Mumps looks at: MP-10 Masterpiece Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by Mumps, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Hey everybody, this past Thursday I received the newest edition to the Masterpiece line, MP-10 Convoy. I had forgotten that I pre-ordered this toy, and when I got the payment request I felt instant regret. Especially since the yen is so painfully good against our dollar right now.

But you know what? Once I got this toy in hand, I found out that I really did love it! While I still regretted paying that much for a new toy, while playing with it and transforming it, the price was easy to forget, and I could appreciate what a good Transformer this Convoy is!

Mumps looks at: MP-10 Masterpiece Convoy - YouTube

This is my first "look at". I call it a "Look at" because really, the only things you will see on my channel are toys and games that I like, and that I want to show you all.

It is not the best review on the market right now, but I was excited for this toy and wanted to share it. I hope you enjoy :D 

2. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Nice look, thanks!

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad! thanks for this, though I kind of jaw dropped when you toppled him, :eek: .

4. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I've heard from several people that apparently the fingers fall off very easily and that the ankles are really really loose. That information really has me on the fence about even getting this guy...

5. Mumps

The ankles are looser than I would like them, but I can't say they are a problem. While posing him once I kept having him crumple from the ankles, but then I just noticed that gravity was working against the ankle joint, so I twisted the foot, just a bit so the swivel was not in the direction of gravity and it was fixed! and it didn't look awkward either.

As you can see, I am pretty rough with my toys (Thanks for that OMEGAPRIME1983 ;) ) and the fingers on mine haven't fallen off at all. I will look at that a bit more closely when I get home.

6. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I appreciate it. My biggest problem, while i like how he looks...certain things bug me. Mostly the price for this guy..seeing how he's smaller than the original MP Optimus and is a HUGE reduction in terms of quality (die cast vs. plastic), i don't think 250 bucks is something i can honestly warrant for this figure. While you seemed to forget the price as you played with him...for me, i'd be constantly reminded of how much it cost

7. Mumps

You will love him, once Hasbro releases it. :) 

While the diecast on MP-01 is gorgeous, and heavy, the plastic used on MP-10 is of a really good quality. He will feel REALLY light in your hands, because everybody has held an MP-01 or one of it's repaints/re-releases.

8. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The problem i can see is that everyone will compare this new figure to the old one. That's both good and bad. While it's not fair (to some degree), when you look at the price of the original and seeing what we got for it, then compare it to what we're getting this time around for around the same price...i'm sure a lot of people will be put off buying this and forking over hard earned money for it.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Just remember how much you spent on certain prelease toys that ended up being only $10-20 at retail and $250 will suddenly look like a decent price for what you're getting. ;) 

That I agree with, despite the flaws. Without feeling better in my hands (nothing beats huge amounts of die-cast imo), MP-10 does look better in truck mode and is still a super cool Convoy toy on its own. I think MP-01 will always stay the true masterpiece version of the character for me and that MP-10 is something else, much like what Alternity was to Binaltech.

10. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The problem with that logic is you assume i pay that much over the $10-20 retail price for some of those figures :p 

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    C'mon Paul...

12. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Honestly, you're one of my favourite reviewers, and i agree with a lot of what you've said.......but you know, Diecast in itself isn't necessarily an indicator of quality.

BTA Alert has diecast legs...and my first one, the back just wouldn't close properly because the legs were cast improperly.

13. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I think what he meants is that MP-10, by not having enough die-cast, doesn't have the prestige of its price tag. That I agree with. Despite his molding flaw, I'm sure that in your hands, your BTA Alert feels like a more expensive toy than the cheap all-plastic Alternators Skids.

14. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    correct...thank you for wording it better than i did initially lol

15. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Dunno why I typed meants though!

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, thanks for the review Mumps- it was thorough and you made me actually interested in the trailer! I wasn't that much before, but Wheelie being able to pull it and how it appears to be a normal trailer makes it interesting. I have actually had the figure since Monday, but haven't opened him yet.

Second, about the cost debate- I've commented before on threads about this, but I will agree that his material doesn't warrant or feel like $250, but he's not really priced outrageously for an import Transformer. I think he feels like a toy that would cost about $90 locally, and I guss I just consider the rest of the cash to be a mix of getting it to me from across the ocean, nice packaging, and simple markup for a collector's item. He might no be considered so much of a collector's item in Japan, but he is in my collection. He also looks like a breath of sturdy air after Rodimus, even though I like Rodimus a lot.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Thanks mumps. I am 100% sure that I'm getting the hasbro release.

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Mumps, I kinda liked your videos review on this! :D  Rushed job, I think not!
    also agree on the price justification = new toy, feel look and overall design negates the hurt from a painful wallet. :D 

19. Mumps

Thanks for the positive words guys :D