Mugenbibe...machine robo

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Golden Age, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Hey fellow TFW2005 board members.
    Here is the third installment in a line of similar threads that i've started. I am hoping to find out more about some of the other toy lines out there.

I like the look of the new Machine Robo toys and . I have plenty of questions for anyone willing to spare a moment..like:

1. How are new MR related to old machine robo/go-bots?
    2. What can you make out of them?
    3. Are they sort of building blocks, where the sky is the limit? Like Legos?
    4. Also, I once saw some incredible pics of what some people have made from them. Giant combiner robots! Where can I see more photos like these?
    5.Are there any web sites that give detailed explanations on MR?

Thanks!!

2. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll pitch in and see if I can help out.

1) When Bandai first brought back the MRs a few years ago in the MR Rescue series, some of the core characters resembled the old 80's models...just with new tweaks and gimmicks. Each set consisted of 4 'drones' that could merge w/ the core robot to form a gestalt. Fastforward a few years and MR Mugenbine was released. They started off doing a bot for nearly every letter in the English alphabet. Now they are moving on to using the Japanese alphabet or something very similiar. First 2 sets of this new series of Mugenbine were recently released in Japan (Archtiger & Impactdile).
    2) Generally, each set consists of 3 distinct modes. You have the core robot, either a Mugenroid (folds up into a cube) or a Turboroid (same cube concept, except w/ 4 wheels). Using the various Bineparts the sets come with you can construct a animal mode, machine mode or combine all the parts together to make a larger robot. I noticed however on the new Impactdile release he only has a animal & larger robot form. There were also 'city' like sets released where you could form a small base of operations in addition to the other forms I mentioned.
    3) I like to think of them as a cross b/w TFs or Go-Bots and Legos. If you have a wild imagination and lots of different sets, you can come up w/ some wild designs. I've seen several fan built models @ Bandai's official MR website... http://www.mr-club.jp There are several sets though that are made to form a larger gestalt or creature too. Most of them also have the directions for assembly printed in one or all of the set's instructions. The last 4 sets released before the line shifted gears so to speak were dubbed 'Ridebine' as their machine/vehicle forms were actually built around the Mugenroid figure itself. The first 3 of those 4 sets could all merge together to form a larger robot.
    4) Again, head over to Bandai's Mugenbine website to see more about the previously released toys and fan designs. Site isn't that hard to navigate...just keep clicking on the links and you'll eventually come to the toy pics!
    5) I haven't found any myself, but that isn't to say they aren't out there. There is a guy over in the UK that does reviews of the sets...but I can't find his site at the moment.

Closing comments: I myself love these toys. In fact, I actually find myself fiddling w/ these more than I do my TFs thanks to the multiple designs and such. Several of the earlier Mugenbine sets can easily be found on eBay (I recommend Airleon, Digkong, Junkstag & Xenonbine) while other newer sets can be found @ JRS Toyworld. BBTS stocks some of them, but no where near as many as JRS. Go ahead and pick up a few sets, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.

If I can ever wrap up some other projects I have going, I'm going to try and throw together some sort of Mugenbine site of my own starting w/ photographing my own MR collection, both vintage and current stuff. Feel free to e-mail/PM me if you have any questions.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I agree...they're really fun toys and I stopped at the "original" releases i.e. Jet Robo...there's really too much to buy and I got other stuff to buy!

4. Sunstreaker

Sunstreaker Partyin Like it's 1984

Ebay:
    If you do a Toyark search, I believe you'll find an MMR mega-thread that has oodles of info on last year's line. Zinc Panic also has some good info on MMR and its related series.

I nearly everything in the MMR line before my collection purge last year - my fave was the Zord Elephant. Just a fantastic base for enormous robot combos!

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Liker of Pie

6. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

I have 12 sets or Machine Robo Mugenbine, with another 2 on the way from HLJ.com. As for websites about them, try www.mr-club.jp - it's the official Mugenbine site, which is in Japanese - sorry about that. :( 

Still like one comment used to describe these things - "It's like crack!"

