Multiple continuities got ya down?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Gah! Blah!

It's frustrating collecting a line with so many incarnations. I grew up in the 80s, so I think of TFs as G1, but I'd like those characters made with current technology. OK, fine, no prob. My focus on display is CHUGs. Sounds easy, right? Build a G1 display from new figures and call it a day, right?

Not so fast! There's a LOT of really cool TFs out there from other lines. Of course, there's lots of stinkers too, but it seems like a shame to miss out on really cool figures like ROTF Sideswipe and Mindwipe, or the RID Train bros, or Noisemaze, or Vector Prime.....ok, you get my idea.

I don't collect only TFs, so I'm not willing to commit to a full display of every line, so I suppose the solution is to have the main display of Classics, then a bookcase with the other TFs that I really think are awesome through the years that have no real home....I just think that shelf will be really chaotic and mismatched...I like having organized displays and it would be weird to see a shelf with a random mix of toys from RID, ROTF, Cybertron, etc. I guess my long time comic collecting has made me obsessed with figures standing in "group shots" or on shelves with characters from the same "team".

What are your thoughts?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't really mix continuities. Each one gets their own display area.

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have very few of my G1's left, and the few I do are buried in boxes somewhere. But I do have my BTs and MP's on display, alongside a few Classics and Bayverse toys too. They blend well enough for me to be happy.

4. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

i feel your pain.

I am mostly G1, have almost all of who I want from there.

I bought hella Animated and THREW THEM AWAY after hunting them down like a madman. (I should have just bought more 25th Joes)

Bought Vector Prime. Threw him away, Kept the sword, which is in my Alpha Trion's (g1 scourge repaint) possesion, yet I dont have him hold it.
    EDIT: The sword is now spray Chromed

Threw out hella Unicron Trilogy bots.

I love my Beast Wars, and yet they are supposed to be smaller , not larger than, my G1s, so they stay boxed.

Dont have any urge for any of the Bay toys. I have old car Bee and the cop car, cant remember his name. My ex bought them and Bee was broken spring out the package so she got pissed and that was that. Lol

I wont be buying any of the new lines because of this.

Unless its Drift for example. A character that is somewhat G1 and I need.

RID was awesome. I still have my Convoy, but I THREW THE OTHERS out :( 
    I Miss Sideburn and Wedge, but Sideburn mainly. And that Magnus. If I ever have him out, he is just Fire Convoy, not Prime.

I thought about making him Sentinel, then I was like forget it. I also have Scourge.

I have WW Prime and Grimlock. I actually love those. And Megs. But I have my G1s, so they stay boxed.

Classics.......I have some, and I may repaint them, or something. But they are not my G1s and will not stand with my G1s. (Unless repainted into someone else) Kind of a waste.

I feel I have learned my lesson. Instead of all that garbage I could have saved for a Fort Max or Gripper, etc.......

Oh and Powermaster Prime to me, is not Prime, but either that disk of his brain that Ethan made,or Quint Zombie......And Hi Q or whoever. Not the Masterforce version. Sorry

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Used to do that until room became an issue. The Generations blend nowadays. Still, it doesn't look that bad.

BTW, CHUGs definition/meaning?

6. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    (I just figured this out recently after reading it in posts)

Classics
    Henkei
    Universe
    Generations

They keep switching the names on the line so it fits...until they add a new name for the line!

7. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I'll mix lines if I want...usually I'll have themed displays (Primes, seekers, G1 Autobots, etc), or utter chaos, as whim dictates.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.

WHOA.

Back up a sec there.

You threw them away?

As in, you didn't sell them? Didn't give them away to a child?

As in, they're in a landfill somewhere?

...Feeling lightheaded ... I gotta go lie down...

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, you threw all those toys out?!

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

These!

:crazy: 

11. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. It gets worse when you realize it's only a 22 min TV commercial. But I do understand Hasbro has to do that in order to keep the franchise alive.

I gave up on watching the cartoons or reading comics. I just buy the toys I like and I doubt TF Prime will change that.

There's something different going on this time, anyway - TF Prime will debut in less than 4 months and all we've seen so far is that creepy Bumblebee promo art. It doesn't even match the aesthetics of the Powercore combiners and there's still no sights of his toy. But Hasbro keeps releasing movie and generations stuff.

I wonder if TF Prime will be a mess of mixed characters from movie, powercore and generations toy lines. If that's the case, it'll be interesting to watch it.

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Multiple continuities doesn't bother me so much. I ignore what I don't like and focus on what I do like.

I love G1 but don't have many figures. I've got the Dinobots on display as well as the reissued Optimus Prime and Powermaster Prime, Rodimus Prime and Soundwave. That's all.

I've got several TF: Animated figures on display as well as Alternators and random figures from Beast Wars and various other lines.

I've got more Classics than just about anything else. I'll be focusing primarily on the Generations line going forward.

I've got Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream and Skywarp and I'll be adding Hasbro's Grimlock as soon as I can find it.

The rest of my display is Optimus Prime and Megatron. I'll pick up any Optimus from any toyline and it's quite possible that will be my only purchase from that line. Megatron is of secondary importance and I don't have to have them all, just the ones I like.

