Music Label Soundwave, Rumble and Frenzy Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by BraveMax, Jul 19, 2007.

1. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    No pictures yet... Maybe I'll take some later and start a thread. I figured you guys'd rather have info, though. If you want pics of anything, LMK. I've put MP3 functionality in with Alt mode, even though it works in both modes.

Overall: This isn't even going to replace anyone's iPod Shuffle... Practically non-existent interface, no options, minimal storage and battery life... I hate to say it, but only Transformers fans could be roped into buying this guy.

Box includes:
    -Soundwave
    -"Electric Launcher" - Shoulder weapon
    -"Wave Bluster" - Rifle
    -Headphones (Ear-Bud style)
    -4 extra fists (Right and Left Rifle-Grips, and Right and Left "touch-my-own-eject-button"s)
    -Tech Spec Card

Specifications:
    -Can only play MP3 files
    -Can only use MiniSD Cards up to 1 GB
    -Audio Range: 60Hz ~ 16Hz
    -Bitrate: MP3: 128 kbps
    -Output: 2mW
    -Battery: Says something about a type 4 Alkali Battery, but the slot fits AAA Batteries.
    -Assuming the use of the above-mentioned Alkali Battery, the player will supposedly play for 6 hours.

Alt Mode/MP3-Player Features:

If I'm recalling Titanium Soundwave's size correctly, ML Soundy is maybe a little thicker. The transformation is essentially the same, right down to how his fists store. The major differences are the following:
    A) ML's alt mode feels and looks more solid - like an MP3 player that resembles Soundwave's alt mode rather than a mishmosh of parts that resemble an MP3 player.
    B) No place to store the extra fists or the weapons.
    C) 5 buttons on the front instead of three.
    D) ML Soundy is also, of course, lighter.

The headphone jack is located on his right shoulder, and it's the jack you use to plug in his Electric Launcher in Robot Mode.

If you press the eject button the cassette door opens, revealing a MiniSD slot. Somebody goofed and left a bunch of green circuit board exposed, but otherwise it's tasteful and well-done. Standard "push once to lock, push again to eject" functionality on the SD card.

After inserting an SD card, you press the "play/pause" button for "2 seconds" to turn the MP3 player on. Once it's on, a blue LED will start flashing in the upper left-hand corner of the tape deck door. This light flashes slowly while music is playing and a little faster when paused. It's actually a little distracting.

The playing, BTW, seems to waffle between "repeat" (IE, once the end of the playlist is reached the whole thing repeats) and "once through".

Strangely, the tape deck door doesn't need to be closed for the player to work. Be careful not to blind yourself with the LED :p 

That, unfortunately, is about it for the Alt. Mode. The MP3 Player can skip forward and back, but can't fast forward or rewind. You can adjust the volume up and down, and it can get decently loud. Sound output seems pretty good - but that depends on the headphones I imagine...

Robot Mode Transformation:
    - Slide back panel on top of player and head spring-launches into place. It doesn't stay up as well as I'd like...
    -Fold fists out from the bottom, unlock the wrists from the back and swing them out to the side.
    -Slide shins out to side and rotate them back and down. Fold down toes and heels.
    -Slide shoulders up and forward into final place.
    -Attach shoulder cannon.

And you're done. I just did that while listening to music with no problems :p 

Robot mode:

Articulated at the:
    -Shoulders (Forward, back, side to side)
    -Elbows (Rotational, forward and back until you hit straight position.)
    -Wrists (Rotational, in towards body)
    -Hips (Forward, back, side to side)
    -Knees (Back and forward to straight)
    -Toes/Heels (Each can fold up towards leg)
    -Head (Raised ball joint. All directions)

Aside from some random "machiney" patterning, he's more or less bereft of detail. Still - doesn't look half back. Very simple and elegant. I just wish his head wasn't bobbly....

Fists suffer from Titanium Soundwave's problem - look like someone duct-taped a board onto the backs of their hands. Main body is a little think compared to the rest, but that's to be expected.

Over-all, not THAT impressive. Should have been a big basic or a small deluxe. I guess the electronics cost a lot?

2. BraveMax

News Credits:
    Rumble/Frenzy:

Earphone Mode:
    A little bulky, and definitely a bit heavy for everyday use. I'm getting used to them since I've been used to them all afternoon, but they're pulling on my ears. It's not that they're really uncomfortable, they're just too heavy.

