Mugenbine

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razerwire, Feb 18, 2007.

1. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

if any ones got a small "beginner set" to sell, i'd like to give these guys a try. there some neat ones on e-bay, but shipping is murder.

send me a PM if you can hook me up....

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    They are actually written in katakana rather than kanji but here you go.

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/gallery-MB_4SaintBeast.html

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/gallery-MB_MEvsDE.html

3. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

Hi all!

Heads up!

I was checking on BBTS site and Pharaoh is listed as available in stock!!

I checked my preorder and it was being processed!!

Only a matter of days now and I'll have me a fresh case.

4. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    PM Flywheels, he was selling his collection a couple of months ago. He might still have some left.
    I can vouch for him; he's reputable as I've done business with him in the past.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If not Flywheels, Cyberdramon still (I think) has some for like $10 each. His sale thread is in the Junkion somewhere.

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PM sent!

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've basically sold what I had intended to sell...and have regrets now! I'm actually trying to re-acquire the Mugenroid sets right now. I've been able to pick up some here and there, but some (ex. Zordelephant) are still eluding me.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm in touch with flywheels..

but cyberdramon seems to not be on lately and someone hasnt gottena significant sized order, or contact from him. makes me werry.

9. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    When you say that you "tried to translate them [yourself]," I assume you mean that you compiled (i.e. copied) things from various sources (including Wikipedia) because the glaring mistakes (not typos) and outside information on some of the things on this list suggest that there's no way that you attempted to translate this yourself. Moreover, I'm a little irked at the inclusion of "Silver Sovereign King" under the title of your translation. I translate everything here for the benefit of the English-speaking fandom. I'm not particular on where the names and information goes from that point because it's for the fandom's enjoyment. However, the least you could do is not credit my suggestions/translations (albeit incorrectly) to yourself.

With that out of the way, let's begin:

Seiryuu is the Blue Dragon (which is posted facing the East), although there's nothing on the box which indicates the location. The location information is part of the lore surrounding the 4 holy beasts. It's the kind of thing that you'd see in a footnote rather than with the rest of the "translation." Azure seems to be an attempt to fancy-up the name, as "sei" is derived from the kanji that simply means blue. Interestingly enough, it can also mean green - as traffic lights here are said to be "blue" when they turn green - but that gets into a whole linguistic lecture regarding colours and cultures, which I'd really prefer to avoid. Azure, in kanji, is written as "sky""colour," which is what Azure really is. Seeing as the toy is not sky blue, I wouldn't call Seiryuu Azure, although I know that it's occasionally called that on things like Wikipedia.

Byakko is written with the kanji for "white" and "tiger." So no problems there. Again, it's posting location is part of the lore and not something that I would consider a "translation."

Suzaku seems to be correct, even with the colour vermilion. See above notes regarding location.

Genbu's name (or the kanji associated with it) means "Dark" or "Mysterious" and "Military." I'm not sure about the etymology of the second kanji, so I'm hesitant to simply call him "Black Warrior." For all I know, the "bu" kanji could easily have originally meant "tortoise" or "turtle" in the old Chinese. He is mentioned in my Daijirin (Japanese dictionary) to be both a water god and a turtle or tortoise (Japanese doesn't discriminate between the two), which has a snake wound around his body.

Four Holy Beasts is the correct name for the set as are Mugen Emperor and Mugenroid.

I'll do the others in subsequent posts.

10. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    The Death Emperor set is simply an "evil-twin" sort of variation. There's really not much to be translated here. Death Seiryuu doesn't really mean "Death Dragon." Seiryuu is a proper name which derived from the kanji meaning "Blue" "Dragon." One would not call a person named "Reiko" "child of thankfulness" outside of being in jest.
    Not that "Death Blue Dragon" makes any real kind of sense anyway. Just think of it in terms of (utilizing Christian mythology) Death Jesus or Evil Jesus. Or even Evil Moses. It's the same concept, really. You know how the Japanese are with their evil black repaints.

That's pretty much it for this set.

11. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Sorry but those are wrong.
    They are:
    Mugen Kinoujin
    -Mugen Gunryuu
    -Mugen Kagutora(?)
    -Mugen Ho-oh
    -Mugen Enryuu
    -Mugenroid Gin-ou

Mugen Ginouja
    -Mugen Reiki
    -Mugen Chitori
    -Mugen Kouryuu
    -Mugen Mizuchi
    -Mugenroid Kin-ou

12. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    This set could be called the "Four Dragons of Legend" set. The name is derived from the kanji meaning "four" "dragon" and the first part of "densetu," which means "legend." Four Dragon Legend is awkward and reeks of Babelfish.
    Enryuu is indeed Flame Dragon, and the names for Rairyuu and Chiryuu are correct as well.
    Suiryuu is half correct in that it means "Water Dragon." The kanji from which "sui" is derived means water. The one for rain is different.

