[MVD-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Wreck-Gar vs #4 Sandstorm

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 8, 2009.

?

[MVD-3] Semifinal #2: #1 Wreck-Gar vs #4 Sandstorm

Poll closed Sep 10, 2009.
  1. Wreck-Gar

60.5%
  2. Sandstorm

39.5%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Monument Valley Desert Contests: Semifinal

Semifinal #2: #1 Seed Wreck-Gar vs #4 Seed Sandstorm

Voting ends at 11:59 pm(CT), September 9th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/bosskdawg/tourny-2.jpg

Tournament History

How they got here:
    Wreck-Gar defeated: Windcharger & Swindle/Afterburner (Triple-Threat)

Sandstorm defeated: Skids & Air Raid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WRECK-GAR

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    SUB-GROUP: JUNKION
    FUNCTION: JUNKION LEADER

"Collect and save, collect and save."

Profile: Wreck-Gar is the leader of the Junkions, and like his people, is a creature comprised of rusted scraps, dented odds and ends, chassis bits, and manifold parts - a walking, very powerful and all but indestructible Junkbot, i.e., a robot of junk. When he is hit by laser blasts and falls apart, he reassembles himself out of the junky remains of his body and available junk heaps that constitute the structure of his planetoid, and keeps right on coming. And his speech and attitudes are also a junkyard-like collection of languages and broadcast fragments overheard from all over the universe - scraps of T.V. commercials, soap opera dialogue, old song lyrics and valentine inscriptions merged with quotations from history given out of context. As Wreck-Gar might say, "Holy Mackeral, Mrs. Olson, your mountain-grown easy-listening sidekick, kimosabe, wishes you have a nice industrial-strength day. Film at eleven or not."

Abilities: Wreck-Gar can transform into motorcycle mode and back to robot mode continuously in battle, so that his "ruins" become his transformed mode and back again any time he takes a direct hit. In robot mode, he carries an armor axe and a decelerator laser that inhibits an enemy robot's flow of cerebral impulses. Speed: 160 mph. Range: 100 miles.

Weaknesses: Subject is sometimes too good-natured; he can be tricked by those trying to take advantage of his aid. He has an inability to focus for very long periods of time; this attention defecit disorder can probably be traced to his long exposure to television programming.

SANDSTORM

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: RECONNAISSANCE

"When the smoke clears, I've cleared out."

Profile: "Eat my dust" is Sandstorm's motto. He particularly enjoys quoting this as Decepticons are vainly pursuing him. Always willing to take the most death-defying risks, Sandstorm likes to get close enough to the enemy during his patrols so he can count the number of bolts in a Decepticon's armor plate. Only by being so daring, by getting his fuel pumping so strongly that he feels his internal circulatory hoses about to burst, does Sandstorm truly feel functional. He likes to live on the edge. Anything less than dangerous he finds boring, and when he's bored he's more likely to be in danger since his concentration lapses. Sandstorm fears only one thing: an end to the war. With no enemy to spy upon, he worries he will have no further useful purpose.

Abilities: In both helicopter and buggy modes, Sandstorm is adept at directing his rotor blades and exhaust at the ground to whip up blinding clouds of dust and sand. As a helicopter, he can go 200 mph and has a range of 800 miles. In buggy mode, his 4-wheel drive allows him to traverse the roughest terrains. He can reach a speed of 100 mph and has a range of 500 miles. In robot mode, he uses a sandblaster gun, which shoots a high-speed stream of glassy silicate particles that rapidly erodes anything it hits. A non-stop barrage of the particles aimed at a foot-thick concrete wall would create a five-foot-wide hole in less than two minutes.

