MUSHing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by canadianguy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. canadianguy

canadianguy Active Member

Hi guys,

So I've been involved in online TF fandom in one capacity or another (mostly alt.toys.transformers, before it became overrun with trolls, spammers and apathy, as well as the TF: Lost Years MUSH) since late 1994, and it really seems like things have changed in a broad sense - places like this, however, make online TransFandom a place that's still worth being a part of as far as I'm concerned. Thanks, hey?

I used to be really into TF MUSH stuff - specifically, The Lost Years and Decepticon Dominion - back in the late nineties, before stuff like college and real life and all of that sort of took over. I really had a good time with the whole MUSH scene and would very much like to get back into the swing of things on either group. However, I have been guesting on both MUSHes pretty consistently over the last couple of weeks, and it seems like things have really gone downhill in terms of traffic and people who are invested in the concept. I sent in character applications, but I'm wondering if anyone will even be around to recieve them? Does MUSHing still happen as far as most fans are concerned, or is it sort of a dying concept - and if so, why? I'm sorta baffled.

Assuming MUSHing is still viable somewhere, are there any G1 themed MUSHes around anymore? I've heard good things about TF2k5, but I've searched and searched and only come up with broken links. Is it around? Why the sudden drop-off at TFDD and TLY? I'm just sorta suprised and dissapointed.

Do any fans do this sort of thing anymore, or am I sort of alone here? I hope not.

Thanks, guys.

Joseph

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Many years ago, I used to MUSH at TF2k5. Apart from everything nearly falling apart with players throwing tantrums after Galvatron was executed and replaced by three damned cool hardasses, it was an awesome place to play (and that event more than convinced me that when TF fans who are on the internet say they want change, it means they in fact DON'T want change and will be incredibly childish about it when it happens, so those experiences helped me a lot for every time there's a new series/comic/toyline/movie released).

Sadly, I can't say anything about it recently, but I've met a lot of interesting people through that MUSH and wish I still had contact details for half of them (only have an email address for one of them now, IF it wasn't deleted in my last HD crash/replacement). But as far as I know, it's still going fairly strong.

The other place I used to frequent, I sadly don't have an address for anymore, after a HD crash, but was a lot of fun... more off the beaten track form of TFs, though. It followed a G1 track, but... much more real world. Kind of like IDW's comics have gone, but following that Marvel G1 vibe. All I remember are some character names, and my character's name, which is sad because I really liked logging in there and now I can't >< Ah well. Ahh, google is my friend. Altered Horizons.

Thirdly, was a BW MUSH run by a friend who's G1ish character I was using for a fanfic at the time... I'm now sure what became of it. BW Shadow World or somesuch. I don't know if it's still running. TFAH and TF2k5 appear to be, though.

I would dearly love to know if Skalor from 2k5 is around these parts these days (running back about 6-7 years), would love to know whether he's still 3d modelling or not as well.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Color me ignorant, but what's a MUSH? Some kind of online role playing game or something?

4. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    ^^ I was wondering that very same thing

5. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Me included.....what is MUSHing?

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUSH

Old time Internet users should remember MUSH. There were some good TF ones in their day. Multi User Shared Hallucination. Some were TF era specific, like pre 86 Movie. You got to play the parts of Transformers in real time in a DOS like environment. Good way to use time. :D 

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

MUD > MUSH well more fun.

8. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Soooo... it's like real-time online fanfic creation?

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    There's a message board RP just starting up over at Wardawn.com. It's set post-S3, pre-Rebirth.

Yeah, MUSH is pretty much dead.

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I never personally got to begin playing in it myself, but if this is the MUSH I think it is, then it's probably the one I was watching very closely for a time. I really, really wanted to join this BW MUSH I just happened to run into (can't remember the particulars), but I kept getting stuck on the character creation process. I was working over and over on this Predacon trapper named Devilhorn, who transformed into a Carnotaurus, but for some reason was too intimidated to post it (there was actually a rule about toning down the use of dinosaurs, which I found hilarious) or it just wasn't right. So I never did, and the game and MUSHes in general were forgotten.

Until this thread. :)  Man, I'm not even old and I can still remember MUSHes.

11. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

Is this all you're going to post, canadianguy? Really long, drawn out questions about what us fans are up to? Honestly, you sound like you're conducting a survey or something

12. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I don't know if it was the same place... I had a Maximal oviraptor (should have been an allosaur since that was the character I'd originally designed, but eh, another large carnovore would have been mistaken for Megatron at some point, I'm sure, besides it was another fan character of mine done up for a BW fanfic I was writing at the time) while I was there. Also learnt a lot of my old MUSHcoding skills there, I was enjoying playing and learnt how to make my own combat systems and stuff... too bad I lost everything in the HD crash that took out all my old fanfic stuff... bah.

Oh well.

And having played both MUSHes and MUDs, I'll go with MUSHes being far superior, but I prefer role-playing to brainless hack and slash anyday... also why I won't go near MMORPGs, that's all they are.