"Must have"/"worth getting" transformer toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TacticalSamurai, Aug 1, 2009.

1. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

Just a thought, but to the heavy collectors out there what are the most "must have"/"worth getting" Transformer toys in all the series so far?

I want to expand on my collection, but only the toys that are worth the money. Currently I am collecting most of the ROTF series (I have most or all of them), Beast Wars Japan, RID, and Henkei, but I want to filter out the ones that are bad in the other series that I don't have yet like the G1, Encore, MP, Alternators, Binaltech, and etc..

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    From RotF I say Mixmaster, the Fallen, Starscream, Ransack, and from what I've seen of him (don't own it yet) Leader Prime are the must haves.

Scourge from RiD always struck me as that line's must have figure (I just think he looks awesome).

Not sure on the Japanese Beast Wars lion, but Lio and Big Convoy are supposed to be really good figures.

Henkei/Classics/Universe I've heard good about the seeker and Jetfire molds, Cyclonus is a must have, Prime I've heard good about, Megatron is nice as well, and Inferno is probably my favorite of them all.

Outside of those lines, Animated has some AWESOME figures, especially the likes of Shockwave, Blurr, Grimlock, Ultra Magnus, Oil Slick, Jetfire and Jetstorm, hell most of the line is just AWESOME.

For more collector aimed lines, Masterpiece Megatron is my personal favorite figure ever, really worth getting. Though I don't own it, Masterpiece Convoy is supposed to be incredible (well, robot mode at least). Grimlock looks aces too.

3. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

buster prime when he comes out.

4. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

second on universe cyclonus. epic figure.

rotf- ice cream truck twins

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ROTF Prime ans Sideways are pretty darn cool.

6. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Must Have (RotF):
    Leader Prime
    Leader Jetfire (both because he's a cool looking toy and for Jetpower Prime)
    Leader Megatron (looks MUCH better in person)
    Sideswipe
    Ravage
    Long Haul

Should have:
    The Fallen
    Starscream (but only if you're impatient/don't want to wait until the Leader class version comes out/aren't buying the Leader class version)
    Rampage
    Sideways
    Breakaway

And only after they release all three bikes:
    Chromia/Arcee/Flareup

7. TacticalSamurai

Scourge from RID is one I don't have yet... Cyclonus, Infreno, Prime, are probably something I might have to look for, but I was never to fond of the animated series...probably because I like my TFs to look somewhat realistic and not deformed, but not as an insult, just my preference.

In the MP series I heard Megatron had too much trouble with parts breaking? That what made me think twice. Grimlock is ace indeed, I hope to get him later!

8. HighBeam

HighBeam Maximal Command Security

You NEED Rotf Prime or wait for buster prime when he comes out, RID Galvatron is the only RID figure just because I like the 10 Modes gimmick even though only 3 of the modes look decent(robot mode the best one),Henkei/Classics Prime and Jetfire are two of the best molds in the line you need to get too, good luck :) 

9. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    If you can find him, Binaltech/Alternators Smokescreen is one of my favorite ever TFs. He is the first of the line, and IMO, the best of the lot. He just has that classic Transformers look. Alternators Shockwave is also pretty special.

I've parted ways with most of my beast wars figures, but the ones I've kept are Optimal Optimus, Transmetals Tarantulas, and Fuzors Silverbolt. Very show accurate, and good quality to boot.

Beast Machines....hmmm....there were a lot of oddballs in this line. The ones that stick in my mind are Deluxe Jetstorm and (Mega?) Tankor. Neither of them are particularly show accurate, but they are awesome figures nonetheless. Jetstorms aesthetic in particular fits in with pretty much any modern TF line.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    RID, I'd go with Ultra Magnus.
    Animated, Hell, the whole toy line is good.
    Universe-Dropshot/

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Still the one I want most from that line.

I still need to pick up the Prime mold myself. But yeah, the other two are just fantastic.

