MTMTE 34 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Digilaut, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because Grimlock won't let Tarn be king. :p 

2. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am curious about that as well. I wonder what Grimlock is going do when he sees Ultra Magnus.

3. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I'd rather get back to the Scavangers than see more of the DJD right now.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Same.

5. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

Most likely nothing because Grimlock has suffered a lot of brain damage.

6. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Probably nothing against him. Fighting an Autobot after undoubtedly hunting Decepticons is probably a drastic change. Hunting deserters, then fighting his true enemies, c'mon?

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I know, right? Weirdly, that little detail is the thing that has me most curious about Tarn... maybe more than anything else.

Yup. I'm with you there.

Nah, it's more than that. Tarn's response to Grimlock is very specific and very personal. Those guys have a history. I'm just curious what that history will be. Hopefully more than just "we fought before".

zmog

8. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

No, Roberts would never do that.

It's gonna be "We fought before at X famous battle and the deaths were all TE EXTREM!".

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Give Roberts a little more credit than that. It´s not we´re talking poor writing here.

That part is reserved for the DJD.

Probably because Grimlock is infamous between the Decepticon ranks or he offed members of the DJD at one point.

10. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's more than that, there's definitely some personal history between them imo 'I've always hated you' implies a long standing emnity over the standard Bot/Con rivalry.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Perhaps Tarn hates Grimlock because he's rebellious. Tarn leads a group designed to scare Decepticons into staying in line by killing those who don't. Plus, it speculated he's
    Dominus Ambus, which would make a desire for order something that runs deep through Clan Ambus.
    Perhaps Tarn simply can't stand rebellion, even when it's on the enemies' side.

12. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    That makes a lot of sense.

13. SMOG

I don't think it's something that straightforward. This is some kind of grudge. I think these guys have some history... maybe even something from Tarn's "past life" (whatever that may be).

Also, I guess Grimlock's been out of commission for a good long time. That's something that often gets overlooked. He disappeared after ambushing Shockwave, and then passed practically directly into Autobot custody (at Garrus 9). Seems like Tarn would have been pretty surprised to find Grimlock in a life-support capsule. :) 

zmog

14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Its been implied that Grimlock used to be a Decepticon.

-Grimlock is seen among the Transformers in Megatron's Decepticon recruitment drive way back in Megatron Origins
    -Grimlock seen in a flashback, contemplating a Decepticon and Autobot badge
    -Tarn's clear hatred for him personally
    -Most importantly Tarn's line:
    "To those of you who can still hear me- Congratulations. You've been added to the List. And Grimlock- Don't worry. We'll work our way down to you evenutally".

To me that line definitely reads as "Grimlock is already on the list and he'll eventually be their target" more then "When they've done the list they'll come get him". The words "work our way down" definitely are referring to working their way down the list.

I don't know if the "-Acy" series has screwed it all up (wouldn't suprise me) but taking into account all the foreshadowing in MTMTE, I definitely think Grimlock is a turncoat.

15. SMOG

Oh yeah, I forgot about that line.

I think the idea that Grimlock might have been on the fence has been batted around Transformer fictions for quite a while now. It feels natural that someone who worships strength and "might as right" could be tempted by the miltarism and meritocracy of the Decepticon movement.

There's clearly some potential for a great story there... much more interesting than any of that stuff from "Monstrosity".

Yeah, this thought makes me sad. The mad dash to align the Dinobots with their other versions in the recent canon (Beast Hunters, Fall of Cybertron) didn't actually do anybody any favours.

zmog

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Agreed. I think it was more of a mad dash, in the particular case of Flint Dille, to write his own take on Grumpy Badass Grimlock that Furman codified in The War Within.

Having the Dinobots be ex-Primal Vanguard was actually brilliant, but their "monster" phase was emphatically not.

I think the only place left for Grimlock to go is defecting to the Decepticons, and re-fecting to the Autobots, at some point in the height of the Great War. After all of the -acys, maybe even after Hell's Point.

17. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    That makes so much sense.

18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt even if Grimlock remembers the history he has with Tarn. When Tarn left Grimlock to the Scavengers the Dynobot barely recognized him or Decepticons for that matter. Tarn mentions that "Grimlock you are among the worst Decpeticons ever" If Grimlock had his intelligence he would realize the Scavengers are the worst Decepticons ever. Tarn meant as an insult.

19. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

I think it's this, it works best and continues what Dreamwave did where Grimlock was originally a Decepticon but then swapped over. I'd wager it makes more sense that way.

After his Primal Vanguard days, he needs something to to do and so joins the underground battle pits and by extension the Decepticons when they're officially formed. However he realises he doesn't believe in the Decepticons goals and only wanted to part of the fighting pits because it was the perfect outlet for him. Hey, this is more or less exactly what happened in the War Within as well. Ho hum

20. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

What's the timeline between the end of Primacy and when Grimlock and the Dynobots head for Earth in Spotlight: Shockwave? I feel like that is the only time in which Grimlock could have defected to the Decepticons. He never seemed like he had actually joined the Decepticon cause prior to the "-acy" series' from the brief part we saw in Autocracy.

Also, it seems very weird that Grimlock would be leading the Dynobots in the "-acy" series', switch over to the Decepticons, re-join the Autobots, and be welcomed back as the leader of the Dynobots again. The only way I see it being possible is if all the Dynobots switched allegiances, or if Grimlock only joined the Decepticons as some sort of Autobot spy.

Now that I think about it, my new theory is that he tried to join the Decepticons while working as a spy for the Autobots, they accepted him for a time and then he went back to the Autobots. That would explain why Tarn hates him so much. Maybe Tarn vouched for him at one point?