Weaknesses: Although extremely maneuverable in helicopter mode, Sandstorm is also extremely fragile. Even a small explosion near his rotor assembly can cause him to crash. In buggy mode, he is often a victim of breakdowns in his wheel assembly due to dirt and sand getting into his axles, a result of his many off-road meanderings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Wreck-Gar:8 Sandstorm:7
    Intelligence:
    Wreck-Gar:7 Sandstorm:9
    Speed:
    Wreck-Gar:6 Sandstorm:6
    Firepower:
    Wreck-Gar:7 Sandstorm:6
    Skill:
    Wreck-Gar:7 Sandstorm:9
    Endurance:
    Wreck-Gar:10 Sandstorm:7
    Courage:
    Wreck-Gar:9 Sandstorm:10
    Wreck-Gar:7 Sandstorm:6

2. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    A Battle of the Wreckers and also one of very close tech specs I mean every category is within 1 or 2 basically.

I have to say I am leaning towards Sandstorm here especially given the environment. We will see though, I want to listen more this time before I vote!

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    im leaning towards Wreck-gar but i too want to wait for further debate

4. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wreck-Gar seems to be more cunning and durable than Sandstorm, so he gets my vote.

5. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I say Sandstorm due to the fact that he has home field advantage as well as an alt mode tha flies so he can be out of Wreck-Gar shooting range or his axe.

6. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

This is a toughie, but my gut says wreck-gar. Although this may be good turf for sandstorm, I think it might prove to be a double edged sword considering the mentioned weaknesses in his bio.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wreck Gar

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Woah. Close one here. Vote count stands as 5-5 as I type this.

Let's see...triple-changer versus someone who transforms a great deal during battle.

Desert environment with mesas ("Arrakis...Dune...desert planet."). Sandstorm is in his element, but Wreck-Gar is also built for rough terrain ("The Animal...the Animal...can anything stop, BUMBUM-BUMBUM, the Animal!"). Those tire spikes should help him move about here as easily as he does the scrap-piles of Junkion.

Sandstorm is smarter and more skilled by 2 each, and that definitely matters in this one. Wreck-Gar is stronger and has better firepower (both by only 1 each), he has that insane Junkion endurance, but with no access to scrap for repairs ("Where's the beef!?").

Like the last battle with Motormaster and Brawl (both of whom I don't care for), popularity doesn't help me because I really like both of these mechs.

Speed is refreshingly equivalent. A speed of 6 covers 160-200 mph. That is so reasonable. I'm surprised and pleased Budianski was so on top of that here.

This is also likely to be our most thrilling matchup since Whirl took down Topspin. Both warriors are skilled, incredibly brave daredevils with good processors in their cranial units.

Now here's one thing, Sandstorm's ability to create a cloud of sand and dust will definitely be good for obscuring his whereabouts, but it can't possibly slow the Junkion leader down. Wreck-Gar is from a world full of debris and garbage, a little dust isn't going to do any more than create a visual obstacle. There's no way it's going to impede his systems. ("Forecast for today, highs in the mid-80s, with strong winds from the Southeast. A Sandstorm advisory is in effect until 6:30pm, Mountain Standard Time. This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system, this is only a test. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.")

The biggest problem for Sandstorm is going to be that he's packing a 7 strength and a mere 6 firepower against a Junkion. I'm not sure Wreck-Gar would even much notice a 6 firepower, even without spare parts around. ("Don't you know who I am? I'm THE JUGGERNAUT, bitch!")

While Sandstorm is generally tough, if he takes a good hit in copter mode, he's going down. We have seen Wreck-Gar hurl his axe at Springer in the '86 movie, trying to bring him down, and Sandstorm is especially prone to breakage in that alt-mode. Slowing his foe down with his weapon is a likely tactic, considering Wreck-Gar, though scattered, is a highly competant fighter, though not so much as Sandstorm. ("Awww, the poor puddy-tat. He fall down go - BOOM!")

On the ground, this fight is going to tend to go the Junkion's way. The point differential is 4 in Sandstorm's favour (intelligence and skill), 5 in Wreck-Gar's (strength, firepower, and endurance). ("I must break you.")

