Mugen

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by silentdarth, Aug 25, 2007.

1. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    What do you know? I know it's this customizable 2d fighter that folks have been able to add characters from almost every fighting game ever. Even some TF characters (made in MSpaint I think). Looks cool, tell me more.

2. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

The site's been shut down, and it's really hard to find it in torrents and such. I had it once, it's a bother to set up, and most of the sprites I used weren't compatible with the version I was using. It's fun though.

3. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    It's a 2D fighting crossover dream come true, but a huge pain in the butt to set up.

Especially so when I'm concerned with game balance, and cannot help but tweak every single character I get. And I have a lot of characters.

In the end, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Mugen is best used to make standalone fighting games, that was its original purpose.

I did one and stuck it in an old arcade cabinet for a university prank. There were a dozen people in on it and we were still up for twenty hours working on the damn thing.

Should have just gone with Beats of Rage.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Woah, I remember trying Mugen like... 6 or 7 years ago. I had an Optimus Prime character and Dr. Doom along with a few others. I just used to fiddle around making them super strong / weak etc.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Thats about all there is to say about it really. While there is nothing wrong with it in principle, its killed by the fact that most of its userbase don't know anything about what actually makes fighting games good and are more interested in making broken piles of mush made up of stuff from actual games instead of making games themselves. It also doesen't help that the program itself is hideously old, underdeveloped and discontinued.

7. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Well, there ARE full games being developed by fans using the MUGEN engine.

King of Fighters Zillion is one such project. Progress is painfully slow however.

There's also an ongoing debate about the continued usage of the MUGEN engine, whose software license has expired many years ago.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Mugen was awesome back in the day, but due to its age and development status (dead), and the amazingly snotty attitude of many of the people who've made content for it, it's just not worth trying to set it up or hunt down quality content for it anymore. I'm hoping ShugenDo improves the situation once it matures.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I remember this from the late 90's. Nothing of it really exists anymore, though I've heard of a freeware thing called Stencyl that might ultimately suppass it. Stencyl apparently is a game maker with a bunch of templates for making different genres of games, I think it might have a one on one fighter template in there somewhere.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Alternately, there are also the ShugenDo and InfinityCat projects, which aim to be updated MUGEN compatible games with no need for templates. I haven't spent a lot of time researching them, but both look promising. ShugenDo is open-source and designed to be portable. I don't know about InfinityCat, but it at least seems to be open-source, since there's a PSP port of it. InfCat also has support for online play, including play between to different platforms (e.g. one player on PC and the other on PSP). Having the new projects' sources open will prevent a similar situation of MUGEN's developers vanishing and leaving the project stagnant from ever happening in the future, since anyone will be able to resume the project from the existing code.