Music Label Soundwave : Is he worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Apr 29, 2012.

1. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Merged since we were discussing this guy very recently. Have a look -- lots of good opinions on the figure.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine yesterday. He's pretty good. I wish the panel his head is on was less wobbly though. And the knees could be tighter.

3. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    As a stand alone homage to his G1 self, yes. As a SD Micro card music player. NO.

4. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean MiniSD card. While my new ML Soundwave can play them, I'm having trouble finding a working USB adapter. It seems MiniSD cards are out of fashion. :( 

5. Thunderjet

Thunderjet Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting one for my classics collection, but I was wondering if the "sonic white" one is any good, as the "spark blue" one is too expensive and I'm not really fond of either "sonic white" or "blaster black".

6. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

there is a reason the blue is the most expensive... :)  seeing those pe birds in this thread makes me want to add those again. i thought i had gotten over that idea.

7. Thunderjet

please more info, you couldn't be more vague.

EDIT: never mind, I found it in the Third Party news section.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    oops yup MiniSD card. :eek:  They are already phased out if not mistaken, thus making ML Soundwave irrelevant

9. Thunderjet

Yeah I Know that's because of G1 colors. I'm really willing to give "sonic white" a chance. I just want to know: is it any good?(as in is the toy good enough to overlook the extremely bland color choice) Or is "blaster black" better to get?

10. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    If blue is out of the question, I'd go for Soundblaster black (and actually, that IS the only version I own). At least Soundblaster's colors refer to an actual character, whereas the white version is just a nod to the original iPod.

11. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But the sonic white version was later re-purposed for Shattered Glass Soundwave. Spend another $50 on a green headband and you'll be all set. :) 

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a white ML Sound wave, and used to use it as an MP3 player, and it was atrocious. Horrific interface, even with fastidiously micromanaging folder setups and the sound was very 'hissy' and generally not that great.

The best advantage? It used standard batteries so you theoretically have infinite listening time, the disadvantage? You needed a screwdriver to change the batteries.

13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    This guy is totally worth owning, but I'm surprised the fanbase haven't taken to calling this Music Repro Label Soundwave, because the first thing most of us do upon owning him is order the awesome repro label set which really gives him that G1 pop.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The nice thing about SG Soundwave's original incarnation using the ML Sonic White version is that he NEVER wore the headband, so you don't even need to shell out for the stupid thing :D 

15. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't buy him to use him as a player.
    It's a cool gimmick though.
    Personally, I'm using G1 Soundwave in my classics display.
    Mostly because of the cassettes.
    ML is more in scale with the classics seekers.
    G1 towers over them and is roughly the same height as voyager Megatron.

16. jscott991

jscott991 Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this old discussion, but I'm thinking of picking ML Soundwave up for my new classics collection (mostly Seekers, Autobot cars, and Prime, with a Hegemon preordered).

Is he still the best option for a Classics Soundwave? He's not cheap, but Soundwave is my favorite Decepticon and my Masterpiece simply won't display with the rest of my Transformers.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    To me, he's what MP Soundwave should have been, only at a smaller scale (at least in alt mode - bot mode could have been adjusted to look more G1-ish and accomodate tapes instead of the MP3 gimmick.

18. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

The best option I had for a Classics Soundwave prior to getting ML Soundwave was WFC Soundewave... FOC was too big and didn't feel like Soundwave (but the mold was great for Blaster, until I got Unique Toys version.)

If you also get UT Blaster, he'll be slightly taller than ML Soundwave, which sort of emulates the G1 Toy height ratio (but not as drastic.)

Definitely didn't regret adding him to the collection. Got him at a decent aftermarket price, which wasn't too far off from retail.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, I can where you going especially picking up Hegemon. I almost picked him up but I wanted a bigger size version so I ended up using the FOC Soundwave.

I know he transforms into an alien vehicle but I felt that he decently sized in the 'large size'.

Another advantage was that we had the FOC Blaster which is similar in height -I can have both 'music rivals', squaring off against each other, eye-to-eye.

The height discrepancy between G1 Blaster and G1 Soundwave always bothered me as a kid...

20. jscott991

jscott991 Well-Known Member

The WFC and FOC Soundwave have just terrible shoulders. I can't get past that. I don't really care about the alt mode (he will be in bot form all the time).

I doubt Hasbro ever releases a true Classics G1 Soundwave, so that leaves me trying to fill the gap. Maybe 3rd parties will eventually do it, but they will cost as much as Music Label costs now and might not even look as good.

I'm just not sure what good options there are for classics collectors who want Soundwave in their displays.