MTMTE Trailbreaker Design: Alex Milne

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by VaderPrime1, Dec 23, 2011.

1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    If they would only make that into a toy.......

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy two of him.

4. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I would pay a disgusting amount of money for that.

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    ^ Yes, yes, and yes!

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I have to admit, while that is a fantastic robot design, I just don't feel Trailbreaker from it, it is too skinny, head design does not do it for me, nor do the limbs, especially not the feet. I guess it could go for a cybertronian mode, (which I hope it is.)

A fantastic price of drawing by any means, just don't feel it for an Earth mode TB.

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Yep, that's what I was going to say. Cool drawing, not Trailbreaker. But then I'm not exactly in love with the iconic Trailbreaker. I'll give it a chance. I'd probably buy a toy.

8. charsdc2

charsdc2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nice! He looks like a cross between Offshoot and Nightstick! :D 

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks cool. I'd definitely buy a toy of that if one were to come out.

Actually, I think I'd buy any toy of Trailbreaker since there are barely any.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I couldn't put that on a classics shelf, but I would indeed put it with TF Prime figures.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i saw the "mtmte trailbreaker" in the boards front page. and i clicked it, thinking it was classics trailbreaker! :(  totally disappointed.

how ever. it does look great!

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    too hot to handle! :D 
    that's a awesome design, and yeah...doesn't seem to fit the 'Trailbreaker' mould.
    Hmm, recolor it and make it Powermaster Ranger! :p 

13. Vexwing

Vexwing You are being deceived.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    You rock Alex! Hasbro, make it happen.

14. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    Oh my goodness, YES. Trailbreaker is my absolute favorite character!

Now I have to attempt to draw this myself....

15. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toy please

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    It actually looks like a Fall of Cybertron Trailbreaker to me.
    He reallly would be a surpriseing autobot to play with; the signature force field ability even fits for gameplay.

But I guess Rodimus resembles a similar style in the IDW universe so this should be ok.

17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Not bad ~ A little busy/overdone (and i kinda hate the feet), and I'm really not crazy about the new series designs getting all "Cybertronian" to the point of losing their classic silhouettes (or using terrible WFC designs like Big Gut Bumblebee). The chest seems borderline movie Iron Hide. I'm also just kind of over IDWs books redesigning the characters all willy-nilly at the drop of a hat.

but it's still a nice drawing and a cool design.

Kinda funny, when i saw the thumbnail what jumped to mind was OG Optimus Primal...

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    IF you could find him as a TFP figure :lol 

Great art for the comics for sure! :thumb 

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Wow. I never liked the design of Trailbreaker and Hoist. But THIS is so AMAZING. Would buy this instantly, if made into a toy.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know who they are trying to impress by making it look like a Movie Character or a generic japanese design.. ?

As a sort of half-and-half design like NEST Brawn / Lockdown or Bludgeon it's OK and it would make a perfectly fine Movie Universe toy I suppose - but it would stand out as much as the absurd looking Rodimus does if placed in a classics collection context. With a little minor cartoonification it might work as a Prime figure I suppose (since it's got a little bit of a Bulkhead look in the chest going on) - it's not ugly in and of itself I suppose (But that's not really the point- The point is context not design) and there's many designs that suck a lot more of late like Metalhawk or Rodimus or Bumblebee. but really I look at my legends Trailcutter and I feel he is Trailbreaker - I look at this and it reminds me more of of Skyfall or some other Gundamish Actionmaster and there's actually a few black coloured Gundams that it resembles much more than it does Trailbreaker - it looks like he's copied a Gundam and then stuck some wheels on on as decoration.
    And is it really such a great idea to try attract a Post Bayverse potential fan with movie like design sensibilities while at the same time really pi**ing off a goodly portion of the core market by making them look so utterly unlike what most people understand as a Transformer from 1984 to 2007 - I mean have you seen IDW Bumblebee (Is that supposed to be a joke or something he's like a robot version of a Tolkien Dwarf).

That he can be bragging about this as if he's done something clever makes me worry for his sanity or at least his sense of good taste (unless it was for a Movie Universe design) all his done is kill a thousands of souls childhoods by adding undue credence to the Bayverse and basically saying like Hasbro does that Transformers are not allowed to even look like Transformers any more even inside their own core market..
    I say cherish your Classics toys as if people like this get their way you will soon be buying Hasbro's version Gundam if you like it or not.

It's one thing to market Movie style items to the general public - but to the core market too ? - but all I can say is it's no wonder their sales have gone down the pan - and a big hint 'it's not Dreamwaves fault' - it's your terrible writing complete lack of understanding of the characters and dubious art design that is killing the sale and that made people jump ship in their droves in the last 2 years or more. Lets be brutally honest if the comic was rebooted now using all the Classic verse designs I guarantee the sales would increase; not decrease as at least then it would get a smattering of product recognition and lets face it that is the one area IDW are really letting everyone down buy putting their own design on a pedistal and throwing the baby out with the bath water in terms of character recognition. (The same arguments can be offered towards some areas of Gi Joe too)

Just look at Dreamwave's Bumblebee - it's not quite G1 Bumblebee sure, but it's instantly recognisable as him and it take a small flavour of the unreleased Alternator look and in no way does it devalue the vintage Bumblebee - IDW's Bumblebee is not only insulting to a great many G1 fans (who express outright shock when they see it) it's insulting to Movie fans even - it nearly makes me nostalgic for Armada Hotshot.

Heck The Motorcycle and Train Bumblebee's looked more like him than their current one does (or indeed most of the ones they have had over the months). So another black mark against them in my book... as they move further and further away from making anything I'd remotely want to spend my money on.

IDW should hang their heads in shame.