If the skill difference were 3 or more, I could see that being the deciding factor (as I did with Brawl vs. Motormaster), but at 2, I can't see Sandstorm (who is noted to be somewhat prone to mechanical difficulty in the dust, ironically) taking down a foe who is this tough, who has a few other, slight advantages, and who is not notably outclassed in other areas.

I have to call Wreck-Gar, but this is a close one, and I actually feel sort of bad for Sandstorm, as he is a very, very worthy opponent. But he hasn't got the oomph to stop a Junkion like Wreck-Gar. He just can't dish it out hard enough, quickly enough.
    ("The winnah! And still cham-peen! Prettyboy Floyd! *Ahhhhhhhhhhh*")

- Coeloptera

9. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I'd actually take Wreckgar in this one, although I have no strong feeling either way. Sandstorm has a big advantage in being able to fly and kick up dust storms, but Wreckgar (at least from the animated movie) is indestructible. I think Sandstorm shuts down from too much grit kicked up into his own gears.

10. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    <claps> That was some awesome Wreck-Gar throughout. :bowdown: :rock 

I've got a slightly different view, but pretty much the same conclusion.

One of my first things is that in the last match that Sandstorm was in, I put forth that Sandstorm's function of reconnaissance means that not all of his Skill rating is combat-applicable. I dropped it down to a 7 equivalent without anybody seeing it as unreasonable.

Of course, if we do that, then Wreck-Gar should probably also take a small hit in his Skill rating. Unlike most of the other Leader-types, his leader function entails more than just leading a combat group. A proportional drop would put him closer to a 6 than a 5, I think. That makes them closer in Skill.

I'm thinking Wreck-Gar won't be throwing his axe at Sandstorm. It's really not as good when he's got a disc-shaped shield with spikes around the edge (here's digging into the really old stuff "When Captain America slings his mighty shield..."). I'm also thinking he won't do that until after he hits Sandstorm with his decelerator laser.

Speaking of the decelerator laser, how long does that effect last? That seems like it would be an insanely powerful weapon if it lasted longer than 10 seconds each time it hit (especially since there's only one bot left in the tournament that has a defense against it other than dodging). It's not like it would take Sandstorm out of the sky if he's hit with it in helicopter mode (slowing down the cerebral impulses wouldn't change the setting on the rotor's motor), but it does set it up for an easy take down (as I previously noted).

I am thinking that kicking up dust and sand will still be effective for Sandstorm. While Junkion does have alot of easily kicked-up debris, it doesn't seem to have much weather. I don't think Wreck-Gar would be used to such conditions and he would have his vision almost as easily obscured as any other TF. OTOH, keeping those extra senses from Streetwise's bio in mind, Wreck-Gar should know when Sandstorm is nearby without visual contact, and roughly where he's coming from.

The biggest thing standing in the way of Sandstorm's victory is his personality. He would take this if he just kicked up dust and sand to blind Wreck-Gar and followed that up by safely shooting from a distance. That would be boring, though, and he doesn't do boring. He's going to want to get up close.

That works great on lesser bots, but not so much for Wreck-Gar. When he gets up close he has to deal with shield and axe or some other combination involving Wreck-Gar's decelerator laser. A hit from the decelerator laser is Game Over for Sandstorm when the fight is up close, as it won't take Wreck-Gar very long to strip Sandstorm down while he's in that condition.

I'm leaning pretty far off the fence for Wreck-Gar here, but Sandstorm definitely has a strong home-field advantage. Other factors could sway me over. Does a 9 Intelligence somehow give Sandstorm enough self-control to overcome his personality? If it does, will he somehow be able to keep his concentration despite being bored? Losing concentration could quickly turn into a fatal error here.

Not a direct part of the fight, but does anyone else here think Wreck-Gar might appreciate the first blast from Sandstorm's sandblaster gun? After all, real sandblasters are used for blasting rust off of good metal ("Thanks for the shine, kid. Keep the change.").

