Multiple-personality Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Aug 23, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Making ANIMATED Blitzwing a triple-personality Transformer was a bit of a longshot (since some people can be sensitive about mental disorders in animation), but it proved to be a great success with that character becoming one of the best elements of ANIMATED.

In fact, I’d love to see more of this multiple-personality gimmick. I think it’d be really cool to see a multiple-personality Autobot, someone like DRAGON BALL’s Launch (Launch - Dragon Ball Wiki), Marvel’s Aurora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(comics)), or COWBOY NINJA VIKING (http://www.comicvine.com/cowboy-ninja-viking/29-66952/): someone who is badass and yet humorous, who could carry a whole episode on his various personas and their varying abilities.

But whom? I can only see a couple of Transformers (Autobot/Decepticon) doing this:

Wheeljack, who’d be a mad scientist-punk-samurai (based on his G1-ARMADA-Prime incarnations)

Jetfire, who’d be an Aussie pilot-Brit brigadier-Cossack (that combo actually is awesome)

Bulkhead, who’d be a pilot-farmer-engineer (based on his ARMADA-ANIMATED-PRIME incarnations)

Starscream, who’d be a coward-liar-egoist-sycophant-effeminate (all his ANIMATED clones in his head – of course the whole set fits Starscream just fine, but what if they were fragmented?)

And honorary mention must be made to the many combiners throughout the TF universe; the rule is that all the members that form the combiner must be united in agreement and directive to effectively and efficiently combine, otherwise they’ll all start arguing in the combiner’s head or something - a similar case, perhaps, just one that’s never really been explored before.

Would anyone be interested in seeing multiple-personality Transformers?

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Punch/Couterpunch springs to mind. Doubledealer as well

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Yeah, those three are great, but they're limited to the comics. I was referring more to a wider medium, like Movies/TV.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You didn't say that before. Also, why can't they be used in movies or on TV? Bulkhead as a name didn't even exist before 2004, and the character archetype didn't exist until 2007. It's not like Hasbro is only allowed to reference a pool of a dozen or two characters ever.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I mean, it would probably make more sense to actually tell some stories about the existing, canon characters who HAVE multiple personalities or who could easily lend themselves to that kind of story - who almost never got the spotlight - rather than randomly applying multiple personalities to different characters as some kind of cross-series meta-joke.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

The reason behind it is obvious, but I always giggle when I see this :D 

On-topic, I wouldn't mind seeing some more split-personality Transformers. Animated Blitzwing is the one of the funniest characters I've seen in the franchise, and it was interesting that even his weapons and vehicle modes were linked to a personality.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd like it if it was used in a tragic, dramatic or clever way. Just having one personality be normal and one be a screaming nutcase is kinda lazy.
    Punch/Counterpunch was in The Rebirth so he has had a (limited) television appearance.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OP, you missed out pretty much the original split personality toy ever, Man-E-Faces from MOTU.

I didn't think Doubledealer was a split personality, I thought he only pretended to be an Autobot or Decepticon to play both sides off against each other? I actually love the idea that his Powermaster engines aren't even aware of his duplicity.

I thought the same of Counterpunch, but his recent exclusive's bio read a lot more like a split personality disorder.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That's true what you said, existing schizo-formers like Doubeldealer or Flywheels can work just as well as revising more famous Transformers into multiple personalities. Blitzwing, as I said, was a longshot, but it was a successful one.

But anyway, whether they use an obscure (Doublecross) or a famous Transformer (like with Blitzwing) or even an original creation, the gimmick has potential and perhaps can be used on a few more characters.