The style is popular here in Japan, so the bulk isn't as much of an issue... But the white color... That's a problem. They're just boring... And they stand out too much in contrast to EVERYTHING. Only redeeming features are the little silver Decepticon Sigils on both. Those look inconspicuous and give at least SOME contrast. I doubt very much that I'll be using these for everyday listening.

Sound quality is better than my iPod Earbuds, but I doubt it'd be considered "spectacular" or even "great" by audiophiles.

The retractable cord is pretty cool and is plenty long to reach even my waist comfortably (I'm 6'4" tall). Sadly, the housing for the cord is BIG and is kind of awkward. The earphones are designed to wrap around behind your head rather than each being attached to from the front. I don't remember seeing that style much in the US, so it may take some getting used to for those of you who're used to the style used by iPod earphones.

Transformation:
    -Swivel heads around.
    -Pull legs down, gently tug at the feet until the legs lock into the "extended" position.
    -Swivel out heels
    -Swivel down arms, then rotate them into the proper positions.

Robot Mode:
    Not too bad. A little simplistic for the price, but they feel like Rumble and Frenzy (This release follows FIBRIR, BTW). Decent amount of color, could use some more detail... But overall, not bad.

Articulation:
    -Head (Can swivel down as part of the TF - effectively allows them to look down a little)
    -Shoulders (Side-to-side)
    -Arms (Forward, back to straight, rotational)
    -Hips (Forward, back, side-to-side)
    -Knees (Back, forward to straight, rotational)

Not too shabby.

3. BraveMax

News Credits:
    BTW - the inside flap of each box has mottos.

Soundwave: "Cries and screams are music to my ears."
    Rumble: "Destroy what's below and what's above will follow."
    Frenzy: "Sow panic and surrender will bloom."

4. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome review! can't wait to get mine!

so he can't play anything other then MP3's? not even WMA?

5. BraveMax

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it specifically says it can't play WMA. Then again, my Japanese isn't perfect - especially when it comes to Kanji - so I could be wrong.

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I will happily test the compatibilities with the files as soon as my shipment arrives and I nab a card for them.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Cool... Not sure if I'm getting one though... How many mp3 can you fit total?

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    the memory is an external SD card. Whatever capacity you plunk into SW is what you'll get.

Some devices can only handle an "X" sized card though. Without reading the instructions, I'm not sure what the card size limit is.

9. BraveMax

News Credits:
    Lol.

As I mentioned up there, the card size limit is 1GB. It's actually clearly written on the box.

10. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, as he pointed out, it was already confirmed by BraveMax earlier that the card size is limited to 1GB or less, E3.

Incidentally, a 1GB card should hold 200-250 songs.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    More than enough for me then... I might give it a shot...

12. BraveMax

News Credits:
    I suppose I should have posted this in Feedback... It just kinda rolled off another thread and I didn't think about it... If a mod wants to move it...?

13. BraveMax

News Credits:
    I've never been able to use up a gig on Shuffles and things without displays... I get tired of songs after a bit, so I just keep a rotating selection in the player. 1 GB is just about perfect.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

So basically he needs 4 AAA batteries for a 6 hour play through, can select the songs and isn't random(I hate shuffle), can fit about 200 MP3s on one card, has ok sound quality and is ubar posebile in bot mode?

....I think I'm gonna get this guy after all.

15. BraveMax

News Credits:
    No - he needs ONE AAA battery for 6 hours of playback, assuming that's right. Don't forget, though, that he's made for Japanese current, which *may* cause problems when used with US batteries, and that you need to buy a MiniSD to pretty much exclusively use with him.

Shuffles are awesome, man. I dunno what you're talking about :p 

You can choose either playlist or shuffle with them :p 

16. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Hmmm.

What's the voltage/current on these batteries?

I can compare to Wikipedia's stats - though it looks like all AAAs are the same from a glance at their info.

And what are his dimensions in MP3 player mode?

17. BraveMax

News Credits:
    8.5 x 3 x 5.5 cm approximately.

The battery I'm using now is LRO3/1.5V. It's a Fujitsu Alkaline.

18. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    So there is no internal speaker right? Only way to listen is to plug in the headphones. So if I choose to listen during robot mode, he wouldn't be able to have his shoulder cannon on no?

19. BraveMax

News Credits:
    Yep.

20. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I think the first mp3 I would put on the card would be a sound clip of Soundwave saying "Ravage, Lazerbeak, ejection!".