Customs: My 1st custom- disaster already

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Without going into too great detail, I struck disaster within the 1st hour of work on my first custom.

I was attempting to transplant Universe Hound's arms onto someone else (an Energon character- name escapes me. He's a jeep), however the ball joints were too different. Wondering the best way to proceed I decided to hack off the Energon's ball joint post and drill out the post.

The hole was just the right diameter for Hound's ball joint post- too bad I cut them too short.

Now, I mutter an obscenity occasionally- drop an "F" bomb when things go rough- nothing that I am proud of. However, I can't recall in recent memory saying that many "F" words that many times in succession.

I decided that it was the perfect moment to call it a night. Not a bad idea either, since I am already thinking about solutions- short of buying another Hound off EBAY.

Taking a step back makes me realize that Hound's post may never have been long enough to begin with, so the solution I am leaning toward is to completely remove the post from Hound's ball joint, just leaving the ball. Then I'll drill a hole the same diameter as I did in the Energon character into the ball and use some modeling sprue, or maybe even a nail- cut to length- to create a new post. Then I'll Krazy Glue the nail into the hole and the other end of the nail into the Energon character.

Anyone have any better advice or tips?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're trying to get Uni Hound's arms onto Energon Strongarm/Movie Crosshairs (the scout sized jeep, with the energon axe)?

I see what you mean by the two ball joints being a different size. If all else fails, Houn'ds arms swivel just below the shoulder joint (or just above the elbow). You can just detach them there, and because Strongarm's shoulder joints are hollow near the elbow, a bit of cuttin here and there should allow you to glue the remaining part of Hound's arm in there, and still retain elbow articulation, albeit sacrificing the swivel.

Making a Brawn, are we?

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    From what I'm understanding, you basically need a new post for the ball joint to be attached to. If this is the case, I'd suggest using some small rod styrene, tube styrene, or just some small pieces of plastic cut to help build it up a bit so that it can allow the Universe Hound arm to snap onto the ball joint.

It might help us also if you could snap a few pics of what you're talking about so that we can suggest some ideas or alternatives to what we've already mentioned. Hope you get it sorted out without buying another. Just snap a few shots and maybe someone can help you out here, man.

4. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Energon Strongarm! Yeah, that's the guy I'm using to make my own Brawn. Thank you.

Yeah, Strongarm's ball joint is larger than Hound's. I went the direcion that I did because I didn't think that shaving down Strongarm's ball joint would have been a good idea. Hindsight being 20/20, maybe it was.

The reason I am using Hound's arms is because of the swivel. I want Brawn to have that swivel-arm battle grip that Strongarm doesn't have. Besides- Srongarm's ball and post are gone, with a hole on the sholder replacing it.

Now if I use rod styrene or tube styrene, would that material be srong enough to wihstand the stresses of being a sholder bone holding a sholder ball joint? That's why I was considering a nail.

However, I am hesitant because nails are zinc, and I'm not sure if Krazy Glue can adhere plastic- whatever kind that is used for these toys- to zinc. I'm sure it can, altho styrene sounds more easier to work with.

Will get pictures Tuesday evening at the earliest, because of my schedule.

Thank you for your replies and I hope to share more soon.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Styrene may be strong, but because of Strongarm's tranformation, i would recommend using the nail. If you do go with styrene, when flipping the arms out of the underside of the jeep, i'd be a bit more careful than normal.

Also, remember to shave down the pegs that held Strongarm's arms in place in jeep mode.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Ahhh...I see the problem!

[​IMG]

Ha Ha! Just teasing, we can all relate and feel your pain! First rule my friend, measure twice, measure once more, cut once!

It's happened to all of us my man, you make the mistake and learn not to do it again. As for the solution, your on the right track.:thumbs2: 

I would definitely recommend the nail technique over styrene, as the shoulders are most likely a high stress area. I also recommend using epoxy over super glue in this application!

You'll get it goin' and you've learned a valuable lesson along the way! You really have to double check things when doing a heavy mod, mistakes can get costly quick!

I look forward to seeing the solution as well as the completed project!:thumbs2: 

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta love hank.
    When I have issues like this...I look in my Gundam boxes...you would be amazed what you will find in there to fix up a mistake.
    Good luck with Brawn!
    He is on my list

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Had to work a few nights, took Tuesday night off to go see a horrible movie because of its 3D... (just stay away fron Final Destination 3D- it's worse than bad. I have a good mind to mail New LIne Cinema my movie ticket for a refund).

It took a few days to get back to Brawn. I cut Hounds sholder peg off it's ball and drilled a hole in the ball.

Later I cut the nail down to an appropriate length and glued 1 end into the ball and then the other end into Longarm's sholder.

For the most part, success! The down side is that because of the hollowing out of Hound's sholder ball joint it lost it's shape. It does its job, but some arm movement is smooth and then it gives me heavy resistance.

I probably should have used epoxy, but I felt intimidated. However, the cyanoacrylite seems to be holding well.

Have to get ready to go out to dinner, so the pictures will come later tonight.