[MtMtE #45] Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by FruitBuyer, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Sorry. Since you were right under my post I thought you were addressing me. My apologies.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Hm.

I think that I might have enjoyed this issue a bit more if it had actually felt like a departure... and "off-beat" side-story. The way things have been lately, it's just more of the same zany, anti-atmospheric, sit-com-inflected, overbearingly meta stuff that has been raising hackles on the forums for some time. What could have been an entertainingly goofy idyll with the Scavengers ends up feeling like the rest of the series... overloaded with smarmy, superficial nudge-wink humour.

There are some good gags in here. I chuckled a few times... but the mix was still off. Not every single goddamn line has to be a gag... not even half of them. This isn't a Zuckers Brothers movie! I think the fact that only about half the gags are all that funny points to perfunctory over-saturation effect here... I think the signal-to-noise ratio has become a bit broken.

Also, the "Transformers-as-metaphor-for-thirtysomething-life-malaise" is getting REALLY REALLY tiresome. Cripes, Roberts... stop trying so damn hard to deliver a positive, humorous-but-poignant life message within a 30-minute time slot, and write some damn Transformers-fiction-as-Transformers-fiction already. Sheeeeesh!

Like I said, I'd probably be softer on this issue if it weren't for the fact that this series has been so frickin' arch lately, that it has become insufferable.

Stripping away the general cloud of irritation, there are bits I liked. The beat-for-beat lowlife crime caper plotline was a fun match for the Scavengers. Krok as a Triple-M... was that already confirmed? I don't remember it. I wonder if that applies to most of the other Action Masters that have turned up in IDW? A bit of intrigue regarding Grimlock? I'm down for that. The G1 Ark crash gag. The Magisterian Gender gag. Overall, there's a shitload of meta humour in here... too much... but sometimes it lands well.

The standup comedy bit was... overkill. Some amusing little bits in there, but... at the same time, pretty unnecessary.

Interesting that Krok named himself after his pet according to Skullcruncher.... while Skullcruncher transforms into a croc. Hm. Well, at least nobody's named "Gatoraider". :redface2: 

The art was alright, but not Milne's best. It could be that Shearer as an inker doesn't bring out the Milne magic. I was reading digitally on a pretty big screen, and the linework just isn't as lush some of the stuff from last season. It's sad enough that we lost Burcham on colours... I hope Milne can go back to inking his own stuff consistently.

No. I'm hearing you loud and clear. We're on the same page, buddy. :thumb 

And we're not alone...

OMG! Yeah, that's totally what it feels like. :eek: 

NOPE. :( 

I'm actually finding it interesting just how many long time readers of MTMTE, people who really felt invested in the story, the characters, and the writing style, who have been quite active in the online community surrounding this series... have gone completely off this series this year.

I mean, I get it. It's exactly how I feel. But it's both depressing and encouraging to hear the exact same sentiments coming from many others; encouraging because it means it's not just me. I'm not deluded or a lone crank; but depressing too, because... well... I used to love this series, and I was recommending it and singing its praises all the time... and now I just can't do that anymore. Dammit. :mad 

Anyway, under different circumstances, I think this might have been an okay issue. But now I just see it as part of the ongoing problem.

zmog

3. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Just finished reading it. Loved it.
    Keep it up JR and don't change a thing.

4. SMOG

But he already changed... :( 

zmog

5. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I note Krok doesn't seem to be in the 'all transformers, or at least decepticons, are equal regardless of construction,' crowd. Look at how he talks about Biteback for being a MTO!

6. SMOG

Yup. But that's not so surprising really. There will always be biases. Considering that MTOs were only made as disposable warriors, maybe it is surprising when they make something more of themselves. After all, it's not just a question of cosmic determinism... it's more that you literally know that you were made as a second-rate rush job. Poor MTOs.

Of course, Krok's one to talk. He's cold-constructed himself... Misfire may be annoying, but at least he's forged, right? :wink: 

zmog

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Late to the party. This issue did feel like more filler but it was enjoyable filler. I actually found the jokes somewhat funny, unlike the ones in 41-43. Loved the jabs at and homages to previous bits of TF. This is the sort of stuff I want. TF stuff in a TF comic. Not random pop culture, even if I do love Doctor Who. Also, obvious misdirection with the DJD was obvious but it's cool seeing Fort Max again.

8. l0te

l0te Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I liked it. I definitely feel people's complaints about cutesy/filler, though. Still, I'd rather have this--and even sitcom holoworld--than dance party not!funeral (I mean really?) with all kinds of buildup and an unsatisfying ending, and multiple plot holes.

That said, the Scavangers have been goofy idiots since they were introduced, and I was glad to see them again. And I'm pretty hype for Fort Max's return. He was a favorite of mine.

9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It strikes me how the autobot MTOs we know get more respect- Brainstorm, Getaway, Riptide, Ambulon. Everyone knows Brainstorm as the scientist-who-does-dangerous-stuff, Getaway as the escapist, and their making really doesn't come up.

