Heavy/Scratch: My 1/24 scale Movie Optimus Project

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by yongkykun, Jul 26, 2009.

1. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

SnaP! I just found out that Sideshow is going to make a maquette of Optimus Prime. My project, which is to make a true 1/24 scale of Optimus, isn't going too smoothly what with me working on a government project with early September deadline. But before I started on that project, I've done some modeling for the head. And it's pretty hard because I have to make sure every single piece is printable and in scale.

Here's a WIP, the piece to the right is the 90% finished printable piece.
    [​IMG]

But then I found out this evening about THIS!
    [​IMG]

Damn.... Do I feel stupid. At least it's a statue and not an articulated figure like what mine is going to be. But it's really discouraging to see that a big company had made it first before I even began with mine. Just ranting here people, but any word of encouragement will always be welcome. And thanks for reading this.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  2. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Using a 3D printer then?

Sweeeeeeet.

Be damn useful on my latest project.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep going damn it!! I wanna see what you come up with, and the I'm gonna want you to scale it down to a 12" scale so it can be swapped with the leader rotf prime, lol!!!

4. yongkykun

My HS will be using snap-kit approach which means that you don't have to use any screws. But I don't know if it'd work on a smaller scale because the housing for the LED will be for the current scale :( 

5. LegoNinja

LegoNinja Well-Known Member

But the statue can't be made to flip people off or to simulate masturbation. :(  If yours is posable than it is far superior!

6. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say continue. Your model is too good to put to waste.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scaled down model gets a scaled down LED, KOOKOOCACHOO BABY! PROLEM SOLVED! Lol, but seriously, continue and see how far you get, bc I agree with what the other guy said that if yours is. Posable, its already supirior.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'll say this, man........do what YOU want to do, without worrying about whether another 'basher or company has beat you to it. Do it for the love, bro. What you've done so far with that model up top looks very promising. Just keep at it and don't rush things. Sometimes it can seem a bit discouraging to see someone beat you to the punch on something, but just take it in stride and do your best and you'll still be happy with the end result (as will others).

Good luck with it and I'm looking forward to seeing more on it.

9. yongkykun

Gee, thanks you guys. I'll continue with this project on September.

10. yongkykun

UPDATE!!

After working on this project for a month and a half, I realized that this model can never be printed due to its details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The model is about 70-75% done. Been trying to find more and more reference photos for the back and armpit areas. Will update later on when the model is done. I'm so depressed right now.....

Attached Files:

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow.... that's incredible. Nice work man, to bad you won't be able to print it though. Were you going for a statue/figure of Prime, or was it to be a transformable figure?

12. yongkykun

thanks. The original plan was to make a figure (non-transformable). But now it's just a 3d model :( 

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, atleast its a nice 3D model :D , You could always make add on's for the leader prime. New fully articulated hands, a new head that has the antennae at full length as the head thats on the figure now has shorter antennae then the cgi. Make add on's over a figure. Sell those to anyone that would want it.

14. InFluenc3

InFluenc3 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  15. yongkykun

Gee thanks, OMEGAPRIME1983. That's a great idea. I'll probably do that. For now, I need to focus on getting the model done. Then I'll make a short subject with it. Then I'll try to get the head printed out and see if I can make a mould out of it.

And thanks InFluenc3 for the link.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no problem man, I tell you what man, if you can make accurately articulated hands, and I mean fully articulated at each knuckle and such, I'd be all over a set for sure. As well as a new head mold. Oh hells yea brother. Oh, and if you wanted to be really cool, you should make custom weaponry, like the gun from tftm, and the dual blasters he has in rotf in the warehouse. Maybe even throw in the possibility of making replacement hooks for the blades. Seeing how you have the capabilities of doing so, I would imagine you could make these come to a physical plane. Oh, and influenc3... that prime is freakin awesome!!!!! I stated it in your thread already, but I'm hockin your rectangular styrene filled with epoxy idea for something on my own prime custom down the line.

17. JakmanFirby

JakmanFirby The Jakman

News Credits:
    WAH!?!?!?!? Thers A 3D PRINTER!?!?!?!?! WTF AWESOME

18. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    The head looks a tad too big but that is one AWESOME 3d model, yongkykun. Sorry to hear about you not being able to print it but great work still. :thumb 

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    huh... wonder why this got moved to radicons over rad. GD... Interesting. oh well, atleast I know where to look for it now.

20. yongkykun

Thanks for the input. I'll put that into consideration.

Yup, it's called rapid prototyping.

It is? I'll reduce it then. I'm following the front/side profile picture of Optimus that came with the special edition DVD of Revenge of the Fallen. But yeah, when you look at it, it does look a tad too big. Thanks! :D 

Hey, I'd just realized that. Why is it moved? :?