Music on Xbox

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigertrack, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Okay, we all know by now I got the new 250GB Xbox 360 Slim for Christmas. I just started setting it up today and wanted to rip some music into it from my Itunes library.
    First off, you can plug in your Ipod via USB and the Xbox will recognize your Ipod and the music you have in it. Cool. Except for one thing. Music that you have purchased from Itunes will NOT play via Xbox. :( 
    So, I remembered earlier you kind people told me that I would need to rip my music from my CD collection onto my Xbox. Long and tidies job but I suppose I can do that. So, I thought I would rip my "purchased" music onto some CD's and tried to play them on the Xbox that way. That didn't work either. When I popped the CD in the Xbox, it showed the songs, their titles, and what not. But it wouldn't play them.
    I first tried burning the CD via using Itunes MP3 burn, then Audio burn options. Both options didn't work.
    Question is, will it work if I use the correct CD to burn the music onto? Or is it not working because of the copy-written crap on there? If so, then how can I rip my CD collection onto the Xbox?

The CD's I was trying to burn the library onto is called a DVD-R. Could this be part of my issue? What CD do I need to burn the music onto? Will this cure my problem, or am I stuck NOT being allowed to listen to my Itunes-purchased music?

I have not yet tried to rip a normal musical CD onto the Xbox. Will do that later tonight. If that works, then it look's like I've got a long process ahead of me. Still, I'd love to be able to have my Itunes music on there. I've got well over 100-200 songs purchased from Itunes that I would like to play on the Xbox.

Last question. Once you have music on the Xbox, can you play that music while playing your games instead of listening to the soundtrack that is already on the games?

Oh and finally, on the Xbox Live thing, I am known as Tigertrack74.

2. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    1. If the music is encrypted or protected or whatever you want to call it, you should be able to download an update to allow you to play it.

2. Yes, the music on your iPod will replace the BGM, unless you're in a cinematic sequence in a game.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Most definitely. You might want to try an actual CD.

Depends on the game. You should be able to play it during the game, yes, but whether you can play it instead of the soundtrack depends on if you can turn off the soundtrack or not. Most games have this option, so I wouldn't worry too much.

4. Tigertrack

I think I'll head out to Best Buy with my giftcard and see if I can even find a normal recordable audio-CD. Hopefully that'll allow me to do what I want to do.
    All I really want to put in my Xbox are my playlists from Itunes. I have a ton of purchased songs, and ripped songs. It seems it's not liking the purchased ones even though it's quite happy ripping songs off a normal CD.

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I'd just either share my Zune library with my xBox over the local network or share my Music folder for the xBox to be able to stream from, but that's just my preference.

6. Tigertrack

That's a nice option if you all share the same taste in music.

7. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

get some "cd-rw" discs so you can use them over and over again.

8. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    All? All who? It's just me. :D 

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You definitely need CD-R discs as opposed to DVD-R. You can use DVD-R to burn audio discs, but they are usually for use in a DVD player. Your best bet is to use an external portable hdd, add your music (ripped in MP3 format), and go from there.

10. Tigertrack

Well, I am half way there I suppose. I went to Best Buy today to use up some of my BB gift-card and I picked up Star Wars game, Xbox Live Gold Membership card, and a 5-pack of CD-R discs.
    Good news is, the CD-R discs worked. I was able to burn my Itunes "purchased" music playlists onto the CD-R disc. Then I was able to rip the CD-R music onto my Xbox.
    However, here's the bad news. Well not really bad news but...................
    The CD-R's do not hold anywhere near the amount of songs that a DVD-R does. And, some reason the song titles don't show up. Which is really weird since they did with the DVD-R discs!
    So, yes I can burn and rip my Itunes music. But, I'm missing all the songs and artists information. Fortunately, I can edit all that within the Xbox, but man what a chore it is to do all that work.
    I wonder if I can find a CD-R that has a much larger capacity. The ones I purchased were 700MB which is only 80minutes worth of music. Most of my playlists are an hour and a half and requires two of these discs. When you do it that way, the Xbox won't merge one playlist into another like Itunes can.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is there a larger capacity for CD-R discs that will allow up to 2-hours of music? I don't think I have any playlists longer than 2-hours. If I can find that, that at least solves half the problem. But, I still don't know why I'm missing the song titles and artist information.

When I burn the disc, Itunes gives me an option of including text, and I have that selected. But some reason, it's not putting it on the CD-R.

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Like I said, it's much easier to share your PC music folder over the network for your xBox to see and stream from. Coping music to the hard drive is a pain to work with, as you've seen.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I had a 360, I'd just remote network all my Music onto the system. Why don't you just do that? Their are programs out there that will enable the 360 to communicate with your Mac:2c: .

13. Tigertrack

Okay, I found a nice little piece of software that allowed me to connect my Imac to my Xbox. With that, I am now able to stream all my music and most of my videos from Itunes.
    Except, here's a small issue. My purchased "movies" won't play, and my photo's can't be found.
    I know where my photos are on my computer, no problem there. It's just that the program can not seem to locate the photos and is asking about Iphoto. I've gone through everything I could think of in Iphoto and had it share contents. But, it's still not sharing photos to the Xbox.
    The Xbox is only seeing my music, ALL of it. I can play ALL of my music. It shows ALL of my videos, but only plays the videos I've ripped myselfe, but won't play the movies I've purchased from Itunes.
    Any suggestions?
    The product I'm using is called Connect360 from 2005 version 3.43. Should I try a different program or is this one pretty good and I should stick with it?
    It does my music just fine so I'm happy there. It does half of my movies, but I've got 81 movies I'd like to have access to. And, no photos.
    Suggestions please..............thank you!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  14. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Like I've heard, any Itunes purchased movie is automatically not compatible.

BB28

15. Tigertrack

So I've noticed, and kind of sucks. Oh well tis is life. At least I've got my music on there and I've got an awesome gamer! :) 

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could format them into 360 compatible files but it takes a lot of time and isn't worth it. Hopefully you can find a good mix of what you want but if your looking for 100% compatibility, your never going to find it.