Customs: Multitasking Tools

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by crosscharge, May 4, 2009.

1. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    I don't know about you guys, but my local megamart doesnt have a kitbashing aisle. I was just curious which of your favorite tools began their lives intended for something else.

My wife is really into scrapbooking, and I am all the time raiding her tool bag, and she is always in mine. Scrapbookers tool are all small in scale, so they are great for getting into small areas. I have a "paper piercer"(in the pic below) that I have probably used on almost everysingle bash I have done. Its great for prying, picking, holding; couldnt go on without it. Im also constantly stealing her mini hammer, heat gun, and there are soooo many adhesives that I couldnt name them all. Ones that are super strong, invisible, ones that are raised, spongy, they are just great!

Another scrappers tool I love is our Silhouette cutter (QuicKutz) Ive only used it to make templates so far, but combined with a sticker maker (Xyron | 1.5? create-a-sticker?) Im fairly confident I can make some bad ass decals, because for some reason Im afraid of water slides.

A new tool on the scapers scene, is an old one from Japanese illustrators. Copic makers come in a slew of colors (322+ I believe) and use alcohol as a base. Ive swiped them on some transparent plastic and havent seen and adverise reactions. While they dry almost instantly they require a blender pen to make seemless transistions, as these dont work on plastic, I though I had hit a dead end, till I saw this bad boy: Airbrush adapter(Copic Markers - the markers that were created for creative people) Now, I havent had alot of time to use this, it seems like it could work really well, see the flower below I made in just under 30 secs with the button center pertaining to our plastic crack. The ink was dry seconds after I had sprayed it, and looks incredibly smooth. While the makers are expensive (~$6.50 a piece) if I can get it do more than 1 thing, it might just be worth it.

Ive typed longer than I planned so I will leave with one more tool I love. At my local Klingspor woodworking store, they have these great little sanding sticks(below). they come in all sorts of varying grits, instock 80 to 600, and the wedge shape of the stick makes it great for getting into difficult areas, while the "belt" system makes it easy to get a fresh spot of paper. They sell replacement belts, but unfortunetly not in a multipack, but for around a dollar a piece, I love em.

I hope you have found some usful information here, and I hope you guys post some interesting tools that you wouldnt normally think for when bashing.

Attached Files:

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't so much say it's a tool, but the one thing I could not live without for Bashing would be Sticky-tac
    http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/MMMM/MMMM-16.jpg
    This stuff is invaluable, it can be used for masking off parts that tape won't go on,
    I use it hold parts in place during the mock up stage
    & even to hold parts while I paint them (so they don't move around).

Oh yeah & it's great for hanging posters too.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    My Leatherman Wave tool started out as part of my tool collection that I'd use at home and at work on various things. Since then, I've used it almost exclusively on kitbashing (along with my ratcheting toolset that I picked up for use on my SUV (for regular maintenance and for my amplifier and subwoofers). I used to work on my car stereo stuff a LOT and now it's finally all setup and done (kept changing components for a few years)--so the tools are basically now used for kitbashing and I've used them to fix Xbox 360's and PS3's that were labeled "dead").

Overall though, the Leatherman Wave is used a LOT (files, saws, knives, scissors, and pliers).

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

mine is some kind of drafters pencil thing it has a dial and jaws i can use it to vise small parts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

I just use a drill with different sizes, a screwdriver, hobby cement, bionicle pieces and sand paper. but hey, that's just me :)