The Mugenroid is called "Mugenroid" in this set (not really exciting, I know).

The combined form is called Ryuuou, which as I have stated before, means "Dragon King." I'm not sure why you ended up with Ryu-Wo.

As far as from which legends the dragons come, I have no clue. I've not yet come across them, but Japanese legends are so plentiful that there's bound to be some precedent for the creatures - or they may all be simply fabricated.

Either way, I am finished with this set.

13. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    As Roanstalker pointed out (although incorrectly corrected), your names here are completely wrong.

#1 (black/white dragon) is called Mugen Ganryuu which means Rock Dragon
    #2 (black tiger) is called Mugen Kagutora which means Black Tiger
    #3 (bird) is called Houou which is the name for that legendary phoenix from Chinese legend - also used in Pokemon.
    #4 (red dragon) is called Kaenryuu which means Flame Dragon, like his 4 Dragons of Legend counterpart.
    #5 is called Mugenroidkinou which means Golden King Mugenroid.
    The combined mode is called Golden God King, like I've stated in an earlier post.

14. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Whoops. I thought gan meant gun since it does look like its arms are guns :D . And didn't see the ka in mugenkaenryuu.

15. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    Okay, once again, the names are completely off.
    #6 (tortoise) is called Mugen Reiki which means "Spirit Turtle"
    #7 (winged dragon) is called Mugen Chidori which means "Spirit Bird."
    #8 (silver dragon) is called Mugen Kouryuu which is the name for the dragon that reached the tops of the heavens. I assume it's part of some legend.
    #9 (blue dragon) is called Mugen Mizuchi which means "Water Spirit."
    #10 is called Mugenroidginou which means Silver King Mugenroid.

Combined form is called Ginouja, which as I mentioned before, means Silver King or Silver Sovereign - but definitely not Silver Sovereign King.

The components of this set seem to be strongly centred around a "spirit/soul/ghost" theme. Would have been cooler to have gotten them in translucent plastic, tho.

And with that, I'm completely finished because the Pharaoh set is fairly self-explanatory.

16. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    You also juxtaposed the names of the Mugenroids, but no worries.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I find this ironic, considering that Golden God King has the scythe, unless I'm missing some significance behind the drill?

Either way, the extra backstory behind Silver Sovereign is very helpful, the spirit element makes him an interesting character.

18. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    Well, I'm fairly certain that the concept of "The Grim Reaper," complete with scythe, is a fairly western thing while the Silver King set is pretty Eastern, what with Kouryuu and all.

I found some other stuff about Silver King in one of my leaflets that came with I dunno which toy. I'll try to get around to translating the next time I have time to kill.

19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I meant no disrespect Bête Noire. This list was originally a list for myself so I could identify the original names and which beasts they corresponded to. I have zero understanding of the Japanese language and the different forms of writing. I was just curious as to how far off I was with my "translations". I later thought there might be some other English speaking collectors who might be interested in this info so I posted it. And sorry for forgetting to credit you with the Silver Soverign. I originally had "Silver Ace" listed on the .txt file that I copied all of this info from but changed it because you had already translated the name and I thought "Silver Soverign King" sounded better; I was not trying to take credit from your translation. I will fix my earlier post and give you credit though.
    And I do appreciate you guys correcting me on my mistakes. I used a number of sources like HLJ or Zinc Panic and an Japanese to English translater to find the names of the figures; that is why some have two variatiions; I didn't know which one was correct.

20. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    The Mugen Dragon King Legend Sequel

So I took a look at the leaflet, and apparently, it's called the "Mugen Dragon King Legend" followed by the kanji for "Sequel." So now I'm wondering where the previous parts are... crap.

Oh well, for what it's worth, this is how the story follows:

Part 3 of the Tale
    As Silver King makes up his mind, he is grossly bitten by the gigantic dragon, wrapped by its neck and deprived of his sight. The moment it drops its guard, Silver King drains the gigantic dragon's core section life force orb.

Part 4 of the Tale
    The gigantic dragon's battle cries falter along with it... but before they (Golden God King and Silver King) knew it, the gigantic dragon changed into two figures. And inside the two bodies' cockpits were the figures of two Roiders wearing gold and silver suits. They begin to speak to Golden God King and Silver King. "Stop fighting. You... are like us..."

The "gigantic dragon" is the DX Dark Flame Dragon, as far as I can tell. It's featured on the pamphlet along with Silver King. Also, Dark Flame Dragon splits into two sections, so it stands to reason.

I really want to find the other part(s) of this story. If any of you have Silver King or Golden God King sets, check your paperwork. You might have it, and if you want it translated, get me a high-quality scan, and I'll get on it.