2D Artwork: MW Thundercracker vs. Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Jackpot, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jackpot

Jackpot Neo-maxi zoom dweebie

"Thundercracker vs. Megatron: Rebels and Martyrs"

[​IMG]

I'd been contemplating doing a Machine Wars Thundercracker pic for a while, so when Josh Burcham told me about his MW project, I decided to make this a contribution to it. (I don't know what he's planning to do, story-wise; this picture is entirely my own flight of fancy.)

Thundercracker's Machine Wars bio describes him as a "rebel warrior" who "believes in the Decepticon cause, but remains rebellious among his own ranks." This has always intrigued me, since it's a progression from his original bio portrayal as "not totally convinced of the Decepticons' cause." The way I read it, he's found an ideology to follow, but at the cost of the loyalty that had been keeping him in check. So what sort of rebellion is this? Who else might be on his side? Well, Skywarp also got a Machine Wars toy, and comparing his bios yields an interesting result too: The original says he's "not too smart" and "would be useless without Megatron's supervision"; the MW one still says he has "low intelligence" but omits any mention of Megatron. Is this because he's been swept up in the rebellion? And why does his MW toy have a Generation 2 Decepticon symbol?

I say perhaps the G2 'Con symbol is the mark of Thundercracker's faction. Perhaps all the old characters who got new toys with that symbol are his army, and contrary to real-world chronology, MW is a precursor to G2. This picture is the moment of transition: The rebellion is at its peak, and before the standoff can turn into a slaughter, Skywarp brings it to an end by sacrificing himself to destroy Megatron. But Soundwave alone knows that it was Megatron's decoy, Megaplex, that Skywarp killed, and he surreptitiously keeps the real Megatron informed.

I have some other thoughts on related issues, like which universe this might be happening in, why Soundwave isn't in his MW form, why there are Megatron toys with the new symbol, etc. But that's enough rambling for now, I think.

Comments/crits?

- Jackpot

Attached Files:

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Wow, that's one heck of a story. Now that you've described, I can see what you're telling in the picture.

3. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

This is an awesome, awesome piece of art. The lighting is so very good.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Outstanding piece of work, Matt! As Ted said, the lighting's just spot-on, and there's so much in there to look out for! I was wondering about why Soundwave was still in his G1 form myself, but then noticed you'd already mentioned that. I'd love to see your explanation for that, perhaps in another painting? ;) 
    Are those Ramjet's arms at the top? I thought he was the light Conehead in the middle, but then noticed the Skyraider missiles at the top, so presumably he and Starscream have been upgraded already.

5. Jackpot

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely went heavy on the backstory with this one, but I hoped the core action and visual technique would stand on their own as well. I figure if it's appealing enough that people want to find out more about what's going on, then I've succeeded.

Thank you! I love working with chiaroscuro, and with so much going on, I knew I had to use those contrasts to strongly indicate what was important.

Thanks! In fact, I did answer that in another picture some... wow, ten years ago now. In my mind, MW Soundwave and Optimus are both younger, pre-Earth forms. I don't consider the whole MW cast to be necessarily coexistent; I think if there were a single MW storyline, it would have to involve flashbacks or time-travel.

Yep, good catch. At this point, I think all the G1 characters in the G2 cast have been repainted/rebuilt and are on Thundercracker's side (with the exception of Megatron, of course). (And also excepting the Go-Bot repaints-as-old-characters. Those don't exist in my world.)

- Jackpot

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm so glad to see you posting your work as well as making it again! I have to say that your work heavily influenced me when I first started into Transformers again - some ten years ago :) 

7. Jackpot

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I remember how slim the TF art pickin's were back then, and all I needed for motivation was a desire to show the world that TFs could look cool. These days, there's so much amazing work being done that it's harder to feel like I have something unique and worthwhile to see. That's one of the reasons I've been updating my style and techniques... trying to keep one step ahead...

Anyway, glad you dig it, and glad you still remember the olden days!

- Jackpot

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    WOOO! So happy to see you're still doing awesome MW style work!

D/L

9. capcomkai

capcomkai Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    perfect shading !!!!! I love it!!!