Understandable, much like movieverse stuff, its not everyone's cup of tea. I think things more like the Classic designs are one of the only aesthetic choices most people agree on, lol.

I think the issues with Megatron are a bit exaggerated. While it is possible to break him if you're not careful (true for any figure though really), it's not as bad as people make it out to be, just need to know what you're doing when transforming him and not try and force things. His transformation is just really exact and precise with what you need to do.

12. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1- Soundwave
    Beast Wars - Original Primal and Megatron
    Beast Machines - none.
    RiD - Prime or Scourge
    Armada - Unicron...just cuz.
    Energon - ....meh I dunno
    Cybertron - Prime...because it's a really grand looking toy, and no other reason than that.
    Movie 07 - Leader Brawl, Voyager Ratchet, Deluxe Bonecrusher
    Animated - Leader Magnus, Voyager Shockwave, Deluxe Ratchet
    ROTF - Leader Prime, Voyager Fallen, Deluxe Sideways...or Mudflap.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

Definitely get RiD Optimus Prime, he is awesome.

14. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    You can't go wrong with any on the Masterpieces; Convoy, Skywarp and Grimlock are the three best so far, for me.

But of course, it depends whether you're looking to buy by character, rarity, or some other value - i.e. do you prefer Takara's MP-3 "realistic" Starscream, or Hasbro's cartoon-colours version of it, which is then a trade-off as it has less pointy wingtips etc.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Prime
    ROTF Leader Prime
    Cybertron Prime
    Alternity figures
    Animated Megatron

just to name a few.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cybertron - ex02 sonic convoy if you got the $
    prime is a great figure, and sonic bomber is a great addon that doesnt hinder any poseability at all, and the ex02 version of sonic bomber has red chrome to match prime
    plus galaxy convoy is translucent, and looks great

animated
    out of all the figures, leader megs is great, great g1 megs homage, but his transformation is really simple

energon
    galvatron, that is the klassics galvatron imo, great mold, poseable, and looks intimidating

armada
    uh...bendy prime to be honest, armada was kind of a dud

rotf
    buster prime, but get the regular hasbro one to headswap

movie 1
    wreckage is a great figure

misc
    music label soundwave, animated lockdown [post hand mod] and human alliance bb are all nice figs too

17. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

First of all, I'd say a combiner is a must have, just to have one in your collection. To expand on that, G1 Devastator, possibly the best combiner ever, even the knock off ones are excellent!

Everyone should have a Masterpiece Prime, regardless of what lines you collect, he is, IMO the best.transformer.ever. If his gun could stow away in his back, he'd be perfect.

If you're ever going to pick up any Alternators/Binaltechs, I'd say Tracks is just pure win and really shows the lines for what they are, great car modes, great robots modes and bag-loads of updated G1ness.

I'll just add to the cries of "Cyclonus!!!" I think he's the best of the Universe line so far.

And for Animated, Blurr is awesome, probably my favourite animated toy yet (Rodimus may change that, I hope he does).

18. TacticalSamurai

What sucks for me is I bought only parts of Devastator and Bruticus long time ago, I ended up forgetting to buy the remaining figures to have them combine...I'm thinking of getting the Encore Bruticus, but I know the mold isnt as great. Tracks, Cyclonus, I have to go find/order them then, I'm sold on them.

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

THIS. I just received Car Robots Black Convoy (RID Scourge) and it KICKS ASS!! Totally worth getting for $40 he's going for on ebay. Some pics here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ts-black-convoy-question-two.html#post3947950

Apart from the figures mentioned in the above post, I recommend Starscream and BB from BW Neo. A recolor of the G2 stealth bomber/fighter duo Dreadwing and Smokescreen. Like RID Scourge, these two are a MUST HAVE!

THIS!

I can vouch for Oil Slick, Jazz and Ratchet. Great figures from the animated toyline.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Wars Transmetal Megatron.

Get the Takara Version however, the Hasbro version breaks at the waist.

oh and G1 Optimus Prime:thumbs2: