Mugenbine

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razerwire, Feb 18, 2007.

1. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

Weird? Maybe to some...they lost my interest as soon as I saw the cards in them. Hard pass!

2. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

What sets did you manage to get?

3. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Gundam Astraea hangar

so anyone here collected Evolbine and Moebine? what are the features of both lines?

4. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like the beast modes and using the cards as attack effects is kinda neat, but those robot modes are definitely... not what I had hoped for. The little weapon guys look great though.

Uh... well I just got my taxes back so I went a little crazy....

I got:
    Arch Tiger
    Save Gunman
    Carry Eagle
    Over Ligan
    Air Leon
    Saga Falcon
    Wingbat
    Wanrikiguma
    Uzumakidori
    Dig Kong
    Vortex Fighter (I wish I could have found the full Pirate set because it looks cool)
    Dark Pharaoh VS Paladin Arthur
    And the 2 Mugen Guardians since most places I found them they were a set.

...Yeah I probably won't be buying anything new for a bit. Most of the older figures are loose but complete so I didn't spend much of anything on them, but I wanted to get a bunch since I love the modular aspect of Mugenbine and wanted to have enough that I could put some weird customer stuff together. That, and 3am is a dangerous time to be on Ebay...

I wish I had one of the full old-school combiner sets, but that's something to shoot for!

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I pre-ordered the 3 little weapon guys from HLJ. I can't see buying any of the bigger card guys. But I will continue to grab any other little dudes they pump out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

Hoping I win a couple Yahoo Japan auctions that I have bids in for...have to wait and see
    One is Launcher Saurus
    The other is a set: (was outbid on this one...sadly)
    Turbo Animal Force
    Saga Falcon
    Arch Tiger
    Guard Kong
    Wing Bat
    Gear Tortoise
    Spit Cobra
    Impact Dile

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. einhazard

News Credits:
    So I got a bunch of the stuff I ordered -- some of the older sets, some of the more recent ones-- and man, I feel like I've been missing out! These guys are GREAT! Just so much fun to try to imagine up new combinations for stuff and see what works. I ended up finding a couple Evolbine sets in some corners of the internet and ordered them as well. Might as well try a little of everything if I can.
    Quick question though - I was trying to figure out how to make the combined Pharoh/Arthur mode from the box art but I'm getting stuck in a couple places - are there any tutorials out there for it, or is it just kind of 'see what sticks' because it's an unofficial mode?
    At least the weird beast mode for Death Guardian has a good pic on the previous page here so I can follow that pretty easy.

8. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

I haven't gotten my hands on the Pharoah/Arthur set yet, so I am unsure of the combo you are looking for.

If you have anything left to spend, check eBay now...search mugenbine, sort by newest. There are several of the older sets up now, complete and very decently priced. All from one seller that I have done a ton of vusbusin with.

9. einhazard

News Credits:
    Ha! This is totally the same guy I've gotten all my older Mugenbines from in the last week. He's been putting up new stuff like every couple days. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I did find the stock photo of the combo: https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig48/10485178a6.jpg
    So I'll try to work off that a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

I have purchased 19 of my sets from him in the past year...so, yeah.

That is the first I have seen that combo, and it looks awesome.

With today's purchase of Launcher Saurus (from the eBay seller) I officially only need 2 more sets to have the complete, non-gear, non-candy toy sets.
    To be totally complete I would need 7 more (still not counting the candy toys, nor am I counting repaints)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

Well, I managed to snag the last couple.
    Grabbed Xenonbine and Launcher Saurus from eBay
    Finally managed to win a Dark Flame Dragon and a Launcher Saurus from Yahoo Japan.

I don't need a second Launcher Saurus, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

My greatest dilemma now is do I go for the Gear series or not.
    I would only need:
    Arch Tiger
    Turbo Animal Force
    Impact Dile
    Gear Tortoise
    Spit Cobra

12. Zoingo

Zoingo Well-Known Member

So, I've been noticing these things on and off and looking at them in curiosity for... a few years now, I would have to guess. Specifically, I've been looking at what I've come to understand are the candy toy figures/ "Mugen Saga"(?). Can anyone tell me much about these?
    I know that they were made by Bandai, were only released in Japan, that they come with a stick of gum, and that you can build bigger dudes with them.
    But, how does the build system work? Is there a limit as to - oh, I don't know - only certain waves/series being compatible with each other? How big are they? (I only ever see them compared with other figures from the line.) How durable are the figures/How sturdy is their plastic? Are they still produced? And, where can I get some? When I look on eBay, I occasionally find sets of five-to-six, going for $40-$50+, are they worth that?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. einhazard

News Credits:
    I'm just getting into mugenbine myself, but I've already got 4 Mugen Saga guys (Dark Pharaoh, Paladin Arthur, and the Guardians), and they're pretty great. I've also got one Evolbine figure, which was after a lot of the saga guys, but before they re-released them recently? I think? Like I said, still learning. XD

The gum is a little rectangle, like with most candy toys. It's fruit flavored, and it loses its flavor in like 30 seconds. I didn't try the kind that came with my Evolbine since it was... not okay (and like 7 years old). I guess older ones the candy was more like Smarties?
    The build system is all pegs, basically. 5mm, pretty sure, but I'd have to check since all of mine are at work right now.

Pretty sure all the Candy Toy ones are compatible, including Machine Robo NEXT and Evolbine (evolbine definitely is). As far as that goes, since it's nearly all just pegs and holes and most pieces have an overabundance of both, you can do some really crazy stuff with them (go to the top of the previous page in this thread and see the different ways Guardian can be put together, for example).
    The plastic is, IMO, very good. I've taken mine apart and put them together in different ways and haven't seen any stress marks or breakage on any of them. It's sturdy and hard, so you could probably snap it with enough force, but I doubt they'd break with much normal usage since they're designed to be building blocks.

As for height, the Mugen Saga guys are slightly shorter than a TF Voyager class figure. Evolbine's a bit smaller (probably more like a deluxe). Dark Pharaoh is the height of the DiaBattles V2 Diaclone reboot figure, if that helps.
    The upcoming line is called Mugen Heroes, and it's doing this weird thing where their faces are like cards rather than plastic. I'm not a huge fan of that. Looks like it also uses a slightly different peg system as well (There's a link to pics of them on the bottom of the previous page).
    Seems like 2017, they mostly just re-released Mugen Saga sets from years back (fine by me, makes them easier to get XD)

As for where to get them, you can find some of the more recent remake sets (Paladin Arthur/Dark Pharaoh, Guardians, Ashuras, etc) on HobbylinkJapan, Ami Ami, and other japanese import sites, but ebay's a pretty decent resource as well. The thing to really keep in mind is shipping, because you might see something for like $40 on AmiAmi, but you're gonna be paying just as much for shipping getting it here due to the size of the box.

As for what they're worth... I guess it depends on how much you're interested in them? I've got nothing but good things to say about all the Mugen Saga/Evolbine and Mugenbine stuff I've purchased, and I've scoured the internet for some harder-to-find sets of late as well. They do get pretty expensive, but honestly, the Guardians and Arthur/Pharaoh are both a ton of fun and you can find them for pretty decent prices. There's a listing on Ebay right now for Paladin Arthur/Dark Pharaoh for $55 shipped right now, and I'd say those two are definitely worth more than that in terms of how much fun I've had (Guardians are cool too, but Pharaoh/Arthur have great gestalt modes). If you're looking for something that's essentially mecha legos, I'd say they're a great choice. I think the gestalts are cool, decently posable mecha figures in their own right, but the modular aspect of the whole line is super cool.

EDIT - Oh, one other note: With Mugen Saga, sometimes the bigger configurations don't stay together super well. When I combined Pharaoh and Arthur in the suggested combination from the box, his limbs were basically falling off from their own weight. XD

Also, make sure you are cool with putting on decals or painting, because that's gonna be a thing with Mugen Saga

• Like Like x 1
  14. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

There is a difference in the peg size between the older Mugenbines and the Candy Toys.
    I had tried to combine them at one point in the past, and it stressed the candy toy socket.
    Just keep that in mind.

I have been re-collecting the older Mugenbine sets, I am down to needing 3 to complete the collection (not counting or including repaints).

Impact Dile
    Gear Tortoise
    Spit Cobra

I may start collecting the candy toys once I get those three, but I may keep it to just Paladin Arthur and Dark Pharoah.

15. Zoingo

Zoingo Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you for all that! I'm taking a look at the Paladin Arthur v. Dark Pharaoh set on eBay that you mentioned, and as debating on picking it up to see how I like them. I don't know why, but these pirate sets from Mugen Saga and Machine Robo Next have really got my interest, but I can't seem to find them on sale currently. Again, thank you for all the information!

16. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

The Mugen Pirate set hasn't/wasn't re-released under the Mugen Saga line, only under the Mugenbine line.
    Bandai Machine Robo Mugenbine Kaiseiju, Full set of 6 / | eBay
    Probably one of the best prices you will find the set at.

Vortex Pirate from MRN was good fun...even has a little parrot.

17. einhazard

News Credits:
    Yeah I actually got Kaiseiju off ebay for about that a week or two ago. Still shipping. Honestly, $32 for an older set is super solid, even with the shipping. I found the Vortex Pirate set on Playmoya but it was... more expensive. Looks like they still have some at least: Mugenbine Machine Robo NEXT Vortex Pirates (5pcs) (Shokugan) Machine Robo ANIME ITEMS : PLAMOYA
    $150 for a set (after shipping) might be a bit much, but unless something wanders onto ebay (aside from the plane from that set, which is up there right now by its lonesome), it's probably unlikely another store would have it.

I mean, I had to dig to find the evolbine sets too. I found Burning on Ebay for a decent price, but I had to get Lightning from some random hobby shop website in Japan. It was the only Mugenbine stuff they had.

18. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

Try まんだらけ通販 | bandai mugen
    This search is set to hide sold out items. They accept PayPal, and aren't bad, pricewise.
    I just managed to snag Turbo Animal Force for 5800 Yen, shipped ($54.40), which is a fantastic price.

19. einhazard

News Credits:
    Man, I must not have been searching Mandarake correctly. That's way more than I've seen there. Thanks!

20. DeletedUser_85176

DeletedUser_85176 Guest

No problem...just let me know if you see one of the last three I am in search of:
    Impact Dile
    Gear Tortoise
    Spit Cobra

• Like Like x 1