It sorta says to me that the Decepticon emphasis on strength ruling- that is to say being stronger makes you better- overwhelms the egalitarian elements that kicked things off, to the point that even some of the original inequalities being fought are probably pretty darn strong in the Decepticons. Generalizing from Krok and the lack of reaction to trashing someone because they're a MTO, to be sure, but the Scavengers are kinda 'everybot' figures, normal in a lot of ways.

10. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Brainstorm is cold construct he is forged. I think Scavengers are not respect is more to do with the fact is they suck at their jobs and being deceptions in general. Misfire and Fulcrum are forged.

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Brainstorm's original name was 'Genitus of Operation: Solar Storm,' i.e. he's a wartime cold constructed Made-to-Order soldier who's name has become a byword for dangerous-yet-impressive science.

The Scavengers are mostly cold constructed, but it seems like they're all first wave CCs.

12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

The meta-humor is too much most of the time, yeah.

I like to think it's just that Sophomore Slump, that second season downtrend. That same feeling I get when I watch the Transformers '87 movie and get past the Autobot City attack. From Prime dying up until the last twenty minutes or so of the film, I kind of zone out. All of that middle content is just less fun to me.

Hopefully it'll all lead up to a great payoff at the end of the series. Roberts said he wrote it out to be a 100-issue series. We're already half-way there. I keep reading this series waiting for it to get in to that "last twenty minutes". I still enjoy it. Just not as much this season.

13. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Nah, I think the newness just wore off and you're getting bored with it now.

14. SMOG

Well, let's remember that Brainstorm also put on airs and pretended to be Forged whenever he could. Which is not to say that most Autobots would have treated him differently, but that he had those biases in himself.

On a related note, in spite of his recent shows of nobility, I hope we don't lose sight of Brainstorm's posturing, cowardly, jealous aspects as well... I think those clear personality flaws made him much more enjoyable as a part of the cast.

The Scavengers are half CC... if you count Grimlock at least. Fulcrum and Misfire are forged, and who knows what Flywheels was. :) 

Some of them could be MTOs... Krok may subtly look down on MTOs, but I don't think he hates them necessarily.

No, not at all. That's a bit dismissive. It has nothing to do with boredom and novelty. It has to do with content.

In fact, I just recently went back to some of the first season material, and it really does read differently. The pacing and the tone is quite noticeably different compared to the recent stuff.

Given the sheer number of people who have begun expressing the same complaints around the same time, I don't think logic supports the notion that it's "all in our heads". :p 

zmog

15. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Ah, good point.

Right.

Also, I think that Perceptor standing up at the trial meant a ton for him. All that posturing around Percy, who we all know 100% realized Brainstorm's jealousy... and the guy claps for Brainstorm.

Scrapmetal?

Yea, I don't think he hates them, it's more he discounts them is my impression.

The old hatreds are largely buried, but the less-overt biases and discriminations remain.

I agree it's not in our heads, though at the same time I'll note the tendency to reinforce each other.

And even with the complaints, I maintain my stance that none of the TF books since the start of the two ongoing era have been bad. They've had rougher patches to be sure, but not enough to get into 'bad' territory in my book. Even the weaker stuff is probably around the better parts of the old ongoing, and that was still pretty readable and had it's strong parts.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:

I have to disagree. I've definitely felt a change as well. Used to love bantering and the joking -still do-, but it's been turned up to eleven. More of the same is not always a good thing, even though it had much before, I feel it had the perfect balance, and now it doesn't.

Season 2 just feels much more uneven to me personally. The only bit in season 1 I did not like was the Hedonia trip, now I just find myself more annoyed with the constant meta-references and over the topness. It's like Zelda games..a bad Zelda game is still better than a lot of other games, but with a bar so high ones that feel less than stellar easily become a bit of a letdown.

But ah, season 2 DID have the quantum duplicate and time travel arcs, two all-time highs in the entire series in my opinion.

Just my two cents. :eek: 

17. Quizzical Xenon

Quizzical Xenon Why do I need a title?

I
    FUCKING
    LOVE
    THIS
    ISSUE!!!

I think Spinister might be an MTO due to his evil sounding name, the fact that his favorite past time is to hunt "fleshies", and he's also a fantastic surgeon and incredibly stupid at the same time.

18. SMOG

I think some of it has been bad, but I agree that it's more a factor of tone. It has been changing its style, and not for the better. It's becoming a series that may be enjoyable for some folks, but it's not the Transformers series I want to read (or the series I started reading 3 years ago).

Exactly.

Those were great stories. Some of the elements and excesses that have been bothering me lately are still in evidence since the beginning of this season, but they've still been outweighed by the awesome.

It's only been really the last 5 issues or so that I feel the balance has really shifted into the negative column for me... but then, that's practically half a year already... so as far as "rough patches" go, it's still pretty substantial.

zmog

19. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the same.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I agree. I've been re-reading season 1, and despite not being "new" it's still great.