[MtMtE #45] Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by FruitBuyer, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Driskull98

Driskull98 World's Only Snarler Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This issue seemed a little short to me, but overall I was very pleased with it, especially after the last few mediocre issues.

And add me to the list of folks who have noticed a definite style change.

2. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    No need to rehash all of the excellent critiques that have been consistently levied against this season. I'm right there with you guys.

To put it simply, the comedy has overwhelmed any sense of gravity. Even though we've had the death of Trailbreaker, the origin of Megatron, the return of Rewind, the trial of Brainstorm, the recovery of Thunderclash, et. al., none of them has felt as important, or cutting, as the loss of Ambulon, departure of Drift, the reveal of Tailgate's early demise, Fort Max's PTSD...

Hell, Pipe's death was heartwrenching to me.

Whirl imagining pushing Cyclonus into the smelting pool made me gasp!

Where's the gravitas in season 2?

It's been obfuscated by overwrought comedy.

I mean, the fact that the quantum duplicates all being murdered didn't shake the crew to their core is absolutely bizarre to me.

3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    One thing about the dialogue I noticed is that either I've read so much of Robertsian Dialogue that it's become like this for me, or it's beginning to feel kind of artificial? Like the little gaps, stutters, and "--it's true"'s in Skullcruncher's comedy routine feel like they're inserted to make the dialogue "flow" better, but reading it it just sounds like it's coming from Roberts and not from Skullcruncher.

I mean I liked the issue overall. I thought the dialogue was a lot better once the conflict rolled in between the Scavengers, but whenever Roberts sets up filler and comedy it sort of feels forced. I think that's the issue, as Digilaut said, instead of weaving comedy and seriousness together we're getting an imbalance, and the book has started suffering for it.

Also I've preferred the Ex-RID issue of the month over the MTMTE one for like, three times in a row now, which is freaking me out and shouldn't normally happen.

4. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Also, I don't know if I said it before or not, but I think the fact that Rewind was brought back from the dead is so cheap and lazy and pretty much negates all the drama and pathos from the earlier storylines.

I had hoped that the way deaths happened in this book (sudden and randomly, just like real life) meant that this wasn't going to be another "comic book" with "comic book deaths" that are undone a few issues later.

I was wrong.

5. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

It was the other way around.

6. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Season 2 is simply not a patch on 1.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, that's a good way of summing up the overall effect.

I guess that when it all comes down to it, there simply weren't that many bots who really witnessed the carnage on the LL2, and most of the crew probably never got the full story. Nobody had to face their own deaths (besides Rodimus) and most everyone had just been coming off millions of years of war, so I imagine they must have a pretty reliable way of containing those kinds of emotions in the face of violence. The fact that it was a quantum anomaly makes it that much easier to shut it off and pretend it never happened. That doesn't explain Nautica's resilience though.

Though it would still be unnerving to know that there was a duplicate crew roaming around the universe... until they all got butchered by the DJD. That would be pretty spooky.

However, I do agree with you... a storyline like that was just packed with possible repercussions and follow ups. I realize we went directly into the time travel crisis, but since then, what have we seen...? Some awkwardness with Rewind and Domey. Brainstorm's trial? At the very least, there are still potential questions regarding Rewind II, like... why didn't he evaporate like the rest of the LL II? It just seems like there's a goldmine of potential plot hooks in that story, and instead Roberts treated it as open-and-shut... and instead of a simmering, more rewarding undercurrent or ongoing plot, we've been getting these episodic bits and pieces. I feel like there are a lot of characters and stories he could be following up, but lately none of stories that make it to the page are them.

Maybe he needs to synch things up with #50, and so he's emptying out his "half baked idea" drawer to space things out till then. I know that Roberts said that "filler" is a dirty word to an author... but it feels like filler, and surely that should set off some warning bells?

Yeah, because suddenly getting those laughs becomes the most important thing on the page, and everything else hangs. It feels like Roberts himself has become too obsessed with sitcoms, and has been writing from his own Swearth. Even at the best of times, you can feel him trying to nail down a pace and a tone that is lifted wholesale from television, but it does feel really forced lately. The threshhold of medium-specificity has been breached but not bridged, and so it sort of tumbles into an abyss.

That's a bad sign... though I think it's because we expect more from Roberts. Since this "season", it feels like both of them are trying too hard to be funny, with questionable results.

