MTV's look at the return of the eighties

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blastwave, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

MTV once again tries to act like it knows about something other than reality TV:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1543153/10132006/story.jhtml

No new information here. Still, it is interesting to see our favorite cartoons take mainstream spotlight again. Also, I never knew Don Murphy was asked to do G.I. Joe. Can you imagine what Cobra Commander would look like? Oh, wait, kind of what he looks like in Sigma 6. Damn.

2. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

MTV sucks, anyone remember when it use to be interesting? Back in the same time period this article is about.

3. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Yeah, back when they did something they hardly ever do today...what was it again? Oh, yeah! They played music! I'll be damned! What a concept that a station called "Music Television" should play music!

4. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

they only play like 2 shows that have music videos. Unless you like rode rules or real world, it is a uesless channel

5. unicron's blues

Yep, and the only "music" they play if you can call it that is britney spears, blink 182 or rap, blah. MTV should be renamed TBTV for teeny bopper tv.

6. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Yeah when they actually used to play music videos 24-7 and had programs about music 24-7..

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

MTV2 was the MTV of old when it first started....now its like MTV of new....they both suck now.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I hate to admit it, but I kinda like a few of MTV's programs...the goofy dating shows and Pimp My Ride are always amusing. And at the risk of offending some here, I really love when they have gays/lesbians on the dating shows.

A. I think it's great that MTV isn't scared to put 'em on TV.
    B. I think it's great that MTV doesn't do it on a separate show or anything like that.
    C. I think the dating shows work out better that way 'cause then the rejected ones can hook up, which has happened before.

Back on topic: please no He-Man. Please no Smurfs. Thank you.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I have this horrible feeling Destro and CC would be merged into one character.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    They were hardly the first. NBC pushed the limit, so to speak, when it originally aired Will & Grace, a show about a woman in love with a gay man. And they didn't do the one thing that you thought they would -- they REMAINED SEPARATE THE ENTIRE SERIES, even though Grace wanted Will hardcore. Sure, it touched on the humor side of things, but I think it helped make the whole idea of homosexuality a little more acceptable to some people.

MTV? Trendy. It's now trendy (please don't shoot me) for a lot of teenagers to be "gay" or "bi" ... and the reason is because it's so OUT THERE IN YOUR FACE in the media. Half of any reality TV series (What Not to Wear, Trading Spaces, America's Next Top Model, etc.) all have a homosexual individual as a host or a regular. It's sad that a way of life has now become nothing more than an entertainment process.

That part I agree with. Any form of segregation usually ends up poorly.

Just remember, a lot of dating shows are staged. Better ratings for the unbelievable crap you see. Why? BECAUSE IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!

On topic?

MTV, stay the hell away from my childhood.

11. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    You all are complaining about MTV as if this didn't happen FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

MTV's rating were slipping. they put on some reality shows. ratings go up. in the late 90s they tried rededicating certain hours to just videos but SURPRISE-- NO ONE WATCHED.

MTV shows non-music stuff because no one is watching videos. and even now its impossible to have a video show anyone likes when you can get all the music videos you want on youtube or on mtv overdrive.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Miss the Martha Quinn days and the original Headbangers Ball

13. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i hate MTV.
    all of their shows..especially PIMP MY RIDE...
    "Dawg, we gonna put 10 tvs in your car and then we gonna put a water fountain in the trunk!!!"

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I thought MTV was the Road Rules Marathon Channel the last few years. I swear, NOTHING else is ever on when I pass by the channel.

MTV should just leave the retro shows up to VH1.

15. unicron's blues

And even VH1 is a joke now, how many times can you play Pantera Behind the Music, its either that or I love the 80s with annoying semi celebrities like Hal Sparks(I despise him so). I think the only thing I ever really watched on MTV was Beavis and Butthead because I didnt have MTV when I was a kid when they actuall you know, had something decent to watch.

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

What happened? MTV used to be too cool for ths back in the 80s. I guess now that they are cool, MTV will talk to them. Reminds me of high school.

17. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Ah, MTV. A bullcrap channel meant to be tortoise shit. :lol