Aside from satisfying my Optimus Prime fix, plus whatever comes out in Generations, I foresee myself buying very few new Transformers going forward.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I can't say that multiple continuities bother me because I just collect stuff that is in the Classics style. If the style fits I buy the figure no matter where it fits into the history of the Transformers. If it doesn't fit the Classics style then I just don't buy the figure.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with Multiple continuity, after some time stories just.... reach their breaking point, you can't go better so you might as well try another way of story telling.

Plus I love how utterly crazy my shelf is.

15. dario_julius

dario_julius Dimensional Paradox!

I don't really care for myself. I'll just group them into Autobots or Decepticons.

I do put my Human Alliance on one shelf though.

16. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    After being a completionist for a decade or so, and getting to the point where I had no room and buying more toys was a chore rather than a joy, I stopped and started selling everything off.

The Hasbro came out with Classics, and I fell in love all over again. So I decided to become a "specialty collector" and defined the rules of my game as "All of the G1, primarily on-screen, characters including the Japanese lines rendered in classics style."

BUUUT, I've also got those odd-ball characters from other lines that I love, so my solution has been to shoe-horn them into the G1-mythos *somewhere* and have them hang out with those characters.

For example, I have my BMech Obsidian and Strika in my classics case hanging out with the Season 3 Decepticons. Why? Strika was shown in Animated to be paired with that continuities more-or-less equivalents of the S3 'cons. Also it suits their "Legendary Generals" schtick.

I'm also very NOT fussy about blending aesthetics. Considering this is a MECHANICAL species, and the "real" versions of these characters could be built in the same variety of aesthetics as the toys appear in, I see no issue with the visual style of my collection being a bit of a bell-curve.

D/l

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...Ah, that was a good lie-down. Feeling refreshed. Threw his Animated toys away *shudder*

Anyway, I see multiple continuities as one of the main reasons Transformers is still going strong after 25 years. I've always felt one of the contributing factors to Transformers' downfall in the late 80s was that the story got stale, boring. G2 didn't help much because it was more of the same. It took Beast Wars to really revitalize it. Take this lesson to heart, all you Movieverse haters out there: this too shall pass. The Movieverse and its attendant toys will get stale and boring and Hasbro will reinvent the brand again.

Multiple continuities will always be with us, and thank Primus for them.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hereby insist upon the adoption of "CHUG" into the fandom lexicon.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have the same feeling... my heart is in G1, and always will be. I don't watch any of the new cartoons generally, and even when I do, I just don't form attachments to the new characters.

But on the CHUG side, I dream of finally finding/bashing the perfect version of all the major G1 players and favourites, in the style I want, in the scale I want. It's that aspect that drives the collecting.

However, the other side of it is that I just like toys, and funky toy robots with complex and rewarding bits of detail and engineering, and cool transformations. It's hard to turn down an awesome new robot toy, even if I've never seen any of the fiction that surrounds it... and it just so happens that Hasbro releases tons of these things on a regular basis through their various TF lines... so I end up getting a lot of other TFs just as a result of my weakness to nifty toy robot objects. There's no emotional or nostalgic connection, no character or backstory... just the joy of having a sweet transforming robot toy in your hands and on your shelf.

Or... on several shelves as it turns out. :redface2: 

It's a sickness we have. :) 

I'm the same way... I crave organization, coherency, accessibility. I can't put my collection away in tubs for storage because... well, what's the point of having a collection if you don't have it on a shelf where you can browse it and pull items off the shelf at a whim? But space and proper shelving is always an issue, and I find myself giving WAY too much serious thought to which figures should go on what shelves, not only to make for the most logical, attractive display, but also just so I will remember where that figure is next time I decide I want to find it.

I know I'm already echoing the sentiments of a few others now... but YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT??

You didn't sell them, pass them on to other collectors, give them to kids, or donate them to a thrift store, or anything like that?? Tell me you didn't just dump them in a bin!

On another topic, it's interesting how you're stripping down just to G1 originals... besides the remnants of my childhood collection, I have almost NO G1 original figures, on display or stored. I've got G1 Prime and Soundwave for historical purposes, and because they display well, but the truth is that as great as some of those old Diaclones and Microman toys were, the new stuff is almost invariably better in terms of design and display. I appreciate what was great about the originals, but I still remember how it felt as a kid to be disappointed with figures with poor articulation or awkward designs. It wasn't all golden light. In many ways, some of the CHUG figures are exactly what I was wishing for all those years ago.

Actually, Turboedguy's G1 articulation-kitbash projects are what I was wishing for all those years ago, but Hasbro hasn't quite figured that one out yet... *sigh*

Or maybe I just find the idea of rebuilding a G1 collection almost from scratch to be too intimidating? :) 

I know what you mean I think. I still read the G1-style comics, but it's a guilty, nostalgic pleasure more than anything. For me the picture of G1 I've cultivated in my head over the last 25 years is all I need to guide my collecting really.

Everything else is just cool-looking robots. :) 

zmog

20. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I like pretty much all transformers, but I don't feel the need to be an absolute completionist. I like 1 of each mold for the most part, but some stuff just doesn't bother me. If I really like the accompanying fiction I will go completist (animated, show characters from Beast Wars, the original 84-86 G1) other than that I will go for it at a decent price or to fulfill the need to have a new toy but I will leave the odd figure alone. Pretty much love multiple continuities really, it stops the mass of continuity problems that you get with Star Wars or Marvel comics, any problem can be answered with an "oh, that must be a different continuity" rather than desperately trying to make it all fit.