Heavy/Scratch: MTMTE Rung [WIP]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by HightailStd, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

[Spoilers Ahead for More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light]
    After recent events and character development in LOST LIGHT, I wanted to have Rung added into my MTMTE/ Lost Light display. Originally wanting to use the POTP Moon Racer mold as a base and just build around it with styrene, just because it turns into a rectangular thing with wheels I thought I could make it resemble Rung's Alt mode. However at the end I decided to make him from scratch, I wanted the challenge and I just had a bit of time on my hands. I am now currently 5 days into the project.

IMG_4066.jpg
    I started with his legs and how they would transform and fold into themselves from Robot to Alt Mode, I first thought of using the Combiner wars leg transformation where you open up the leg and it folds back up, but I ended up using Classics Deluxe Cyclonus' leg transformation where it opens up on both sides and sits closer up towards the thighs. The side pieces fold to the front like how Combiner Wars Superion's chest pieces fold out from the side of Silverbolt's legs to the side. Now it just holds together with friction but it works quite well.

IMG_4063.JPG

Now he's still in his early stages of design and I will tidy up how everything looks when I get closer to completion. His head gets tucked in and later should be sealed up by pieces filling out his torso. Here's what the joints look like and roughly shows how the transformation's starting to look like. I do steal ball joints and sockets from a construct bot here and there but mostly the pieces are just Styrene sheets layered for thickness and screws as hinges.

IMG_4062.jpg

So far I have his legs loosely looking like how they should look like in alt mode, referring to the sketch in the background which was copied from the cover of LOST LIGHT #22 with Chromedome and Rung in his alt mode. I will work on lining everything up and pegging things in for the leg and again they hold together through friction.

IMG_4068.JPG

I made a pair of individually articulated hands for Rung which ultimately is thin styrene sheets wrapped around a thick twisted piece of bendable wire. The screw is for installing it into his hand for a wrist swivel. Now he stands at around the same size as Universe Deluxe Cyclonus which makes him a little too big in the display but he'll work.

Will work on him and will try to post updates frequently. Ideas on how the rest of the figure could transform, especially the arms would be welcomed, but for now thinking First Edition TFP Starscream. But please leave any ideas and comments. Cheers.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Xaldron

Xaldron Member

Interesting way to go about, looking forward to see how it works out.

For the arms; 1st edition TFP Starscream could work, but you'd need to redo the hands to about 1/3rd the size. You could try the TFP voyager Starscream arms, if I remember correctly they transform the same way as the 1st edition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Cheers for the idea, and I will try to make those hands a little smaller because I do agree they’re on the larger side. I’ll see what I can do.

4. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

wow this looks great, i can see a lot of potential in this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

I like this a lot

• Like Like x 2
  6. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

A bit of an update, Rung has arms now, and they do work with the First Edition Deluxe TFP Starscream arm transformation. I took the body of a fineliner which was suitably cylindrical for Rung's arm design. I originally put in the articulated hands I made at the start of the project but they just make the figure really really out of proportioned. So I ended up using a small deluxe open palmed hand which fixed it a little bit.
    IMG_4086.jpg

His arms slide into itself and rotates upwards and around so the flat part faces the front. Once the back pieces are put in and when I have cleaned up all the rough cuts around Rung, he'll look a lot better. Even better when he's painted, but thats not close at all. I've put in a missile from a happy meal toy which looked a bit like the top of Rung's alt mode temporarily to see how the final alt mode would more or less look. I will have to think of another way to hide his head for the transformation as the arms now occupy the space where the head would've been.

IMG_4080.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

I admire the amount of dedication and skill put into this :) 

Way to make toys the traditional creative way!

• Like Like x 1
  8. G2 Superion is fabulous

G2 Superion is fabulous Your standard gay teenager

The garbage can behind your local Applebees.
    His head's a bit big, but other than that it's great!

9. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Another quick update, now I think I have the transformation working roughly to my original plan and the thing can transform into loosely what his alt mode is from the comics. What I've done since last update was I gave him chest, which I think looks too long and too wide so I'm going to cut around the sides to give Rung a slimmer silhouette and that will also give him a bit of a waist. I also made him his backpack which folds out into a fake closed chest that would form the 'chest' in his alt mode. The key thing bit slides up for clearance on a slider and also rotates down for robot mode.
    IMG_4095.jpg

Next up will be proportion control and adding some mechanical detail that would match his comic appearance. He is a little big when compared to the other MTMTE deluxes I have in the display, as Rung is about the size of a deluxe in the Transformers Animated line. His Alt mode when standing upright as shown below stands roughly the same size as Titans Return Perceptor in his microscope mode. He does appear to be in scale with the bigger figures like Whirl and Cyclonus, which stand at a large voyager scale, all these comparisons will be shown in a later but soon update.
    IMG_4099.jpg

