Minor/Repaint: Mudflap's backpack (solid fixes)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by closetrat, Jun 28, 2009.

1. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blah blah, yet another Mudflap fix... I know, I know...

[​IMG]

I think this is as small as it can go, as I've used two mods already shown here & improved upon them both...

[​IMG]

First up is the height of the backpack - some people (like me) are/were okay with it, as it makes his shoulders huge like he's beefy. To fix this & still keep him solid though, that original mount has to go...

[​IMG]

This new mount was made from the rectangle plastic clips used normally on bags of potatoes. I just cut it to size & eyeballed the screw spacing from the original mount, then used a nail heated on the flame of a candle to make the screw holes & the new latch. The resulting cassette tape-shaped device is now used to support the backpack on the original hook. You can also see I modded the front fender mounting points to allow his shoulders to come closer in-line with his head, this also creates friction by clamping the tires onto the chestpiece. This makes him extremely solid...

Secondly, Mudflap's buttflap was too comical to leave & killed the sleekness of the bot mode overall. Since I don't have a dremel (have become REALLY friendly with an emery board & X-acto knife) I simply rounded his mount to allow the flap to fold up into the backpack.

[​IMG]

Result: solid backpack!

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd post this as the "remove the back mount & cram the backpack against the figure" trick just seemed a little stressful on the toy & I wanted to make something that would hold the backpack in place like the original mount. Oh, and if you want, you could always file down the mounting posts before adding the new piece to lower the backpack even more, but this was more of a proof of concept than anything else...

Oh, & check the attachments below - added pics of the alt mode rear view, as this mod really cleaned up that as well...

Attached Files:

2. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

the basic idea of mine was to lower his shoulders and get his doors to fold down enough to look screen accurate. you definately thought it out better than i did though :thumb  i just wish i had the 'mudflap' license plate on mine.

3. closetrat

News Credits:
    Glad you didn't take offense to this, b/c I was really almost stopped by the words of Ian Malcolm:

"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had..."

I'm just glad you guys jumped on this mold so that I could get an inspiration to try this mod.:bowdown: 

Edit: Added pics of the rear end on the alt mode...

4. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    i did something similar only the i just trimmed down the original mount down to the line it already had on it and it works well thanks for the idea on how to fix this. good work.

5. closetrat

News Credits:
    I thought about doing that, but as this was a proof-of-concept, I didn't want to risk permanent damage to the figure. You got any pics of your figure?

6. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    sure here they are

Attached Files:

7. closetrat

News Credits:
    So it does work -- cool!

8. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry, but could you give me more detail as to how this works? I'm trying to duplicate this, but I don't understand how to put the flap into the backpack, or how to drop the shoulders, or how to make the new clip. Thanks!

9. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

It makes him look a lot better, I'd do it too, but to be honest, I don't mind the original figure.

10. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, what exactly did you do to fold up the windshield/buttflap?

11. closetrat

News Credits:
    The windshield mod requires rounding off the hinge by taking off the triangular portion - don't have any pics of the original, but compare yours to the final result I have here...

Here's a pic from dyingwill3rd's thread - where I got the idea, I just rounded it as far as I could...

[​IMG]

I combined this with Necrocom4's thread, which has a very detailed description of how to bring Mudflaps shell closer to his body by pulling his tires closer to his chest...

[​IMG]

But, I expanded on this idea by creating a new mount for the shell, as I said, by melting a plastic clip (using inspiration from Jin's mods, where he MacGyver's things regularly) with a nail that was the size of the screws (sans thread - wanted to be able to screw into the plastic as well as the original mount for a snug fit). It was just luck that I found one so close to the color...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps, but if not, lemme know...

Attached Files:

12. Jericho

News Credits:
    Thanks. Mudflap's at work so I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I'm not very handy with a dremell so i may not do the second image, but the first looks easy enough.

13. closetrat

News Credits:
    I don't have a dremel either - I made this piece with a nail held with a pair of pliers & a candle... I just made several holes for the large hole & connected them with an exacto knife & an emery board...

14. Jericho

News Credits:
    Wow, after looking at those threads I may have to remove that piece and make the pack sit lower, then try to work on the wheels.

EDIT: Okay, I removed that piece on the backpack and it sits just fine now. the only thing I don't like about it is his arms look too low now. You don't really need that one other mod you added, the backpack sits on the lip just fine. Not sure if I want to slice into the bumper to get the wings to sit back more or not.

15. closetrat

News Credits:
    yeah, it will hold, but not as solid as it does with the new clip, it's really personal preference - I just wanted to not have to worry about it sliding down...

16. Jericho

News Credits:
    Gotcha. Since I don't have anything but a screwdriver at work this'll do for now.

For my next trick I'll learn how to paint these guys!

17. Jericho

News Credits:
    I just took the spring out of Mudflap so I could push the upper grill back and get the lights front and center more without his head moving. Works for me! It should be easy to get it back in alt mode. I hope.

Now I just need to figure out how to completely remove his turtle shell yet keep his arms attached.

18. flix

flix Well-Known Member

I finally found this bastard,
    this stuff looks goodI, 'll give him the treatment tomorrow.