[MVD] Final: #1 Wreck-Gar vs #2 Motormaster

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 21, 2009.

?

[MVD] Final: #1 Wreck-Gar vs #2 Motormaster

Poll closed Sep 24, 2009.
  1. Wreck-Gar

53.2%
  2. Motormaster

46.8%
  1. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Well if you guys just spoke English we'd all get along better! :D  You and your big words :p 

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I understand you and dont agree.

To me an opinion is a reflection of a persons intellectual and emotional being, its the accumulation of their common sence and their personaloty as its developed all their lives.

Most likely.

Either way no hard feelings.

hehe

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Weird. I wouldn't think of an opinion as a crucial extension of someone's persona, though in some cases it can give insight into someone's personality.

However, while you might see an opinion that way, I don't. It's just a point of view, and something that shifts like the sand, based on where a person is in their lives and what they ate for breakfast that morning. :D 

You Americans and your opinions! ;) 

zmog

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

We do try.:thumbs2: 

5. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think the discussion here is straying from what could strictly be called opinions and straying into the realm of what I would say are beliefs.

I don't think reasonable people get terribly upset when their opinions differ. I think that well-balanced individuals would not be prone to dispute whether or not someone prefered Coke over Pepsi. I think where discussions get heated is when people have differing beliefs, which are not always as subjective and changable as our opinions. If Person A believes that the universe was created by a benevolent force that is present in all facets of existence from the movement of sub-atomic particles to the collision of entire galaxies, and Person B believes that all existence is goverened by rational laws that are divorced from emotion or even a guiding intelligence, it is not likely that the two may come to an agreement on the issue. And of course, since the two views seem contradictory, doesn't that mean that one of them must be wrong? And with such fundamental differences in the way they conceive of the world about them, aren't they bound to disagree sooner or later?

Let's say these two persons are friends. Surely you wouldn't want your friend to go on believing something that was wrong, would you? So you must convince the other person to give up their perspective and adopt yours, which you believe is not only superior but that the contrary belief may well be detrimental. Here's the rub: your friend thinks exactly the same about you! Oh, what a fabulously fruitless debate you might have. Person A might point out the beauty of the sunset as evidence of his belief, and Person B might point out the interaction of light and the atmosphere that create this perception without the benefit of any benevolent authority deigning it be so. Person B might that there is no evidence to support Person A's belief, and Person A might claim he saw evidence on a daily basis.

To make matters worse, it would seem nearly impossible for an agreement, as both parties are convinced of their view and neither is willing to alter it - indeed the idea of doing so is a bit painful to both. How then are they to reconcile? If they demand the same beliefs in all of their friends, they will part company. And that might be a shame, for there might be other qualities in A and B that would make their continued friendship mutually beneficial. The question, then, becomes one of value - Do you value consistency of belief on this issue more than you value the company of A (or B)? Or is it possible for a friend of yours to still be a friend even though they see the world through different eyes?

I don't know if any of that is of any value to your discussion, but I thought your discussion was interesting and wanted to posit my own two cents.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

In this case, my belief/opinion was that the original G1 Profiles by Budiansky should be given a higher level of canonical deference and precedence than subsequent (and derivative) sources such as the Dreamwave MTMTE.

Sto would appear to give them equal value, or perhaps even grant more recent sources greater value, based on the corrective power of "retcon".

Whether it's a belief or an opinion or whatever, I still think I'm right. :lol 

zmog

7. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    You guys are both wrong. I'm right.

8. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    NO! He's right...but I agree with her...

9. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    You leave her out of this!!

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Very insightful.

I believe they should be given equal value.

:thumbs2: