Mugenbine

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razerwire, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Prime Magnus

Prime Magnus New Member

Reply to Roanstalker

Thanks for the response. At this time, I probably could not afford all the expense even if I did find them. So for now I am just looking to find pictures, specifically of the combination process. I think they do look really cool. Especially the Pharoah one.

2. Talyn781

Talyn781 Well-Known Member

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
  4. Talyn781

true
    but i'm not particularly happy with HLJ right now...and i'm an impatient SOB

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad looking, but he just doesn't grab me like the last few sets have. I may regret passing, but I'll take that chance.

6. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Anybody know where to get a Pharroh or Arthur Set ?

7. Talyn781

One page before this one Xjunky is selling

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Zero-Yen has some Pics up of the recently released Toshinju set (Site is in Japanese).

Prominence has some pics up of fan modes of the Toshinju set too.

Can't wait until I get my set shipped. Looks pretty cool so far.

9. Talyn781

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i cant wait for mine either!!!

i love that two of the components have the head switch of Anubis and Captain

Can someone list which name is which?
    the only name i know is Ganesh is the elephant...

10. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

Got my Pharoh today and am highly impressed, shouldve gotten more of them when BBTS had them, its soo much better than Arthur in my opinion.

11. Seawing

News Credits:
    Toshinju Review

I got the latest Mugenbine set in from HLJ today and here is a quick review of the figures. Special thanks to Roanstalker of the TFW2k5 boards who was kind enough to translate their names.

Mugen Hanuman: (monkey)
    I opened these guys up in numerical order so up first was the monkey. My first reaction was how tiny he is. When Bandai dropped the Mugenroids from their candy line, they usually put the "core" robot in box #1. Maybe he still is considered the "core" robot but he is much shorter than Anubis, Captain, and the Knight figure. For what it is worth, the bird guy in box #5 is slightly taller than Mugen Captain but still doesn't get near to Anubis & Knight. His head is also pretty small, even smaller than Mugen Captain's. This is disappointing because he has two faces on one head (just like Captain) so the combined mode will have a pretty small head. Plus putting on his tiny tiara sticker for the monkey face was a royal pain (foutunatly the head is painted as usual). But it is not all gloom and doom. Hanuman is actually a pretty cool figure. While this candy set is smaller than previous sets, they are much more intricate and have superior articulation over Mugen Pirates. Also these figures have more parts than the earlier releases. Hanuman now has much improved shoulder articulation over Mugen Captain and has a similar range of motion like Anubis & Knight. Otherwise he has the same articulation as Mugen Captain; he lacks knee joints. One thing I've noticed with these figures is the amount of detailing. Lots of the flourishes you see on the stickers are actually molded onto the plastic. These guys have a surprising amount of detail that was lacking on earlier releases and is a nice surprise from a candy toy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mugen Ganeshan: (elephant)
    Next up is Mugen Ganeshan. Another very small critter despite the largeness of the animal it is styled from. This is the animal that stores the tiny roider pilot. Unlike Mugen Stingray, the elephant has a sealed cockpit with an opening orange hatch on the top. So no hiding behind parts for this guy. Plus in combined mode, the elephant torso becomes the torso of the gestalt so he won't end up in a leg or some other strange location. Articulation is limited to the knees in the hind legs, trunk, and the hatch but most of the roider piloted animals usually lack any kind of real articulation. My only major gripe is the lack of a peg for the roider to stand on. Only three of the six beasts has pegs for him to stand on (lion, ox, cobra) so one would think that it should be mandatory for the piloted one to have a peg. He doesn't have a peg inside the cockpit either, so he just rattles around inside. Also of note is that the roider is smaller than the other roiders; he comes up to their shoulder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mugen Bion: (lion)
    Mugen Bion is really a cool figure, easily my most favorite of the group. He has nice sculpted lines and some pretty decent articulation for such a tiny figure. The knees in the hind legs actually bend and you can also swivel the hind paws too. The head and tail swivel just like Mugen Lio. The only gripe I have of him was the stickers. Now personally I like how the stickers look on these guys; it really makes them pop and looks good on them. My problem was that the stickers for his head and mane made stickering Mugen Sphinx look like childs play. Very tricky and time consuming but worth it IMO. Those of you who decide to paint this figure I'd recommend brushes with extremely tiny bristles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mugen Ambra: (snake)
    It seems every one of the latest Mugenbine candy sets has one creature who just feels like a jumble of extra parts with eyes and other parts attached to it. Mugen Kraken, Mugen Scorpion and Mugen Leviathan come to mind. Mugen Ambra is this set's parts critter. He is basically the gestalt's giant orange halo with a snake head attached. One nice surprise is that he does have an opening jaw and the head, tail and neck are somewhat articulated to pose him easier. It just seems the least inspired of the bunch IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mugen Garuda: (bird man)
    As mentioned before, Mugen Garuda is the tallest figure of the set. He is also the most articulated one too. I don't know if he is supposed to be the "core" robot in this line or if it supposed to be the monkey but he does have a head with two faces (like Hanuman and Captain), same shoulder articulation as Hanuman and has knee articulation like Mugen Anubis & Knight do. In fact he has the same articulation as Knight and Anubis but is missing Knight's waist swivel. Of the four "core" robots, he looks the strangest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mugen Sebu: (ox)
    The final figure in this line up is Mugen Sebu which is an ox. A nice surprise is that the mouth does open and close. The figure has typical articulation in the legs and the head does move up and down a bit. All four legs have hinged knees but the rear ones only bend away from the body and the front have limited movement. All in all this is a really nice figure if a bit limited.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final Thoughts of Individual Figures
    So I guess people are wondering how this set compares to the other sets. As mentioned before, the Toshinju figures are a bit smaller. They are also more intricately detailed over previous sets. The colors used are similar to the G1 Predacons: orange and black with gold instead of the bright yellow used in the TF figures. Bandai has also used the same maroon color used in the Mugen Pirates set. It is a really nice color combination and works well but the orange is very bright and draws more attention than the other colors. In my opinion, the stickers do a nice job of bringing other colors to the set and to break up the dominance of the orange. The only downside to the stickers is there are lots to put on. Quite a few are frustratingly tricky to put as well, but most are pretty easy. With only the size difference and the sticker issues, this is actually a really good set. A bit more thought has obviously gone into these figures (probably a benefit from lack of a main line atm) than in some of the earlier candy figures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should have pics and review of combined mode up by tomorrow.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Mugen Toushinju - Mugen Ashura
    Monkey: Mugen Hanuman
    Elephant: Mugen Ganeshan
    Lion: Mugen Bion
    Snake: Mugen Ambra
    Bird Man: Mugen Garuda
    Ox: Mugen Sebu