Unclejoe

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yes they are like crack.
    I made a gallery from some of my collection if you want too see what the insides of their packages looks like, the figs or some combined modes.
    Except for the 1st 2 combiner pics, I did'nt make those. I wish I could

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Machine%20Robo/

8. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Holeeee...
    those first couple of combiners are so incredible that I feel like im gonna vomit.

9. Sunstreaker

Ebay:
    Once again, Chaos' ability to make even the most ardent collector pee their pants amazes me.

10. Asquian

Asquian Pissed off Yank

I've also been infected by the Mugenbine bug. I've got 3 of the 4 bases, 1 of the DX sets, and near a dozen of the regular sets, and I love them all. I'm constantly trying to get more.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

IronBeetle and JunkStag are just begging for an Insecticon-scheme custom repaint, especially since those two are "meant" to combine together.

(By the way, I remember I had this problem myself before, but if you're trying to figure out what figures are a team with each other, the matching box style can help clue you in, but these are toys designed with all sorts of possibilities in mind.)

12. Unclejoe420

I've got Needle Stego and Impact Dile on order from HLJ.com. Was wondering if anyone's ordered MRR stuf from BigBadToyStore, and if so, what are they liek to deal with? I ask this, because the have a couple of sets I'm itching to get hold of!! :lol :

Unclejoe

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

BBTS is arguably one of the best online stores out there, and aside from the occasional high price or "jumping the gun" on preorders, you'll be hard pressed to find complaints.

Hehehe, while I still haven't ordered from JRS (figured I'd add something for the gentleman below), I can't say I've ever heard of complaints in dealing with him either!

14. Empr Starscream

Empr Starscream Active Member

Ebay:
    I've been carrying the MRM figures for about a year now thanks to lots of customers asking for them.

In that time, I haven't found a stinker in the bunch. All pretty rock solid and look great mixing and matching with any of the sets.

The brand new Impact Dile and Arch Tiger are arriving on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to the new figures.

I did have a customer send me some pictures of the sets he's made yet I can't find them at the moment, in fact, I think I may have deleted them.

About the only thing your limited to with this line is your own imagination.

15. Sunstreaker

Ebay:
    I ordered a ton of MRM from JRS - he's fantastic to deal with. BBTS is good too - very professional...but it's better to catch them on a sale or when you've got a lot to buy (to keep shipping down).

*EDIT*

Speaking of, MRM I've ordered from you, Bill...you wouldn't happen to have any Power Nose or Over Leon kicking around, would you? I'd love to add those guys back to my collection.

16. Unclejoe420

Thanx for the info, Sunstreaker!! Will have to check ouy JRS Toyworld in a bit!! :D  But whichever i chose to buy from, I'm gonna get severely stung by customs charges!! :( 

Unclejoe

17. Sunstreaker

Ebay:
    Hmmm...too bad you didn't hop onboard when HLJ had them in stock...might have saved you a bit, overall w/ customs and shipping and all.

Come to think of it, you may want to check w/ Fan 2 Fan...I got nearly all the A-Z bots through him...apparently they were still fairly common in brick & mortar stores in Japan as late as November-ish of last year. About the only ones he couldn't find for me right away were Junk Stag & Iron Beetle.

18. Cosmo

Cosmo Liker of Pie

I got most of mine through amenbo.

http://www.amenbo.com/cgi-bin/list/toys/machinerobo/wave6-e.cgi

Unfortunately they only have X,J,K,N,O,P and the latter in stock. Try not to get too attached to I and L. Those two will definately be the hardest to find.

19. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Why the hell is that, anyway?! Iron Beetle is probably the one Mugenbine I want most (only really want those two bugs), and his bro Junk Stag can be found everywhere for cheap, but not him. What makes him so special?

20. Sunstreaker

Ebay:
    He's a purty red VTOL...dat's why!