Yeah... I was actually expecting Rewind to come back somehow... but not like this. I was anticipating something more complicated, that wouldn't end up as a return to status quo.

I have mixed feelings about how death is used. On the one hand, it should have some real meaning. On the other hand, its finality should be sudden and shocking. I don't need death as a constant reminder of the capricious nature of life, or simply as shock value. We are reading a crafted story, and there is value in dramatic impetus. When it a death punctuates a worthwhile story arc, it can feel "right".

In my mind, Rewind and/or Tailgate should have died. Basically right now I feel like Tailgate is only around so I can find out why Getaway is a creep. On the other hand Magnus' death was bound to be temporary, and I felt like Trailbreaker's death was premature. I don't feel like we were done with him yet... which could be "meaningful" in that death in real life always feels like that, a truncation of a person's continuity... but as a reader, I'm more dissatisfied than struck by its poignancy.

Pipes... sad, but where else was he going, really? Somebody had to die when Overlord got out. Good thing it was nobody important. :p 

Ambulon? That guy was only hanging around to get killed. Too bad he never really became a character beyond "former decepticon leg guy". :) 

zmog

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    We still don't know where it'll lead up to....

I want to wait till the season finale first. Roberts could still turn it around and just give us a ultimate whammie.

9. SMOG

A whammie so ultimate that it will erase our memories of the last 6 months?

zmog

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    With Roberts? Hey it's a possibility!

11. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Hes good but hes not that good.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Well, if the DJD live up to all the hype, it probably would. But the chances of that happening are zero.

13. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Crusadercon

Well... this still is the guy who wrote "season 1" of MTMTE, Chaos Theory and all those Wreckers prose stories. So... it might be possible.

14. SMOG

Hey, I loved Season 1 too! I'd love to see this series get back on its feet and find its focus again... but nothing Roberts has said suggests to me that he really understands why so many of us are legitimately unhappy with the way the series is going lately. So I'm worried... and it'll take more than one stunning season finale to reset the books.

And really... half a year of questionable material still carries a sting. I think I'd need at least 6 months of really great, important stories to balance things out before I'll be bowing at this altar again.

But hey... there's always hope, right?

zmog

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I have a feeling it might just happen.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    And that's something I really have a hard time forgiving, the fact that we can't get this time back. It's been so, so long since we had something good come from MTMTE, and these will forever form a sizable black mark on what is admittedly still an overall great series, but it's a quickly dwindling "great."

It's never happened before, though.

Roberts has consistently failed to deliver "whammies" when it comes to finales. They're not necesarily bad, but they're never big, amazing crescendos. His strengths and greatest hits are issues that build up, or self-contained tales that don't have to end with a bang. I'm thinking of Shadowplay or Delphie and neither had big finales. They were just really good stories. Remain in Light was okay, and may have been better if it had the number of issues it needed, but it was far from a "whammy."

17. JudgeDeliberata

JudgeDeliberata Majestrix

*Wince*

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'd pay $3.99 for that cover art alone BTW.

I really like Mline's work here.

Quick post because I'm late for work. Fun issue, I liked the humor, there was some world building.

Quick thought: Fulcrum was forged, but he was remanufactured into a K-class? Didn't he also say something about coming online at the height of the Decepticon Empire? Am I missing something here?

19. SMOG

Too bad this stuff didn't come right after Dark Cybertron. I could have taken the whole year off. :p 

This is pretty much true; the best stuff in MTMTE has the gradual building to something big... the clues, the suspense, the multiple moving parts, etc... however, in terms of the payoff, it rarely delivers on a scale that is commensurate with the anticipation and expectations. His crescendos often feel a bit rushed, a bit pat, and a bit smaller and simpler than we might have hoped. Part of that is the monthly format, and this particular audience... we've gotten accustomed to reading into things, and expecting grand results. Maybe this spate of lamer stories is just to reset our expectations? :lol 

zmog

20. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime Perstare et Praestare

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Fulcrum was remanufactured into a K-class because he ran when the Autobots attacked the planet he was stationed at and sent to some sort of prison until high command ordered everyone to be converted to K-class bombs. As for coming online during the war, I believe it means that he was "warborn" or was forged during the war before all the hotspots cooled.