Mugen Enryuuki - Mugen Ryufire
    Ape: Monkeybine
    Elephant: Elephantbine
    Lion: Liobine
    Cobra: Cobrabine
    Bird: Wingbine
    Taurus: Hornbine

13. Talyn781

thanks Roan!

And thanks Seawing for the review
    the wait for mine is KEELING me!

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the thoughts Seawing, looking forward to hearing what you think to the combined mode.

15. Seawing

News Credits:
    I've updated my last post with the correct character names (thanks Roan) and put up the pix too. I should have my review and pix of the gestalt by tomorrow.

16. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Those guys are way to small. I though Captain was small enough already...

17. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

Those guys are kinda neat, dunno, have to see combined mode to make a judgement though, as my guys are both in combined mode. I think its gonna be tough to dethrone Pharoh as my favorite so far though, I still havent really stopped messing with him in the past week.

18. Seawing

News Credits:
    Mugen Ashura

What makes Mugenbine figures so interesting is the way they can be disassembled and put together in many unique ways and Mugen Ashura doesn't disappoint. Each set has about twelve individual pieces that you separate and can configure into the main gestalt form. One nice thing is there are many extra pegs and holes in this set so you can get very creative and make other types of robots, vehicles, or creatures and aren't limited to the main robot on the package. You can also add parts from other Mugenbine candy sets for more variety.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I compared this set to Mugen Arthur and he is shorter. The next candy set for release, Enryuuki, will combine with this toy to make Mugen Enou. This might be why he is so short. Hopefully Mugen Enou will be taller than Mugen Arthur.
    [​IMG]

Mugen Ashura has the same amount of articulation as previous candy sets (head swivels L-R; shoulders rotate 360º and 180º from top to bottom; elbows bend, wrist rotates and bends; waist swivels L-R; hips move side to side and forward & back; knees bend; ankles swivel and rotate). I also like this set's color scheme. I am not aware of what colors are supposed to he "Hindu-esque" but he does get the look right with this color scheme and styling IMO. All in all I am glad I picked him up and I am looking forward to getting Enryuuki and making Mugen Enou.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review and pics. Looks nice but money's tight. I want Hanuman just because it looks like Sun Wukong (Goku).

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram: