MTV's Chat With Lorenzo di Bonaventura

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Apr 30, 2010.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    MTV recently had a chat with Transformers 3 Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

Original Article: ‘Transformers 3′ Producer On 3-D And The Truth About Megan Fox And Michael Bay’s Relationship MTV Movies Blog

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I really cannot wait.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

My question would have been what has Lorenzo di Bonaventura been smoking to say "By and large, the fans have accepted and embraced what we've been doing." Few things have been fought over as much as the movies have.

To say "We stay pretty close to mythology in general..." is the same thing you could say about films like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen so I'm not exactly sure that he really has a firm grasp on just what fans find important, unimportant, spot on, or totally off the mark. Which makes me worry a great bit about the third film if production team isn't grasping what people were not happy about and what they were happy about.

But I agree about 3-D. Seems to be something Hollywood is in love with but like everything new it's going to take a while to really get where it needs to be in adding quality to films.

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think he means how they have been outstandingly financially successful. Box office and home video sales. I don't think he was referring to the extremely small sect of fans who argue on websites.

In general, the movies absolutely have kept a lot of the mythology. The phrase "in general" is referring to an overall, blanket sense of the discussion topic. He also uses the phrase "pretty close". It's not like he said "We stay very true..." He understands, correctly, that some elements need to be adjusted for a worldwide, non-hardcore TF fan movie going audience. That's the nature of the beast and a necessary evil.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    To be fair to him (and for some reason he seems to think the movie still stuck to The Thirteen as opposed to the eventual change to the Seven Primes*), the actual Transformers side of the story, as disjointed as it was, did make a half-decent effort of being a Transformers story somewhat based upon canon TF mythology.

The problem was, Revenge of the Fallen was buried in inappropriate humour considering the age group of the kids buying the toys, and was largely a Sam movie at the expense of just about every other character (even other humans, such as Lennox and Epps). That and when the characters travel to Egypt the film goes off the rails completely.

*I think it's possible this was changed from The Thirteen because it didn't gel with Hasbro's own canon of the Fallen having been a member of Primus' Thirteen, who existed long before humanity came into being.

6. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Key statement:

"I think it's pretty much the same thing we did on the first two"

Which is perfectly fine with me, in terms of how the TFs themselves are handled. I just want more of them and less of the humans.

7. silverstar Twinburner

silverstar Twinburner Member

It sounds like T-3 will suck!

8. TwinSpin

TwinSpin Hot Coffeebot

Ha! By and large the fans have accepted what they're doing. My ass! If he can't tell the 2nd one's story was a mess, than he's a Hollywood producer. Oh wait, he is!

This gives me no high hopes for TF3 :-( At least lie to us and make us think it will be good.

9. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

The movie adheres to no mythos. The original thriteen wasnt even mentioned and on top of that when they show the flashback of the primes fighting there is like 60 of them infront of the sun destroyer thing.

The fact that god awful piece of tribal art they called the matrix ( which incidentally probably was an inspiration from the 20 dollar hookers back tatoo that bay came up with ) was about as close of a bone to throw to the fans as possible and it held no semblence to the original matrix. Ever!!

First its a powersource then no its a spiritual syphon no its a power source again oh and did i mention they BLEW IT UP. lol

I think what you get from the Lorenzo is someone putting a good spin on a horrible job that in the end doesnt serve the fans nor the original mythos in any such way but it DOES make a hell of a lot of money cause the CGI is breath taking to look at. All though the movie it self doesnt even take its self serious and completely seems like someone is behind the wheel drunk making them he is protecting his cash cow.

Its pretty simple. The movies do not capture the feel of any of the mythos nor do they even get the characters remotely close to resemble their core. It really is the largest fan diservice out there but for some reason people just dont care.

Lorenzo's statements in all honesty doesnt even sound like he is all that thrilled so maybe the man does have a soul and feels like he has traveled down a dark path of shame which is all too typical in holly wood.

10. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No i dont want bloody 3D..

11. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Neither do I. I can't see 3D. Besides, I don't like objects shoved at my face intentionally and unnecessarily.

Enough with this 3D Gimmick. Bay is right... Say NO to 3D. Hollywood is going overboard by releasing every movie with a 3D label. Movies should have a good plot, great acting and awesome emotional feeling to it. Not just flashy graphics being deliberately shoved at our faces.

Despite minor (hem hem) set backs, ROTF was ok. But the first movie was better. Enough with Jokes (ROTF had WAY too many jokes). If IDW Movieverse comics can deliver awesomeness why can't the movies? 3rd Transformers should be better or at the same level as the 1st.

Bay, you are doing a good job so far. Cut the unnecessary jokes, Say NO to 3D and the 3rd movie will please the fans. One more thing... If Bay had directed the G.I. Joe movie, It would have been AWESOME.
    Bay is the perfect director for the Transformers franchise too... Just need a little tweaking, that's all. :) 

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  12. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    100% agree :thumbs2: 

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure that he hasn't read the source material, someone should tell him taking names and changing how they work and what they were for does not construe being faithful to the source material.

TF3 needs to be focussed on the robots, having humans yeah but it the way humans are included ought to be more along the lines of Last stand of the wreckers than ROTF.

End of the day, I don't thik I've enjoyed the MB films more than the 86 animated one, but maybe that's just me

14. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    Thanks Bro! I'm going to open a thread with my content :) 

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    lol. That totally sounds like where Bay's ideas come from.

This man speaks the truth!

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ha ha, I read the spin job Lorenzo di Bonaventura is attempting to put on GI Joe Rise of Cobra so I think his new job title must be turd polisher in chief.

On Rise of Cobra when asked "Are Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the rest of the main cast going to return?" Lorenzo di Bonaventura says:

Honestly I don't think the man has a clue as to why people liked things like Transformers or GI Joe before his Hollywood buddies decided they needed to put their own special spins on them.

Chances are looking better of winning big money in the lottery than ever getting getting a Transformers or GI Joe live action movie where I could say wow that's a great enjoyable film.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    But needlessly jacking the names around has been a TF tradition from the start!

And following Last Stand of the Wreckers' useage of humans? One human, largely ignored by the entire cast?

18. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Channing Tatum played Duke? I thought it was an Alice robot from ROTF playing the role. His acting sucked.

19. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think the reality of it comes down to a simple 1 question.

Does anyone know what the differance between GI Joe and Transformers movies were ?

The level of CGI and interesting CGI models.

You can't make fun of the GI Joe movie with out looking at the Transformers movie and going "Its the same damn formula". The fact that transformers has so much wow factor is because the subject matter looks gorgeous in 3D and real as hell. GI Joe doesnt benefit from that so it completely relies on the team making it to make it a good movie.

Look at the character Chris Latta played in both series cobra commander and star scream. The completely did the same thing with both characters they messed with overall core look and principle of the character its just one is forgivable because their CGI looks gorgeous.

How about giving us a "Good movie" that takes it self serious but doesnt have to be devoid of humor and follow the original story arc to give some of us millions of fans what we have really been waiting for.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Here's the thing with interviews with producers of blockbusters -

They know they've got a good thing going. They know they can squeeze a whooooole lot of money out of a major blockbuster that caters to an already-popular American franchise, especially one designed to sell toys to kids.

The writing, the plot, the "core mythology," etc. - icing on the cake. To these guys, any of the BS is secondary to making sure they produce a film marketable enough and flashy enough to bring in the bills. They want to double their investment.

...so when these guys get interviewed, they try to half-remember, half-BS the shit they had the hotshot director and the squirrely writer throw at them to make the interesting pitch. They try and recite as best they can, but really - they don't care. They know they're gonna make cash, and that's all they care about.