MTMTE Annual Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    After a few delays, it's finally been released. In comiXology, search for "annual". It should come up.

Downloading now. Will post thoughts when I'm finished reading.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I have to wait until about 7:30 tonight.

Not.

Fair.

3. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron = Karl Marx

4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Honestly, I didn't really enjoy it all that much. Which is surprising since I love the MTMTE books.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Woo-Hoo! Finally! Downloaded through the Comixology Website, reading now.

Drift: 'This 'Til all are One thing, a few of us have been talking and, I mean we love it and all, but it's one of those saying's that's best used in moderation. Otherwise it sort of... Loses it's impact...'
    Rodimus: 'What? I don't say it that often!'
    *Whole page of Rodimus saying just that!*

1 minute I've been reading and tears are literally streaming down my face!

6. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished it.

Wow. Nice big MtMTE serving which is great.

The artist is a bit rough in some places, not as overall strong as Roche or Milne, but I do really like his work on the flashback/Religious story in the middle. That really captured the feel of similar stories from the UK and US Marvel comics. It was really nice. And the story was as great as expected, which always trumps art for me.

Speaking of said flashback/story... Wow that was cool... It's been SO long since we had a new take on this sort of thing. We've been dealing with The Thirteen for so long it was really nice to see a very new Primus myth with new "gods" and players. And it has enough general similarities to the Marvel Comics, to The Thirteen, and to the Cartoon even that it could be a corrupted... Mythisized... result of them, but it's still it's own thing. So much new and potential coolness.

Outside of that, some great characterization for Drift (His reactions to both Whirl and Ratchet are great. He's actually a 3dimensional likable character WOW.), Rodimus, Magnus and poor Swerve. A handful of new Metroplex repaints everyone can ask for! Woo! And a very unexpected resurrection.

-ZacWilliam, even with slightly rough art this is a GREAT issue and full of great revelations, BIG story developments, Big Universe developments, and really nice characterlization. As with the series as a whole, EVERY TF fan should be reading this.

7. Kraken

News Credits:
    Agree with everything you've said there Zac, this was excellent. Soooooo much universe building going on here
    and now with the potential mobilisation of the Galactic Council against the Cybertronians, will we see the whole of Cybertron have to unite against an external threat? I loved the creation story (and Rewinds reaction to Cyclonus 'Arrgh! I didn't know you could speak!') Absolutely superb.

The art is a little rough in places, although not completely jarring, and certainly doesn't detract at all from the story which is superb. I love Drift in this, and Whirl, and Rodimus, and Magnus, and, heck, they're all brilliant. Can't wait now for the RID annual to see if they tie together in the way I expect them to...

8. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though the art wasn't so good, I enjoyed this one. Nice characterization for many people :) 

Argh, I love you, Roberts! :bowdown: 

9. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    It turns out the really nice art for a few pages in the middle (during the story/myth telling) was by Guido not the guy doing the rest of the issue. Which makes a lot of sense.

It's too bad he couldn't have done the whole annual. I mean it's good as is, with a great story the rough art is passable but the whole thing by Guido would have been amazing.

-ZacWilliam, ah well, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth too much, MTMTE is still the best thing to happen to TF stories in forever...

10. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is this the one with
    Metroplex on the cover, if so how does he fit into the story?

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Those annuals don't contain new stories or do they? They are not even mentioned on TFWiki? I never saw an Transformers Annual from IDW.

12. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    It is the one you think, but let's just say that there's an error in your sentence that I can't correct without spoiling you.

-ZacWilliam, hint "bunch of new repaint options."

13. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    This is the first IDW TF Annual ever. RiD gets one soon too.

And YES they do. AN All NEW Double sized MtMTE story.

-ZacWilliam, that's the whole point of Annuals in comics, big important stories... And this one is both.

14. Kraken

News Credits:
    Oh and I love that
    Beachcomber was a preacher of some sort in Roberts world. Seems very... Fitting somehow. Beachcomber of Ibex, spreading the word of Primus and peace and love.

EDIT: just realised;
    after a re-read, the guys who attacked Crystal City look an awful lot like the Regulators (aka 1984 bots) to me. Shame Chromedome forgot before he read Skids memories. [/spolier]

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Just finished. There's a LOT of stuff here, and I'm still trying to process it all. Roberts' writing is as good as ever. The art, however, was a little weird, though not like Heart of Darkness-bad or anything.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Another masterpiece delivered perfectly by Roberts. Loved it. Loved loved loved.

17. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Now I have to wait for TFWiki to post the summary.

Any interesting characters on the Lost Light that haven't appeared yet other than Atomizer?

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah, gotta love that part of the story :) 
    I notice Roberts has been dropping in a lot of Jap TF stuff in lately, we've gotten Overlord, Black Shadow, and now Metrotitan. Hope the trend continues, because I'd love to see bots like Star Saber and Victory Lio make their first appearances in western TF comics.

Same here, it was just a bit off. Nevertheless, the story was just wow. I think I'll have to reread some stuff.

19. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So idw has their own version of the 13? Any similarities to the ones we know about?

20. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    Spoilers, since you asked I assume you don't mind...

They have "The Guiding Hand". The original Primus robot split into five robot pieces like a gestalt.

Each embodied something, like The Thirteen. They represent :

Mortilus - Death
    Primus - Life
    Solomus - Wisdom
    Epistemus - Knowledge
    Adaptus - Transformation

They creat life and give them alt forms. Mortilus wants to conquer the universe. The battle to stop him kills or changes others Primus becomes Vector Sigma. Solomus becomes the Matrix. With Death/Mortilus dead Transformer sparks become immortal. Epistimus and Adaptus are striped down to only being a Brain and a TCog respectively but that loss grants the TFs the powers of conciousness and transformation. The Knights were their first/greatest creations and flew off into space in giant Metrotitans.

It's got a lot of similarities to previous origins while also being very different. Also this is all second hand from Cyclonus's old religious devotions. So there's room for it to be a corroption or mythilization of somethign else. Majorly interesting.