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    okay I am siding with Wreck-gar for sure now

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong

12. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Leaning towards our resident Junkion at the moment.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ditto:drunk 

14. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

its a tough one it could go either way but i'm going with sandstorm

15. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

I gotta go with Wreckgar. If the 86 movie was anything to go by, then Wreckgar doesn't even need spare parts around, he can just put himself back together. With his superior strength and firepower Sandstorm is going down.

16. Omnus

News Credits:
    With my current schedule, I may not be around before the poll for this one closes, so I'm going to vote now.

I haven't seen anybody put up anything with some meat for Sandstorm (and I was expecting SMOG to have done so by now), so I'm putting my vote in for Wreck-Gar. It's a shame, Sandstorm is a good competitor (as was already stated) and I think he deserved a bit more fanfare here.

17. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    He's one of the transformers I'm least familiar with. Has he appeared in any of the cartoons/comics?

18. Omnus

News Credits:
    He appeared in a couple of episodes in Season 3 of the cartoon. Off the top of my head I recall the episode with Paradron, and an episode where he's helping Octane, who is on the run from his fellow Decepticons after "borrowing" Tryticon for his own purposes in a previous episode. Sandstorm was pretty much shown to be almost the opposite of his characterization in his profile here in those episodes, though.

In the comics, Furman wrote Sandstorm in as part of his self-created group, The Wreckers (which consisted of characters which were largely otherwise ignored, but are all still fairly powerful individuals). Sandstorm was brought into the Marvel version of The Wreckers after the non-toy-character (as in completely made up by Furman) members of the unit were wiped out. The Autobot triple-changers were brought in to replace them. Sandstorm is a part of the original team of Wreckers in Furman's IDW run. The problem here is that while he is a part of the Wreckers, which are supposed to be an elite group, there is very little of him seen in action, as other Wreckers have more dominant appearances for various reasons.

Sandstorm's most decent portrayal as a competent combatant has really been his profile and the debates in his prior matches in this tournament, at least as far as I can recall.

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

An episode best known for 2 things:

One of, if not the best Ultra Magnus quotes ever:
    "I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy.... All right, give me the bomb."

And Rodimus being an utter dick about Sandstorm's homeworld being destroyed.

SS: "It's as beautiful in death as it was in life."
    RP: "Well, no need to get all mushy. Cybertron's a better place anyway—not so...perfect."

Screw you, Roddy.

- Coeloptera

20. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    This is interesting. Two pretty equal combatants, especially when you take a few things into account.

1) Wreck Gar's firepower is higher, but Sandstorm has a more direct weapon in his Sandblaster gun.

2) Sandstorms skill is higher, but he's not a direct combatant like Wreck Gar is.

3) Wreck Gar's endurance is off the scale, but without a lot of spare parts laying around this power will suffer.

These guys are suddenly really even to me. Sandstorm seems to have more options avaliable to him with the extra mode and a long range weapon. Plus, even though his functio is reconnaissance, his bio points out how much he likes to engage the enemy. His courage seems to back that up (I always wonder though, if a 10 courage could be considered a liability?)

Wreck Gar seems almost like a berserker. Charging in and out of battle, changing modes constantly, and swinging and slinging his sheild and axe. I'm just not convinced he be able to bring his skills fully to bear against an opponent whose main function is to evade and who has 3 modes to choose from when doing so. Not to mention the dust cloud thing.

Wreck Gars only real chance is to hit Sandstorm with his decelerator while he's on the ground and move in quickly with a follow up attack. Sandstorms smart play is to immediately start whiping up a dust cloud to avoid the decelerator them pick his moments to attack with the sandblaster or drop on Wreck Gar from above.

I think Sandstorm has what it take to win this fight, and I think the tactics he'd need to employ are pretty close to what he's made to do. I'm giving this one to Sandstorm. And I'm pretty surprised he's made it this far.