Music Label Soundwave : Is he worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since I don't care much for the WFC/FOC aesthetic that Hasbro announced they'll be focusing on at Botcon, I thought about turning towards Music Label Soundwave to fit the Classics role. Is he worth the trouble, or is the MP3 function merely an expensive gimmick? What would be a fair price for him?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I own him, and personally can't stand him. Too small, no minion gimmick besides the (imo) lame frumble headset, and the aesthetic of him just looks off. It wasn't expensive, but still a regrettable purchase for me.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Been looking into this dude, myself. My MP3 player kicked the bucket on me recently, and I thought of using him as a novelty substitute - an MP3 player that just happens to be a TF, as well. Does he work alright in that regard?

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    He's my Classics Soundwave, works really well in that respect, especially with the Reprolabels upgrade set applied!

5. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Music Label Soundwave is definitely worth it because it can play MP3

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Worth every penny if you ask me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Worth every penny. Tiny bit bigger than deluxe Seekers, smaller than Megatron voyager. I've never bothered with the mp3 function, capacity is too tiny. Doubt there will ever be a better Soundwave at this size.

8. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

I got the White and Blue versions. My only gripe is that the spring for his head doesn't push his noggin' all the way up. Otherwise, he's a solid addition to the G1 cast. G1 cassettes fitting in his chest would have been awesome, but it's a minor loss.

9. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's a great Classics substitute.

Others should chime in, especially if they recognize from my description if I'm doing it wrong:

-he takes miniSD cards. Not microSD, mini. Which aren't as easily available. And (my experience) he won't take microSDs in a miniSD adapter.

-Only 1 gig cards will work, though others say that some 2 gig cards work, those are again a little harder to come by to experiment with.

-He won't take anything that was ripped from iTunes. Even if it the file is mp3 instead of m4a or whatever.

-he won't take anything with a long file name. You'll have to rename each file. I think under 12 characters prior to .mp3, but I'm not sure.

-I guess that the music is supposed to work in some sort of order, but no matter how I've named the files so that it looks like it's in order, the songs won't play in order (and no, it's not on shuffle, it basically has this order of slightly-out-of-order songs each time). I even put them in their own album files in hopes that he chooses the whole album to play and then move on to the next one, but no, that didn't work either.

EDIT: I went back and tried the folder-per-album thing again. It DID work better. Only a few albums ("only a few, he says") were out of order, and songs from other bands were not mixed in as described above. So, yay.

-the commands are "play, pause, back, forward" and volume control. No shuffle. No idea what's coming next. So if I want to listen to Nirvana, it's dead last, I have to keep hitting the forward button dozens of times...

-the sound is weird. Super bass-y. Not terrible but there's definitely a low end dominance coming through the headphone jack.

Doesn't that all sound like a major pain in the ass?

I described this hassle to a friend who saw mine. He agreed: who cares! It's a soundwave that plays music!!!! I've hoped for this since I was 8.

Apple, Microsoft, whoever, and Hasbro are foolish not to refine and market this in America.

-paul#3

10. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

He's not a voyager but he's okay for now in regards to my classics display. As a stand alone Soundwave and as an SW fan, he's awesome. A must have. I love the gimmick. Flawlessly executed.

11. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I really like him, with the only downside being that he costs more than he should due to the worthless electronics. Really cool update on the character, and the de facto classics Soundwave in my book.

Don't even bother. I haven't tried myself, but I've heard from numerous people that the MP3 functionality is worthless. There's no way to browse your music at all, and I have no idea if it even has shuffle. I think you'd be better off getting something like the Sansa Clip Zip if you're looking for a bargain MP3 player. They can be had on sale regularly for like $30-40.

12. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    If you're not thinking of customising any other figure into Soundwave, the ML Soundwave is a good fit with Repro Labels (a must!)

Re-posting this pic for the Xth time cos I can't find the previous thread (sorry!)

[​IMG]

Fits well with the PE minions IMO.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Yes. Hell yes.

Makes a wonderful classics Soundwave, and he's that much better with the Reprolabel set. He was definitely worth the change I put out to get him, he looks great on the shelf. I had been using WfC Soundwave until I got him - and that was a good stand in - but Music Label really nails the classic Soundwave look. I've got him posed with Frenzy, Rumble, and Ravage and I'm very happy with him. Never tried him as an MP3 player though...

14. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know that is an easy fix right? Just pop the head off and stretch the spring, DONE:2c: .

15. Doc Wheeljack

Doc Wheeljack Well-Known Member

Considering this myself... When I look around, all I find are the white or black variants--no g1 blue.

I'd like one, but not enough to work for it.

16. Hired Goons

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So for poops and giggles, I went back and created folders for each respective album. Hey, grouping them that way worked...kinda. For a few bands some songs were still way out of order, but only within their own album, not mixed in on Soundwave's own permanent playlist with songs from one band on another band's album...

Anyway, yay.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Guess that's that, then. Thanks for chiming in, guys; now I can save my money. :eek: 

18. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^

I'm confused, did people really buy this to use as an MP3 player?:drunk 

You could get decent MP3 player for WAY LESS than the cost of this figure. :2c: 

BUY this figure if you want a Classic's Soundwave; DON'T buy this figure if you plan on taking him to the gym lol

19. Hired Goons

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I'm going to spend the money, then yes, I'm going to give the MP3 player function it was built for a go.

Yes, there are many other MP3 players that are cheaper. Again, for those of us who have pined for a working Soundwave cassette player (and never got that one), this is still pretty awesome.

(I also got mine for 40 bucks, so nyah.)

-paul#3

20. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    He is a great classics soundwave. Because of him, I never need another one for the classics line.

As a MP3 player, it is an expensive novalety.