little bit of a dog ....

I got home last night and opened up the box. The package had been opened. Some of the parts were floating around the box. Nothing is broken, but I was a little peeved the seller didn't say it was opened.

Anywho onto the figure...

He's PVC and pretty detailed. Comes with lots of little accessories. He's got 2 different guns, some canisters, extra hands, a base, and little flaps. His antennae are even metal. No complaints so far.

I take him out of the box and try to stand him and notice he feels a little floppy in the arm department. Kinda hard to lock him up in a pose. Then I noticed how some parts come off too easy, and some feel like you're breaking them removing them. And it's not necessarily uniform either. One foot is easily pose-able while the other is either all up or all down. The leg joints are also a little sucky. They feel like he's pointing his toes outward. This makes him rather front/back heavy (depending on pose).

Needless to say, he fell over right after taking the picture at the top.

MODS, I didn't know if this should have been posted in Feedback (since he's not a TF).

This is more of a warning to anyone looking at these toys. He was cheap ($10 shipped), but I definitely got what I paid for.

I've since talked to SydneyY and was told to look into Max Factory Scopedogs. Which look pretty cool.

Sorry for the one picture (I thought the story might be better).

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "battle scarred" details look quite decent...but I don't like the "gap" between the shoulders...sorry that that purchase er, sucked...anyway, go for the Maxfactory's Votoms...I posted more pictures in the "Votoms" or "Scopedog" thread quite sometime back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zaku II - "er, I think we're on the wrong show!"

[​IMG]

3. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Those Max Factory Scopedogs are great, but they're just too expensive for their size. The really should be $10-$15 cheaper. If you can find them decently priced though they are pretty cool, even if small. Also, the Yamato 1:12 Scopedog is really cool if you've got $100 or so to blow. It's worth it to me because it is so much bigger, but your mileage may vary.

4. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree...I bought the Brutishdog and Strikedog off ebay and it was pretty expensive...but I had no choice, the local important stores in my country was not bring them in...sigh...it is one of the better Votoms line out there.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the 2 Yamato Scopedogs I own:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Codimus Prime, thank you for the pics. I don't know when it was released, but I guess $10 shipped is a good price. The seller should have stated that it was opened, for sure. I'd be bloody pissed.
    (BTW its price for a MISB one here was AU$35...US$30... shipped sometime last year. Hope this makes you feel better.)

Kaiyodo also has very small and articulated Scopedogs ( http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9-%E8%A3%85%E7%94%B2%E9%A8%8E%E5%85%B5%E3%83%9C%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BA-KT%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3DX-%E8%A3%85%E7%94%B2%E9%A8%8E%E5%85%B5%E3%83%9C%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BA2%E4%BD%93%E3%82%BB%E3%83%83%E3%83%88/dp/B000FUTQIW/ref=pd_rhf_p_8/250-0272579-7718643 ) I hear of a problem with the leg joints, though. They are only 3 inches tall. Them and Actic Gears are 1/48 scale, and I don't know if there are larger scale figures before 1/35. Probably not.

Max35 Brutishdog and Strikedog look great, let alone my all time favourite Bloodsucker. I still think the regular Scopedog's head is a tad too big.
    I don't think they adhere to the show accurate scales, though, as they all look to be the same height. I think LigerPrime can confirm that...he's got heaps as you can see. I only have Bloodsucker.
    But hey, this is a TF forum. I don't think eveyone's fussy about the scales, right? :D 

LigerPrime, your Tortoises are awesome. Nice Yamato Dogs, too :)  (I am getting the DMZ version of that space assault Dog)

Next up 1/24 and 1/20 are model kits. The upcoming Bandai 1/20 models sound really cool. If you are into building kits they'd be cool, too.
    1/24 revival model kits are unpainted, I think, but I am not sure.

Next up are the big $100+ guys.Yamato (1/12) is top of the line of course, lots of accsseories availabel, too. But I started buying TakTom DMZ (1/18) series so I'll go with them :D  There'll be custom parts with Microman Vanila (sp?) out in August!

No other robots can be as far different from Transformers as Votoms ATs, there's nothing indivisual or super about them, but they are still very cool machines.

6. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

what is a scopedog

7. Emperor Mengde

The Scopedog is one of the mainstay mecha of the animated series Armored Trooper Votoms. It's an AT, one model of many. Think of it as a future tank, although more disposable.

8. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments on the tortoises! They're so block and yet so cool looking at the same time! :D 

By the way, congrats on the space assault dog! I saw him the other day at an import shop and included is the female lead character! Very cool! Seriously, if I had known TakaraTomy would release the Strikedog, I would be getting the Takara line instead! I think there are plans to release the Rabidly Dog also! I can KNOW your wallet's going to be even lighter! :D 

9. SydneyY

News Credits:
    1/18, 1/35 and 1/48.
    [​IMG]

My Actic Gears have some broken/missing bits. I am too clumsy for something this delicate.
    (I have even broken my1/18 Dog. That handle on the belly is fragile!)
    1/18
    [​IMG]

Actic Gear Dog with a smaller PVC figure.
    [​IMG]

I forgot to mention CM's Corp 1/35 ATs. I think they are even pricier than Max35 and have QC problems, though they have released the ATs which aren't done by other campanies.

10. Codimus Prime

Those shots with the drivers are awesome!!!!!

Those 1/12s are hot :) 

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Blast you Sydneyy!!! I told myself that I'm done with Scopedog but your pictures showing all the comparisons of all the VOTOMS mecha is amazing! :D  If TakaraTomy releases the Standing Tortoises...I think my wallet is doomed...

Cody - the cool thing about the TakaraTomy Scope dogs is that the 3 3/4 inch GI Joes can "sit" inside them! :) 

12. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Yamato has better driver figures I hear (Emperor Mengde might have one?) It's a more affordable deal with TakTom DMZ because they come with Microman figures.

LigerPrime, yeah I want to see bigger Tortises, too :D  They are cool in action...did you get to watch the show?

13. Codimus Prime

Not to "jump the shark" on the driver figures, but I wonder if a THS-02 will fit in there... he's about that size.

14. SydneyY

News Credits:
    THS-02 and a Microman is about the same height, so he should fit in. I sold my THS-02 so I can't try myself :( 

[​IMG]

Sorry about a bad pic.

15. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, no...all I've seen are the clips you forwarded...I've been searching high and low for a dvd set in my country but no success...I think I have to give my wallet a "break" until I can source them from ebay! :D 

Codimus - not too sure about the answer to your question and although I don't own a THS Optimus, I'm THINK that the THS can fit into the Yamato Scopedog because the cockpit is extremely big...especially if THS Prime's legs can put into a sitting position but no take my word for it! LOL!

16. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Hmmm you are right. THS-2 would fit in Yamato one with no problem. If 1/18, I suppose Strikedog would be a better fit, as it's bigger than Scopedog.
    Convoy has wider shoulders and thicker body, so 1/18 Scopedog might be too tight.

BTW I made a mistake in my previous post with the pics of ATs. The large ones I have are 1/18! Why the heck did I type 12? I am sorry.

edit; I might as well post as many pics I have :p 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bloody version of this picture; http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/tonpinchan/TOYS/WarDogsBloody.jpg

17. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Congrats on those awesome Votoms figures! The original figures were from Takara too if I remember correctly and they were kind of articulated, why they didnĀ“t do Tf's with such great articulation???

18. SydneyY

News Credits:
    I can only remember the model kits back in the day. 23 years ago? (Wow, I have just scared myself typing that.) If they had articulated figures I must have missed them. Votoms is pretty much the last cartoon I eagerly watched and bought some merchandise before I came back to toy buying a few years ago.

Those robot toys came a loooong way since the 70/80s.

Bit off topic, but I think my generation in Japan are the main buying force of those high-end robot toys including SoCs. We all remember the cartoons we watched when we were young and have thicker wallets to buy stuff. Kids in Japan nowadays aren't into robots anymore, thus robot toys get more and more expensive. Happened to TFs, too.

Anyway I found those, 1/144 figures! I am so getting them. Look how small they are...only in Japan.
    http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/TMW_F144_01.htm

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    SydneyY - The pix of the scopedogs in the fire looks amazing great! Definately the picture youy have done so far!

As for the 1/144 figures, I think some import shops in my country was carrying them recently...I can't remember clearly as its been quite awhile since I paid them a visit. And yes, they do look cool! :D 

20. Emperor Mengde

I do indeed have the 1/12 Chirico figure for my 1/12 Scopedog. It's a pretty cool figure, with some good poseability and a ton of optional hands and such. Also comes with two heads, one with helmet and one without. The paint on my figure was also really well done as well, and that's saying alot considering how critical I am about paint flaws. To me, the 1/12 Scopedog just doesn't seem right without a pilot, and I'm disappointed at the lack of a Fyana figure (which would actually make me go and purchase a Brutish Dog).

My only real complaint with the 1/12 Scopedog, and I'm pretty sure they fixed this on all releases after the first, is that it's really hard to get the hands in and out. I actually took a hobby knife and cut away some of the plastic to make guide notches so that they would go in easier. I'm just happy with the general durability of the toy, as the plastic used is of a type that's more durable than Yamato uses on their Valkyries.