What I plan to do next is maybe making small flaps that would make the alt mode more rectangular and make the legs tab together. Now they're held together by a small piece of Blu Tac, they do hold in their places but I'd prefer if they did because it would feel a lot sturdier. The top bit holds together really well and in alt mode things hold their place. I'll also work on smoothing out the surfaces for smoother paint application. IMG_4100.jpg

He does turn into a big alt mode so scale wise trying to recreate that cover art didn't turn out great as the whole thing should probably be half the size of it to work. Next update I'll probably have him roughly painted. Cheers.

Edit: Here he is standing in the display and like I said he looks ok with the voyagers, but with the deluxes he is too damn big.
    IMG_4101.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  10. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Update: First layers of paint done, the orange was applied a lot smoother than the white was, so I'll have to go back and fix up on the white, and maybe put on a clear gloss coat over the paint to make it look even smoother. I've made some of the joints more sturdy by thickening the hinges with small dollops of superglue. I think the alt mode's mostly done, but again the paint needs reworking. IMG_6726.JPG

I've taken the goggles from a previous Rung head I made a day prior to that when I made the one currently on the figure, and made it sort of an accessory Rung can hold in his hands, but that would make him two pairs of glasses. I basically ran out of white and red paint so I couldn't make the paint look as solid as I wanted. When I get new bottles of those, I'll fix it up.
    IMG_6739.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dano905

Dano905 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice work! Out of curiosity, did they ever reveal what his alt mode was for or did?

12. Xaldron

Xaldron Member

Yes they did, but very recently

13. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Sorta. They told us what it's for, but I don't think they ever specifically said what the altmode is.

Rung can create new Matrix crystals because he's actually Primus, the very first Transformer. He isn't a "god" though, he's just really old (so old he's forgotten his origin) and nearly impossible to kill. I don't think his alternate form has been given a name yet, though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Impactor666

Impactor666 Active Member

Looks really good! I think the fact you engineered the transformation as well makes it a one off. I've seem a lot of lost light collections out there but there all missing Rung I think hasbro or a 3rd party company needs to give you a job!
    I'm currently converting something into a lost light Getaway as the new one just doesn't do it for me and old g1 just doesn't have posabilty. I doubt he will be able to transform at the end of it though lol

15. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Cheers but if there was an official release of Rung from Hasbro or MMC or something it’ll be ten times better than this one.
    Also Getaway’s next up on my MTMTE custom list. I’ll be interested to see what you end up with your Getaway.

16. Impactor666

I've seen some nice custom Getaways I like the one from transformers prime Smokescreen the best. Nearly brought the G1 Getaway but I want the right scale so using this Prowl as a base I was never keen on.

Also I've been looking for a few cheap figures to make s Rack & Ruin for my wreckers was looking at the stars wars battle droids from phantom menace then had a thought if I could get away using one also for a base I Rung there quite skinny as it is only 4inchs tall though bit small for Rack and Ruin as going for Genarations size

Attached Files:

17. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Lately, I’ve thought that the Generations Bumblebee/ Goldfire/ Nightbeat mold would be good as a base for Getaway. I’ll have to ‘retool’ most of the thing to make it look accurate but I think it could work.
    I’m also thinking of making a Rung V.2 where he’s half the size and has combiner wars transformation legs, but I’m running out of time so we’ll see...

18. Impactor666

Like this one ? Yes I think that worked very well for Getaway as well. I'm using just trying to convert something I wouldn't usually display into something usable like my lost light crew needs a Getaway even if does become a very hated character!

19. Impactor666

Also had a look at some images of Rung compared to the the other bots and looking at his size I probably could get away with a battle droid as a base.
    My scale is way off with some characters though mostly genaration size but then you have a 3rd party knock off Brainstorm and Drift that are vogager size that look massive to the rest lol.
    Definitely need a rung got a be done the other character I'm missing is Nautica probably convert a cheap Arcee for her

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. HightailStd

HightailStd Member

Yup, like that Getaway but I’d probably completely rework his chest and backpack to make it look more like his comic appearance. And I do love to hate him, so I’m tempted to create a display for him recreating the bit when he’s dismembered on the Lost Light.

I’ve made a Nautica about a year ago using a RID warrior Windblade, she was my first try with using styrene plastic sheets to rework a character. But I’ve added bits so she loosely turns into her alt mode. RID warriors are on sale now where I’m at. But Arcee should work too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1